FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Is this a no-no?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Is this a no-no?
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 10:09 am   Permalink

I do homebrewing as an hobby, & got inspiration at the Hawaiian Room Resurection last Sept. when i noticed alot of people drinking beer instead of Mai Tais, Zombies, etc... Last November i brewed a prototype beer with peach extract. I know there are alot of beer drinking purist out there that dont like fruit flavorings in there beer, i know, i was one of you, but it turned out great! I used just enough peach extract to give a hint of peach flavoring, but still maintain beer flavor as well. This weekend i'm planing on brewing my tiki beer, a Mango Hefeweizen, is this a tiki no-no? Also I have a kegorator at home with 2 taps, was thinking of having a tiki tap handle (not a vintage tiki), is this a no-no? Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. if the tiki beer turns out as good as the prototype, i will bring some bottles to tiki oasis for tastings.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-02-25 10:22 am   Permalink

sounds great, the beer and the tap handle!
Over in England, when I couldn't find a good pint of guinness, I'd somtimes go for their ciders. It never tasted like you were drinking alcohol.
As far as beer being a tiki no-no...I'll be honest, if I had the choice between a properly poured pint of guinness and a mai-tai...I'd go with the guinness. Usually, that delemma never comes up as you won't find a good pint where good mai tais are and vice versa.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 10:23 am   Permalink

TikiBird~

I've never done homebrewing, but I'd love to sample your suds.

The reason why you saw so many people drinking beer at The Hawaiian Room was simply because the bartender (as hard as she tried), just could not keep up with the overwhelming amount of drinks she had to mix. Remember, The Hawaiian Room, before our gathering, was a quiet bar that had no more than a dozen people in it at one time. So, drinks were easy to handle. The time it took to get a drink became so long at the gathering, that alot of people informally agreed to just order beer so that it was easy for the bartender to get and it would cut the wait time down dramatically.

Honestly, the only way to get a great Mai Tai at any of our get togethers is to have AlnShely, TheJab, DoctorZ, Martiki as well as other TC Mixologists to be the Premier Bartenders of the evening.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 10:34 am   Permalink

Tiki Bird!

Fly on over to the store/shop anytime and I'd be glad to taste your tiki beer for you! (well, after work that is) Mango Hefe sounds awesome!

Crazy Al just did a Tiki Tapper Topper for a customer of ours. He was very pleased.

In my book, this is a Yes-Yes!

p.s. some of our guts can't handle mega doses of rum and acid. King kuku, C'Al and AlnShell have seen this happen to someone before.

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-02-25 10:36 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 10:37 am   Permalink

Tiki Bird, any kind of beer in my opinion, is a Tiki No-No. But so what? I do love a good beer. Hefeweizen's are my favorite.

A few months back, I chanced upon Hula Hefeweizen at The Yard House - (from their manufacturer's website) Medium to full-bodied with a pronounced banana/herbal flavor and aroma. This beer's unique flavor profile is a result of the special type of Bavarian yeast strain used to brew the beer. Its manufactured by
Kona Brewing Company of Kona, Hawaii. I chose it specifically because the handle pull was a Hula Girl bobbler and it was delicious.

That Mango Hefe sounds good. Maybe I can sample it at the next TC gig? A nice tiki for your bar pull should look really cool. I know Monkeyman has made something similar to this before when he made the legs to his tiki ottoman. You should give him a buzz - would look cool in a home tiki bar.

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop on 2004-02-25 11:27 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 10:49 am   Permalink

We recently made our first Hefeweizen from scratch. That banana/clove aroma is just fantastic! We actually added 3 mashed up bananas to enhance the flavor, very tasty!
At some point we will be installing kegs and taps into the regular(non-tiki) bar. We already have the kegs and co2, but we're still looking for some custom tap handles! A tiki one will definitely have to be in the mix.
That mango one sounds good, and since it's a hefe, it'll have the banana and clove undertones. Eeeeexcellent!

If I lived any closer, I'd suggest a trade!

Beer making is an excellent hobby. Once you get all the equipment you can be so creative! We'll be growing hops this year, definitely looking forward to that. Keep on brewing! Never deny yourself a good pint or two.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:25 am   Permalink

Save me a pint to sample!

I almost hate to admit it, but I was a fan of the microbrew craze of the 90s.... and I still prefer to order specialty beers when I'm out and craving a brew. Sorry, but a mai-tai just doesn't seem to go well with fish & chips, or the steamed clams & chowder at Longboards.....!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:27 am   Permalink

I recently bought a 6 pack of McAuslanes (sp?) apricot beer here in Canada and it was mighty tasty. Just a hint of fruityness.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:29 am   Permalink

http://www.bartowel.com/breweries/mcauslan.phtml

here's a link to some ionfo on the apricot beer. Thay also have pumpkin beer!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:40 am   Permalink

TikiBird,

I was drinking Bud's that night at the Hawaiian Room resurrection! To me guitar playing and beer go together like my hand and my, er... nevermind.

Not Tiki? Maybe not, but neither is this! (use your imagination).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:49 am   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 11:50 am   Permalink

I am not sure that any rules have been established about beer in Tiki world, other than that if you're in a Tiki Bar, you''d better be drinking a Tropical, or you're just not cool!

That said, whenever I'm NOT in Tikiland, good ol' beer is my drink, and I make my own too.

I like beers with fruit accents, as long as they're subtle. There are some very good Belgian cherry beers that I like. Tried my own once; came out pretty good. he key is making it subtle but present. If people are going to drop lemons into their Hefeweizens or limes into their Mexican beers, then why not some other fruit?

I say go for it on the peach beer (not a fan of peach flavors myself, although there was once this girl in Georgia... but I digress), but to each his own. Now the mango, on the other hand... I saw we all bring a case of homebrew to Hukilau or Oasis!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 1:46 pm   Permalink

Is Hinano Beer a Tiki no-no? No! No, I say!

Peach is a classic ingredient in Belgian Lambics. I know that Chapeau makes Tropical Lambics like Banana, but I don't know if they do a Mango. I did a quick search on
http://www.realbeer.com & found this recipe for a Tropical Fruit Red Ale: all malt, 5 gallons, partial mash with fruit.

I had a friend who made a fantastic Raspberry Ginger Mead, change the raspberry to Mango & your're good to go. I think this is the recipe he based his on.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-02-25 13:49 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 1:58 pm   Permalink

SCD, that makes sense. I had forgotten how packed the place was.

RBB, will definitely run by a sixer if it turns out good.

I goin to bottle the beer instead of kegging, due to its easier to hand out. I'm brewing on 2/29, it will take 2-3 weeks in fermentation and 1 month for carbonation before ready to taste. If all goes well should be ready to by 4/21. I'm goin to do a 3 galllon batch with a bavarian type yeast like PolyPop mentioned, so it will have the banana/clove/mango flavor and 3 gallon batch using a american hefeweizen yeast which has no banana/clove flavor. Should have a 3 cases of bottles to pass out at Tiki Oasis. Which ever one taste the best i'll do kegs of it for house tiki beer.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 2:53 pm   Permalink

Best beer I ever had was a local micro that made pumpkin beer one Fall.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation