FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA (bar)
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2004-02-25 03:48 am   Permalink

Name:Trad'r Sam
Type:bar
Street:6150 Geary Blvd
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:94121
Phone:(415) 221-0773

Description:
Trader Sam's is a modern-day institution mixing a 1960's drink menu with a modern (sometimes too modern) crowd. Actually, Trader Sam's has quite a few surprises that make it quite interesting for both the classic connoisseur and the new Tiki Traditionalist.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:58 am   Permalink

martiki paid you to post that review, right Hanford?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 12:01 pm   Permalink

http://tradrsam.com/

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-27 2:10 pm   Permalink

You forgot to mention the "retro" sticky floor, and the unique experience of drinking polynesian cocktails out of salad bowls...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-02-27 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-25 11:58, thejab wrote:
martiki paid you to post that review, right Hanford?

Hey!

I like my drink in a salad bowl, dammit. I've said it before and I'll say it again: go early the avoid the the frat slobs. Find a corner and settle in. DON'T look too closely at what you're sitting on. I mean, it wouldn't be a dive bar if it was nice, right?

If you don't know what to get, try the Sabotage. It's not as sweet as some of the others. Also the Scorpion Bowl is good- made with the finest screw top mini champagne you can buy.

And who knows...if the stories are true, Trader Vic may have stolen the name from Sam!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:27 pm   Permalink

Here's a 1949 photo and some info on Trad'r Sam, from outsidelands.org:

San Francisco's first television station was KPIX which went on the air in December 1948, followed by KRON & KGO in July 1949. The novelty of television was a big draw for bar customers, who could relax and enjoy the new technological miracle while sipping a relaxing beverage amidst the congeniality of old friends (it says here). Trad'r Sam's at 26th Avenue and Geary Blvd. made sure people knew they were wired in this 1949 photo.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-02-02 2:57 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Sam's Update:

Just popped in for a quick one the other night and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that they have reupholstered the whole place! All the great rattan booths look good as new, and the whole place seemed like it had had a massive spring cleaning. You can really see all the great detail again, including the famous booths and the most incredible curved 1930s bar in town. Go see an old friend again- you'll be glad you did.

And the Sabotage was still good!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-02-03 08:01 am   Permalink

You know, in my continuing quest to see that Trad'r Sam's gets some respect...

Has anyone ever noticed that...

Trad'r Sam's is the OLDEST TIKI BAR ON PLANET EARTH

One location, in continuous operation since the 1930s.

TraderJonah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-29 02:59 am   Permalink

How are the drink prices on Scorpion Bowls? How many people will they serve?

Thanks

View Profile of TraderJonah Send a personal message to TraderJonah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-29 5:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 02:59, TraderJonah wrote:
How are the drink prices on Scorpion Bowls? How many people will they serve?

Thanks

I don't remember the price, but their bowls serve one "MIG"!
(TC member who always orders a bowl-type drink for himself during the crawl and holds it like it is his golden chalice!)
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 11:54 am   Permalink

Photos compliments/stolen from Tikifish and MaiTai

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 9:28 pm   Permalink

What ever happened to that Mig Guy? Does he have a new name now?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 9:43 pm   Permalink

He's got a new dame now. Seriously, he's about thisclose to married these days (to AppleVenus!), and we hardly get to see him anymore, even though they live right up the street.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 11:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-03 08:01, martiki wrote:
You know, in my continuing quest to see that Trad'r Sam's gets some respect...

Has anyone ever noticed that...

Trad'r Sam's is the OLDEST TIKI BAR ON PLANET EARTH

One location, in continuous operation since the 1930s.

Thank you!!!!! So true!!! I love Sam's. Unfortunately my Geary area friends have all moved away recently so I don't get over there much--the now-in-Portland pal particularly is longing for Sam's, the Geary Irish pubs, and the Valano in Vallejo. I keep pointing out that Portland has divine dive bars, but if it weren't for the Alibi he'd probably have opened a vein by now.

Anyway--Sam's rules!!!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 10:31 am   Permalink

I miss Trad'r Sams too!!! And Miggggggg!!!

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation