[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Flea Market Follies
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Flea Market Follies
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-26 8:29 pm   Permalink

I was in Sacramento a few months back and wen't to their big swap meet. They have an antique section under a tent. There was a little old lady with hundreds of mugs cups and ceramic junk. I asked her if she had anything Hawaiian. She perked up and said "TIKI MUGS? They sell so fast I cant keep 'em on the shelves"

I hit a pawn/antique shop here in Wailuku. The guy said that everyone comes in looking for tiki mugs.

I'm going to have to be really lucky to find any for a bargin, seems the word's out.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-26 9:06 pm   Permalink

KCTiki & 8ftTiki You guys are in the right mindset with these types of people.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-10 09:26 am   Permalink

One way to spot a green horn dealer is when they refer to the Ku figures in the formal "Tiki God" rather than the familiar "Tiki". Then you know you're going to get a deal.

The Waikikian Tiki Gardens Tour
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-10 1:53 pm   Permalink

Over the weekend, I was at my typical weekend swapmeet and stumbled upon 2 thick plastic "Kona Coffee Mill" handled tiki mugs. I asked the guy how much and he said "5 bucks for both". I responded "how bout 3 for both?" His response was "No way man, those are hand carved out of wood." I replied, "umm not thier not, they are plastic." He frowned and was like, oh ok, 3 bucks it is.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTrevor on 2004-03-10 13:54 ]

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 6:35 pm   Permalink

Just came back from a junk shop near Houston. I'm taken aback by a nice 10" tall Maori wall plaque with abalone eyes. I flip it over and happily read "$6.95" (despite the $37.50 original price still on it - NZ money?). Then I stifle my laughter when I read, in spite of the label also stating "Hand carved in Rotorua, N.Z.", the seller's name for the item above her price: "Foo dog"!!

Uh, no.

Not a tiki mislabeling, but another that I remembered from several years ago: I picked up a small statue of Michaelangelo's "Moses" (you know, the one with funky rays of light coming out of his head, looking more like horns, which in fact they'd been mistranslated as being). The statue is labled, "Old man with book." We howled, then starting making a game of the most ignorant names we could think of for EVERYthing. Even Moses got renamed "Horny old man." (Sorry, Moses.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-29 6:11 pm   Permalink

I go to this Thrift store by my work during lunch at least once a week. I have found a few good mugs there in the past (Don the BC Rum Barrel, TV Seahorse...) for reasonable prices (roughly 6 bucks each). Today I was there during lunch. They keep their "Good Stuff" behind the register. I saw a tiki sitting back there so I asked to see it. It was a leilani mug for 15 bucks. So of course I didnt buy it. I just paids the 3 bucks for the Mai Kia Headhunter Mug I found there and walked out. Awww Yaaaaaa

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-16 7:06 pm   Permalink

I was at an antique store this weekend... the type where the guy behind the counter has a snooty (but phoney) accent & attitude. I found 2 Karate Punch mugs (which I have 4 of...) priced at $15 each. Now I don't know about everywhere else, but in the midwest, Karate Punch mugs are a dime a dozen. I thought about informing the guy about how grossly over priced they were, but I'm sure he didn't care.

The kicker?
One of the mugs still had a 25 cent sticker on it from the thrift store where they found it.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation