[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Planting a seven foot tiki pole
Remove Highlighting
Planting a seven foot tiki pole
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 10:30 am   Permalink

Admitedly I'm looking ahead, but I,m having a 7' log delivered today that I plan to carve and erect in my yard. Is there a technique that would save me from planting most of the log into the ground? I would hate to loose the bottom 2-3', but want to know what to expect before I go at it with the chisel. I did a search, but came up empty.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 12:08 pm   Permalink

I myself don't have a definate answer, someone else might... but...

Maybe drive rebar into the bottom of the tiki base then sink the rebar into concrete in a hole...?

Speaking of burying tikis... has anyone else done it? I think my friend who I carved the 6 foot tiki mailbox for might actually get it in the ground. If you sink a tiki in concrete what else might you have to do to prevent it from rotting in the ground?

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 2:41 pm   Permalink

I have buried a few using several techniques.
1. Coat the bottom with roofing tar and stick it in the ground.(MESSY)
2. Pour a small cement pad a little larger than the base and bury in it a piece of Flat steel bar, Rebar, Pipe, etc and after the cement cures juse erect the pole and bolt it to the steel.
3. Pour a cement pad (same size) with a 2 inch or so pipe buried in the center sticking out 1 foot.
Drill a hole same diameter as Pipe in bottom of tiki pole and once cement cures, Set the Tiki down on the pipe. ( I've used this the most but it takes precision drillind with Large bit, but is cleanest and strongest.)
Hope this helps a little.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 4:19 pm   Permalink

haven't had to do that yet...hope I don't ever have to actually. I'm not looking towards having plates in my neck and back like braddah BENZART!! DA MAN!!

I'll carve it and da rest is on you.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-02 5:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Drill a hole same diameter as Pipe in bottom of tiki pole and once cement cures, Set the Tiki down on the pipe. ( I've used this the most but it takes precision drillind with Large bit, but is cleanest and strongest.)

How large a drill bit can you fit onto a hand drill? I image you would have to go 2 feet in.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-03 7:55 pm   Permalink

You gan get a pretty big Forstner bit and a Long extension. I think they come in 2 ft lengths and connect 5 of them and drill a deep Oily hole.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation