FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber Mug Question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber Mug Question
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 10:01 am   Permalink

Congrats on the find. I was psyched last year when I got a gold one with a few FB's and a small chip in the back on evilbay for $100.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:09 am   Permalink

O.K., here is MY guess at what the signature says :

"Mumonde Ouglioni" ...huh !?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 02:04 am   Permalink

The person I bought it from thought it was signed Vernon de Origo. Seemed plausible to me. Here's a pic of the bottom of my mug:

There's a third signature on a green Don mug at tikiroom.net that's similar, but when I tried to access the pic their website was down. Maybe we can get someone to look at all three pics and decipher it at some point.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 12:11 pm   Permalink

My edition of the mug is older I'm guessing, it's glazed on the bottom & no signature at all, long neck. I want to look further into it. Interesting Tom I know there is a story here. I'm just glad you have the mug what a treasure! How's that PhD. reading coming along? we need to go out! Hi Ilene and tiki in the oven. Give a shout out to the tummy for me!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 10:03 pm   Permalink

Kelly,

Nothing like a good mystery! Somebody out there has to know a handwriting expert...

We'll solve the Don puzzle one of these days.

Ilene (Pirate Chick) says hi! Tiki in the oven waves hello (sorry...no sonogram available this week).

The reading for the PhD exam is going slowly but surely.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody and having a mai tai at the Big Tiki Bash on the 21st and Sam's on the 28th.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 02:44 am   Permalink

Here's a third signature from the bottom of another green Don head that was posted on http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/marked/aly.jpg.html

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 2:06 pm   Permalink

HA HA....so this is saying it is a VERMONDE ORIGINAL !

...not that I have any idea who or what Vermonde was. Obviously the ceramicist or kiln. A search on google yielded this:

>>Did you mean to search for: VERMIN <<

No!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-26 4:19 pm   Permalink

Yep, I think it is Vermonde. Here's another signature off an ultra rare Don mug I'd never seen before on e-Bay or in the wild. It just says "Vermonde" on it.

Found the pic again at
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/marked/air.jpg.html

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-26 5:44 pm   Permalink

I've got a coconut mug by Don that says "Desert Ceramics" on the bottom so Don definitely got around.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-26 6:25 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-07-26 17:44, naugatiki wrote:
I've got a coconut mug by Don that says "Desert Ceramics" on the bottom so Don definitely got around.
[/quote

My friend Kristin gets around too so, what does all this mean.....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-20 11:12 pm   Permalink

Sorry if this is not "NEW" tiki knowledge but I just got some information while trying to find out about a mug on another thread that was shaped like a model RC engine that was stamped DAGA on the bottom.
I received a few emails from Dan, the owner of DAGA Hawaii LLC and he had mentioned the following in one of the emails:

"Aloha Scott:

Went to Tiki Central - cool site - remember so many mugs from 70' & 80's. Many times we would make pieces and they didn't have the Daga bottom stamp. Mojority of those were designed and manf in our factory on Oahu.

We made all the original Trader Vics pieces. No Daga on most of them, some would have the PP. The Sneaky Tiki from Trader Vics might have the PP on the oldest ones. Tahitian Lani too.

Used to go to various Tiki sites and fill in the blanks for Tikis or other shapes "unknown maker". Got any ??? on where from- let me know. Most of our pieces have a story behind them. Seen the Original Don the Beachcomber head with hat. We did that with Don The Beach as a model."

I then sent him two pictures of these mugs, the long neck one and the short neck one and asked him if either of these was one of his and got an email back saying:
"Hi Scott:

The 1st pic is ours - got the same one in our office. Was thinking last night about early PP mugs. The Maui Lu was a different design face (very simple) to begin with and was in lt blue-called Tonga. Then went to a larger version in "gold" with the more tiki design. Same color as most of our bamboo mugs. Shape has always been the curve. Maui Lu is smaller version in brown at their request as it was a give away with ticket purchase. That is why the embossed name also.

So Here's the mug he said was a DAGA(or PP) mug:

Anyways sorry again if this has already been established... I hope to someday get one of these mugs for my collection...

Aloha
Scott

www.BeachBumz.com

[ This Message was edited by: beachbumz 2009-05-21 13:15 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfalaia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 1:30 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:40 ]

View Profile of surfalaia Send a personal message to surfalaia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 12:32 pm   Permalink

The Daga said mug looks like mine.Its a two color glaze.It looks very cool in person.
I would like to eventually find a green Don to add my collection as well.
This appears to be the short version.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 08:48 am   Permalink

I've read through this thread twice, and looked on Ooga-Mooga, concerning the gold/brown "short neck" Don mug.
First, it looks like there are two different, but similar designs. One is "smoother", and has less detail (see the picture posted by 'beachbumz', above - apparently from Tiki Shaker's Ooga-Mooga collection). Not certain, but it looks like it might have an unglazed bottom. I see at least two of these, on Ooga-Mooga.
Compare that with the picture posted above, by '1961surf', and on page 2, by 'ModMana'. This design has more definition, and a glazed bottom. I see at least 4 in Ooga-Mooga. There is no mention or notice on Ooga-Mooga that there are two separate versions of the mug.
Now, to further complicate things. On page 2, 'boutiki' mentions a late-90's knock-off version, which Sven then identifies as having been produced by the execrable (some would say) Allen St.James, AKA Tiki Trader. So, which design did he copy? Or, is one of the designs the knock-off, in toto? Sven mentions an Asian look. The detailed design does have a sort of Asian/hapa haole look, more on some than others, possibly depending on how the glaze settled.
Does anyone have any information on the alleged knock-offs, or suggestions on how to identify/differentiate them? I found and bought the mug, pictured below, at a small town junk/collectable store, recently. If authentic, it was a good deal - not terribly expensive, but not cheap, either. If it's the knock-off... I don't know. I'm wondering if I'm a champ or a chump. Can anyone shed further light on this? I'll keep it in my small collection, anyway, but... I gots to know!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-26 17:44, naugatiki wrote:

I have one that's stamped "Tepper Bar Supply".
I think they are out of Venice California.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation