FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Is you is or is you ain't a Tiki mug?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Is you is or is you ain't a Tiki mug?
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-27 8:29 pm   Permalink

I was curious about starting a thread about what is a Tiki mug and what isn't Tiki mug.

The reason I bring this up is that I was down at the Salvation Army store by my work (and for some odd reason, results in at least a Tiki or two a month) today and came across four Benihana of Tokyo mugs.

They were the typical white ones that you see about all of the time (I am pretty sure you know what I am talking about).

Well, I decided to pick them up for 2 bones each because a couple of them had gold leaf and all of them had crazing, so I figured why not.

Well, what are your thoughts? Are these Benihana of Tokyo mugs Tiki? Or would you classify them in an entirely different category.

Another point to this thread is to maybe clear up for us newer folk what is truly defined as Tiki or is there even such a thing?

For instance, I know that those totem pole mugs from the North East aren't Tiki, but you can always find them labled as such in antique stores and eBay.

Well, I really look forward to your insight.

Aloha!

-CMC

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-02-28 10:48 am   Permalink

I'd classify Benihana mugs as inspired by tiki mugs. The Benihana chain opened in 1964- not sure when the mugs came along, but serving tropical drinks in an "ethnic" mug that you can take home must have definitely been inspired by tiki restaurants and/or the chinese places that started doing it as well.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-28 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-27 20:29, Cool Manchu wrote:

....I know that those totem pole mugs from the North East aren't Tiki, but you can always find them labled as such in antique stores and eBay.

Aaaah, my pet peeve! My often repeated motto is:
IF IT SAYS TIKI ON IT, IT SHOULD HAVE TIKI IN IT!

Now where would we end up if we would go by e-bay naming standards!

The insidious naming of items that have no shred of Tiki about them is doubley reproachable because it is an example of not only ignorance, but ignorance mixed with the desire to gain a commercial advantage from invoking the name of the god.

As I said before, Benihana was never a Polynesian restaurant, and while I adore Japanese, it is in no way Tiki. Other theme mugs, like the Harevey's Fog Cutter and the Fu Manchu, are simply named by their cocktail or their look, but they are NOT Tiki mugs, just because they were used in Tiki bars.

Otherwise we would have Tiki forks and Tiki spoons.

If it depicts a Polynesian idol (or any Oceanic godhead) it's a Tiki mug, nothing else is.

The Book of Tiki defines Tiki style as the period from the mid 1950s to the late 60s when the Tiki figure became THE logo of Polynesian Pop. Everything else before or after is Polynesian Pop or Hawaiiana at best, or generic tropical pieces of hacked wood at worst.
The decline of Tiki style happened in large part because of the indifferent watering down of the iconography of the style with non-specific imagery and terminology.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-02-28 11:33 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-28 11:40 am   Permalink

Well, if a Fu Manchu mugs was used in a Tiki Bar to serve a Tiki cocktail, is it not a tiki mug? If it's depicted in the tiki menu along with the "tiki shaped" mug, it's "tiki."

Then there is the other side. The tiki mug in the antique store labeled "clown mug." Ignorance cuts both ways.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-28 4:03 pm   Permalink

Back when I started collecting mugs I used to be quite hard line about what was and wasn't tiki. Initially I was only interested in mugs that depicted somewhat "authentic" (troublesome word) tikis -- so no Mr. Bali Hai man, not even a Tiki Bob or Sneaky Tiki as they were too stylized for my taste.
But I've softened quite a bit over the years -- now I collect anything that may have been used to serve a tropical drink in a polynesian themed restaurant, be it in the shape of a coconut, pineapple, severed head, hula girl, chunk of bamboo or whatever, and use the term "tiki mug" as a convenient, if less than precise catch-all.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-28 8:46 pm   Permalink

------------------------------------------

We need these!

To eat our Tiki Food!!!

Pretty soon there will be Tiki Diapers!!!

Then Tiki Oil Filters for cars!

Then Tiki Computers!!!

Then Tiki Space Ships!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-29 12:51 am   Permalink

The Right Honorable RevBambooBen suggested:
Quote:
Then Tiki Space Ships!!!

Wow! wouldn't that be a cool Estes rocket!

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-29 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-28 16:03, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
...anything that may have been used to serve a tropical drink in a polynesian themed restaurant, be it in the shape of a coconut, pineapple, severed head, hula girl, chunk of bamboo or whatever, and use the term "tiki mug" as a convenient, if less than precise catch-all.

Weeeell..you've said it right there:
COCONUT mug, PINEAPPLE mug, HULA GIRL mug...
that's what they are, not Tiki mugs. I would allow "Tiki Bar mug", or "Tiki-period mug"...

...but who am I kidding, that won't happen. I guess I should be content with having coined the term Polynesian Pop and having defined Tiki as a style that put it on the map.

But Swanky, I still have to ad this:

"Well, if a Fu Manchu mugs was used in a Tiki Bar to serve a Tiki cocktail, is it not a tiki mug? If it's depicted in the tiki menu along with the "tiki shaped" mug, it's "tiki."

So does that make all the regular glassware that many of the cocktails were served in and that appear in menus next to Tiki mugs "Tiki glasses"?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 06:18 am   Permalink

If any of you feel that your Fu Manchus and Pineapple mugs aren't really tiki mugs, feel free to send them to me. I'd be happy to take these 'non tiki mugs' off your hands. I'm sure they are just taking up space on your shelves....

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 07:05 am   Permalink

I think tiki mug. Therefore, I am?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 07:37 am   Permalink

Where does the "Sven Tiki Mug" fit in?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 10:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-28 20:46, RevBambooBen wrote:

We need these!

To eat our Tiki Food!!!

Pretty soon there will be Tiki Diapers!!!

Then Tiki Oil Filters for cars!

Then Tiki Computers!!!

Then Tiki Space Ships!!!

Google Image Search for "Tiki Rocket:"

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 10:58 am   Permalink

Guide Kathy Hamlin does a great job on Tiki history and culture, the modern subculture, and some great drinks and links! Tiki Food, too! Yum!

http://www.tikiwonder.com/

That's 2 out of 5.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 12:02 pm   Permalink

Bah Humbug....

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-03-01 12:25 pm   Permalink

Perhaps the use of upper and lowercase "T" could be used differentiate between "Tiki mug" being those form the Tiki era and "tiki mug" being a poly-pop mug. Whats probably needed is a word to describe those mugs which are atributed to tiki culture but ain't Tiki mugs.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation