FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA (bar)
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 8:36 pm   Permalink

This is the oldest Tiki Bar on earth ?? I think I stumbled into this place 10 years ago but I had no idea.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Tropicals and that drink called the Sabotage ?? Does it also date back to the 1930's ??

Also with regards to posting pictures of napkins, I don't care where the image originates from as long as the napkin is clean. That thing was gross !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-27 8:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 20:34, Bora Boris wrote:
This is becoming a big quotey mess -

"Your definition of "ownership" with regards to Tikiyaki Orchestra mp3's is different."

Right but you could see how some people might argue differently, you've probably experienced it and let's not even discuss album cover art

Touche', but I DID give credit to the photographer in the "Swingin' Sounds" CD credits. And to further my point, if not for the TC post by Sabu, I wouldn't even HAVE that album cover....he got thanked in the CD liner notes as well. And for the record, I didn't use the photo from his post...I was lucky enough to find that issue of Argosy Magazine.....talk about dumb luck.

As far the post being edited... I didn't realize that the pic was not credited at first. I'm still glad that the pic was made available. Still, being that Biff chimed in and was credit was given, I say fine.

I don't think people take this stuff for granted. Hopefully, there won't be another TC crash that destroys all the photos, like what happened a few years ago. TC is now the ultimate reference resource for all these places that no longer exist. I think it's a good thing. If this is the only record of this stuff in 20 years, then it's worth it.

As far as any awkwardness next time I see you, this kinda stuff doesn't bother me. Besides, I hated you long before this

As far as what TC "used to be"....Well...nothing gold can stay Ponyboy. I

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-27 20:59 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-11-27 9:13 pm   Permalink

You got me! I posted that about the cover, I thought I was on a roll and was feeling good but then I checked it and saw that I was WRONG! I went back and removed it but it was too late you'd already quoted me. Ha!

It is a great cover, nicely done Jim!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 9:34 pm   Permalink

I'm with DC on this one - I appreciate his posts and never cared if they were his items or not.

None of us own the copyrights to these images, so that is a non-issue.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-27 9:35 pm   Permalink

Gotcha.

Like I said....I am really glad for post by Sven, Sabu, Kate, DC, and everyone else on here who posts images....It's fascinating to see all this stuff that I would never get to see otherwise.

Like I said, TC is THE public archive for all these great images now. I guess we all have our differing opinions on this subject, but for me the more eye candy the better.

Anyway, that drink at Trader Sam's that Tikitastic is having looks tasty...whatever it is.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-27 21:35 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-27 9:42 pm   Permalink

DC
I don't have a problem with you posting the items I win on ebay. what I have a problem with is when you post them and make it seem like they are your items "here is a tradr sam napkin, I still need to find the matchbook" As far as me posting my winnings I dont need to, you do it for me.

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-11-27 9:45 pm   Permalink

Here it is again

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-27 10:08 pm   Permalink

bora boris
thanks for standing up for the little guy

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 10:43 pm   Permalink

I am wondering about all those items on e-bay that are won by non-TC members, and that would indeed disappear from view if folks like DC do not clip them? Those are important reference pieces for us here on TC, to know what all is out there. I am very grateful that some members diligently scan e-bay and post what they think relates to certain threads, it's part of TC's fun to bring the ephemera puzzle for a place a little closer to completion. I do that in my books, I pull images from all available sources, put them into context and thus expand their meaning. And I get to do so in large part thanks to the generosity of my friends and collectors who gladly share their possessions for the spreading TIKI awareness.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-27 10:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 22:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am wondering about all those items on e-bay that are won by non-TC members, and that would indeed disappear from view if folks like DC do not clip them? Those are important reference pieces for us here on TC, to know what all is out there. I am very grateful that some members diligently scan e-bay and post what they think relates to certain threads, it's part of TC's fun to bring the ephemera puzzle for a place a little closer to completion. I do that in my books, I pull images from all available sources, put them into context and thus expand their meaning. And I get to do so in large part thanks to the generosity of my friends and collectors who gladly share their possessions for the spreading TIKI awareness.

What HE said.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 11:02 pm   Permalink

Bifcozz,

I used to post the name of the winner of the ebay items that I grabbed images from and got a PM asking me not to do that any more, so I stopped. In the future, I will make sure that if I post an image from an item that you won on ebay I will cite that you own the item if that is what you want.

I understand your point on how my original post was constructed, it was misleading and not my intention. I was actually referring to Tiki-Kate's Trad'r Sam matchbook that I have been trying to get for a long time. I won it once on ebay and it was never shipped to me... but I digress.

I would hope that you can find the time to post more of your amazing collection here on TC. The main reason I add the images from the unique items I see on ebay is that they end up dissapearing into private collections never to be seen again.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-14 6:40 pm   Permalink

It's been a while since I posted on this one. Kind of sorry that Bifcozz got mad at me before.

I finally got a Trad'r Sams matchbook, it's one of those cool little midgets.

I also saw a different matchbook variety on ebay that advertised the signature drink as the Banana Cow.

Anybody been lately? Is the neon sign working these days?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-05 10:46 am   Permalink

There was a short article about Trad'r Sams in the local paper. Here is the link and the article.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainment/food-and-wine/2013/04/san-francisco-bar-trad-r-sam-s-whips-icy-drinks-tiki-setting

San Francisco bar Trad’r Sam whips up icy drinks in tiki setting
By: Brendan P. Bartholomew | 04/25/13 8:14 PM

Get cozy in one of the ornate rattan booths, and you might feel like you have journeyed back to a 1930s-era tiki lounge. And while the “Star Wars”-themed pinball machine and flat-screen TVs showing sports and Hong Kong action films serve as reminders of the modern era, one look at the tropical drink menu’s prices will convince you that it’s 1995 — the potent Scorpion Bowl, for instance, serves four and costs just $14. And most of the delightful ice cream and liqueur drinks are just $6.50. Trad’r Sam has been a fixture in the Outer Richmond district since Sam Baden opened it in 1937. Dorothy Riedel and her brother, John Munguia, have been in charge since their parents bought the bar from its second owner in 1978. Bartender Fred Sor came onboard 13 years ago. Fred got his start at a sports bar in San Mateo. Because Trad’r Sam is popular with college students, Sor is politely aggressive about checking IDs. And his passion for Asian cinema led him to declare that every Monday at the bar is officially Asian Movie Night.

Trad’r Sam, 6150 Geary Blvd., (415) 221-0773, no website

Blender drinks are so much work that some bartenders will just lie and claim the blender’s broken. Do you ever feel tempted to do that?

No, I’m totally used to making blender drinks, and I wouldn’t have the option anyway because we have six blenders.

How much ice cream do you go through in a night?

It’s hard to say. It’s either all or nothing. If somebody orders an ice cream drink, then everybody who sees it wants one. If it’s a cold night, on the other hand, then nobody orders them.

Back in the 1990s, Trad’r Sam’s seemed to draw a young crowd. Is that still the case?

We get a decent mix, but I do notice a lot of younger people, a lot of kids from USF and S.F. State.

Do you get any “crusty, old salt”-type characters?

Well we usually open by noon, so yeah, some of those.

Which Asian movies are you particularly excited about?

I’m a huge Stephen Chow fan. He’s known for doing kung fu comedies with lots of slapstick humor, films like “Kung Fu Hustle” and “Shaolin Soccer.” When I bring his movies in, they really draw people’s attention.

What does that tattoo on your forearm mean?

It’s me and my brother’s names, but if you put them together it kind of means “victory.”

Chocolate Banana

1 oz. rum
½ oz. banana liqueur
½ oz. creme de cacao
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
½ banana
Half and half (eyeball the amount)
Blend with ice. Line inside of sundae-style glass with chocolate syrup before adding blender contents. Top with whipped cream.

--
I live near here and sadly never see the sign lit up.

Denise

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 12:27 pm   Permalink

Found this early photo of Trad'r Sam from 1941.

The picture was included in a form that was written to petition the State to make the Tonga Room at the Fairmont a registered historical landmark.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation