FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki White Castles and other late night craves.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
White Castles and other late night craves.
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-05 08:16 am   Permalink

Living in north San Diego County I can vouch for the Mexican food. Roberto's carne asada and chicken tacos, Fiesta Mexicana's albondigas and guacamole and the fresh home made tamales door to door salesmen sell. All served with pickled carrots and jalepenos. Autland, this Carniceria buy my house sells the best Carnitas. And for breakfast don't forget Machaca. MMMMMMMMMM Mexican Food.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-05 6:30 pm   Permalink

Al, you sound like a true mexican food afficianado. A man after my own heart. I'm always elated when I find a new place. My old late nite haunts were/are: Robertos / Albertos (carne asada burritos), Julio's (on University near Fairmont) for the Guadalajara Taco & Negra Modello beer and Lydia's in Imperial Beach for the Botana. Nowadays I've been hittin' the Chipolte in LaMesa for burritos 'cause they're close to home & I go to bed earlier now. ZZZZZZZZZ

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-09 12:25 am   Permalink

The afore-mentioned Steak n Shake in Springfield MO last Saturday night/Sunday morning.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-09 09:52 am   Permalink

i took my east coast girl to the steak and shake on brentwood blvd near clayton mo. several months ago. she had never been to one and thought it rocked.

incidentally the brentwood location is within a mile or two of where the legendary mainlander was,
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=7987&forum=1&start=0

thanks for the swell images tikijackalope, makes me miss good ol missourah... j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-09 6:31 pm   Permalink

the origanal pantry, never without a coustomer since 1924. sit down and prosto... some surley ex-felon slides a bowl o slaw in front of you with a pile o sour bread. no one seems to care what you're gonna have later, yur starting out wit slaw. Food's pretty much the same as '24. cash only. figiroa (sp?) and 9th near staples center.

View Profile of Bwana Tiki Send a personal message to Bwana Tiki  Email Bwana Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-09 7:39 pm   Permalink

Bwana, your post reminded me of a seedy place I just love, Wyandotte BBQ 2. The guys in back look like they could cut your throat or fix you a sandwich, makes no nevermind to them. Nice & greasy.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-10 10:38 am   Permalink

I grew up in California and this thread is making me truly homesick. Suburban New York sucks for fast food!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 12:39 am   Permalink

I have not consumed corporate fast food - McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc etc etc - for over 12 years, but after a few too many drinks, the urge to eat grease is overwhelming.

Fortunately(?), Chicago is a mecca for independantly owned all-night junk food joints.

There are more awesome all night pizza joints, 24-7 greasy spoon diners, 'we never close' burrito stands, and legendary 4AM hot dog havens here than anywhere else I have been.

For the uninitiated: a Chicago hot dog is a completely different animal than any you've ever been served anywhere else in the country, a unique entity and a must-try even for those that normally fear and loathe tubes of processed meat by product.

Wiener's Circle, Hot Doug's, and Super Dawg are the big three.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 03:18 am   Permalink

When looking for late night chow, I go no further than LA's own Thaitown. 3am and you still have a pick of the litter (in a good way). These places are pretty cheap too.

Thai Palms
Saumanlung Cafe
Krang Tedd
etc

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 09:32 am   Permalink

Its great to read that some of you can find *nice* little independent places. When I travel, I always want to find some completely independent place with the ambiance of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks, but usually only find a Burrito Express or a run-down Sambos thrice-removed where people go to chain-smoke and buy lottery tickets based on their kid's parole date. *sigh* Late night gems are wonderful; keep 'em coming!

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-03-11 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-11 03:18, paranoid123 wrote:
These places are pretty cheap too.

Thai Palms
Saumanlung Cafe
Krang Tedd
etc

Not to mention Thai Palms has Thai Elvis!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 09:43 am   Permalink

detail of 2 above related to above:

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-11 09:43, Johnny Dollar wrote:
detail of 2 above related to above:

Grrr.... there are few things in life I loathe more than this guy's 'art'....

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 11:34 am   Permalink

(twas tongue in cheek)

for added enjoyment, there are the versions with "neon..."

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-11 11:54 am   Permalink

tikijackalope-
I do a fair bit of traveling and always seek out older independent places, from burger joints to steak houses, so always ask on Tiki Central before taking a trip. I may be able to save you some time.

Chicago -
I didn't get to try all the hot dog stands in Chicago last summer, but I loved Super Dawg for their food served at your car in a little box, and the decor with the hot dog mascots on the roof can't be beat. The "who has a better hot dog in Chicago" debate has probably led to many a fight, but any Chicago dog is head and shoulders above what we have here in the Bay Area! The only place that came close was Kasper's (not Casper's) in Oakland, but sadly they closed "for remodeling" last year and haven't reopened since.

I also didn't have time to sample an Italian beef in Chicago - doh! Oh well, next time I'll have one and wash it down with a fresh lemonade, followed by an Italian ice. Chicago is arguably the best city for tasty, quick food. New York has been overrun by chains but there are still a few jems like the place where you can get 2 hotdogs and a papaya drink for under $5 - Joe's Papaya?, and their pizza by the slice is the best. I would vote L.A. for second best after Chicago.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation