[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cocktails Galore
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cocktails Galore
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-30 11:02 am   Permalink

Well, I have been looking through my books, and other than the scribble in my Bar log, so far I have only found one Cognac French 75. Complete World Bartender Guide, 1977. lists ingrediants as such.

1 1/2 oz Cognac
1 1/2 oz Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Powdered Sugar
Champagne.

For what it is worth...
T.K.

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-30 11:53 am   Permalink

Embury gives a French 75 recipe in "The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks" which is similar to the Complete World Bartender one posted above, but two older guides I have list the primary spirit as gin. The Emburry recipe...

Juice of 1 Lime or 1/2 Lemon
2 teaspoonfulls Sugar Syrup
2 ounces cognac

Shake with ice, pour into Collins glass...Fill up with Champagne

He adds: "Gin is sometimes used in place of cognac in this drink, but then, of course, it no longer should be called French."

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-04 9:03 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have a recipe for a Suffering Bastard? I've seen the mug, certainly, but I've never had one. There's a recipe at Webtender, but I don't trust it -- the recipes there often seem a little suspect to me.

In general, I'm trying to add some tropical drinks to my menu that are a little less sweet to keep the beer drinkers happy -- any suggestions, Tiki King?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-04 11:28 pm   Permalink

I love the idea of being able to submit a drink to a cocktail database. I have one I call Pineapple Princess!

Nice to see you back in action Atomic Cocktail (I think I did see a few more silver hairs on your head though recently). Oh by the way - your dad was over here running around naked and drunk - now we see where you get it from.

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-09-04 11:35 pm   Permalink

Here's the Suffering Bastard recipe from the Grog Log...

- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces chilled ginger ale
- dash angostura bitters
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 1 ounce gin

Mix in a double old fashioned glass with ice cubes. Garnish with mint sprig, orange wheel and marachino cherry.

Frankly, I don't thing it works all that well with gin. I have my own version that I based on the Suffering "B" on the Tiki-Ti menu...

- juice of 1 lime + a squirt of Rose's lime
- dash Peychaud's bitters
- 1/4 oz Orgeat
- 2 oz white rum
- 1 oz bourbon
- ginger ale

Mix in a Highball glass with ice cubes. a coupla shakes of the peychaud's bitters over the ice cubes, add lime (rose's optional), orgeat, rum and bourbon and then fill the glass with ginger ale (or ginger beer!). I like the result much better.

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho on 2002-09-04 23:40 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-04 11:59 pm   Permalink

Geez- the Suffering Bastard is an elusive recipe...It doesn't seem to be in any of my bar books. There's nothing wrong with beer, just make a rule that your guests must drink it from a Tiki mug.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-09-05 09:37 am   Permalink

HUMUHUMU - I had a luau last weekend with the dreaded beer/tropical drinker situation myself.

At first I thought about somehow distracting the beer drinkers; maybe leaving a trail of bottle caps and other little shiny objects that would attract their attention out to a truck parked outside. They could 'ooh' and 'ahh' at the tires, engine and drive train for about 6 hours until my gig was over.

Or maybe I could get 6 hours worth of World Wrestling Federation CHAMPIONSHIP SMACK DOWN EXTRAVAGANZA BLOWOUT tapes, set up the TV in the back patio next to a keg of Miller, and let 'em have field day.

Or maybe I could show 'em where their belly button was and they could gaze with intense curiosity at it and pick the fuzz out for a few hours.

Eventually what I did do was a Darwinian attempt to co-mingle the 2 varied evolutions of Human/almost Human. I did however find it necessary to cage and sedate (Miller) one of the malt guzzling neanderthals after he became enraged when someone lit a tiki torch. The rest of them just gazed at the flickering flame until falling into unconscienceness.

My suggestion for a not-to-sweet tropical drink would be the Chief Lapu Lapu:

1 shot of gold rum
1 shot of dark rum
1.5 oz of orange juice
1 oz of sweet & sour
1 Tbs TV's Passion Fruit syrup

Good luck and be careful! (show the beer drinkers how to properly use a toilet, including washing their hands)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-05 11:16 am   Permalink

Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook, 1968 Lists as a 'Suffering Bastard':

"In a double old-fashioned glass with ice:

Juice of 1 whole lime-save 1 shell
1 dash rock candy syrup
1 dash orgeat syrup
1 dash oragne curacao
1 ounce light rum
2 ounces dark rum

Fill glass with shaved ice. Top with metal shaker and hand shake drink (ed. "Damn glad to meet ya!"). Decorate with lime shell and fresh mint. Serve with a malt straw."

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-09-05 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-05 11:16, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook, 1968 Lists as a 'Suffering Bastard':

"In a double old-fashioned glass with ice:

Juice of 1 whole lime-save 1 shell
1 dash rock candy syrup
1 dash orgeat syrup
1 dash oragne curacao
1 ounce light rum
2 ounces dark rum

Fill glass with shaved ice. Top with metal shaker and hand shake drink (ed. "Damn glad to meet ya!"). Decorate with lime shell and fresh mint. Serve with a malt straw."

This recipe is almost identical to the Trader Vic's Mai Tai recipe. That may explain why Vic's uses Mai Tai mix in their Suffering Bastard (of course they also use it in their Navy Grog and maybe other drinks as well). There seem to be almost as many recipes for the Suffering Bastard as there are for the Mai Tai. How do we track down the real SB recipe?

As far as tiki drinks for beer drinkers, stick with simple ingredients that avoid fruit flavors and syrups, or with stuff that has fizzy or watery content. I have a friend that doesn't like sweet drinks, and hates most of my polynesian cocktails. But, he loves Mojitos! That's about the only rum drink he enjoys. Other than that, give him Bourbon and Ginger Ale with maybe a little bitters or a Gin and Tonic and that works for him. Or, just keep some extra beer on hand.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-09-06 2:45 pm   Permalink

Well, I really like good beer. There's no shame in it, dammit. I however have made drinks for lowbrow beer drinkers as the kind mentioned. Here's what worked for me: As prevously stated, nothing too sweet. And I used a recipe from the grog log that calls for about 4 kinds of rum, inc. 151. Not that much in total, but lots of bottles. That's when their derision of a "chick drink" turned to "Whoa, dude, check out all the rum in that drink!" And then the frat-slob machismo took over as the drink now appeared to be a challenge to their manhoods.
All was well in the end.

And this was while tailgating at a football game. Dude!

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-06 4:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the suggestions, these look great.

I myself truly enjoy beer, but I have two reasons why I'm anti-beer in the Humuhumu Room. The first is that I want to create an immersive experience, and beer doesn't fit, and the second is that my room is only about 6' x 7', and beer doesn't fit.

That said, my friends' enjoyment comes first, and I do have four Bud tall boys in the fridge beneath the bar, just for my friend Ann. I *really* could use that space for club soda and tonic instead. Eh, that's love for ya.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-07 07:18 am   Permalink

Once again: Put the beer in a Tiki mug. No one will ever know what the beer drinker is drinking and the exotic atmosphere will be kept intact. Cocktail mixing for a group is a hassle and a half already without attempting to pry open the lips of an avid beer drinker in order to get them to try something tropical...Even though you are trying to improve their lives through fine drinking. Tiki mugs are better suited for beer than any coctail. If you can't or won't go the mug route you can try this recipe on the beer drinker:

The Bruddah Bud

1 can Bud (any variety)
1 chilled martini glass

Being careful to not shake the contents open the can of Bud. Slowly pour into the chilled martini glass, avoid developing any foam. Garnish with a vanda orchid.

Something elses to consider with beer drinkers: Some people have had bad experiences with "hard" liquor. They got too drunk on ______ once and something happened that never happened when they'd been drinking beer. In their heads it was the ______ that was at fault and not just alcohol in general. So they avoid "the hard stuff" for fear of ending up on top of a table doing the cancan with a lampshade on their head.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation