FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki White Castles and other late night craves.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
White Castles and other late night craves.
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 12:55 pm   Permalink

thejab kindly offered
Quote:
tikijackalope-
I do a fair bit of traveling and always seek out older independent places, from burger joints to steak houses, so always ask on Tiki Central before taking a trip. I may be able to save you some time.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that. I always consult Roadfood.com and a few other sources before leaving on a trip but the "open 24 hrs" places are a neglected strata in most cases.
It looks like I'll be doing another Rt 66 trip from Joplin MO to Flagstaff AZ late next month with a long diversion to Tucson (do you think Kon-Tiki management would notice if I snuck in paint remover?). Does anyone know of any cool all-night spots in Tucson?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-11 1:10 pm   Permalink

I'll have to keep quiet abouut Tuscon because I haven't spent much time there. I did stay in Bisbee, AZ at the Shady Dell Trailer Court for a few days, but we only stopped in Tuscon for lunch (great Mexican food places abound) and continued on to Phoenix to spend the night, so we could save time the next day for Jerome and then the Grand Canyon.

Perhaps weirduncletiki could recommend some Tuscon spots?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 2:38 pm   Permalink

thejab mentioned
Quote:
...continued on to Phoenix to spend the night, so we could save time the next day for Jerome and then the Grand Canyon.

I love both of those. I also love the vintage Alco streamlined locomotives that pull the train from Williams to the canyon. On topic, there is a converted ex-Dennys at the East end of Williams which I believe stays open all night but aside from looking at the boomerang profile roofline, I wouldn't recommend it. Its got that just-bought-yesterday RT66 decor and powdery scrambled eggs.
Next time, for a mix of nature's beauty and man's roadside efforts, check out the Painted Desert.

Then stay at the Wigwam motel in Holbrook...

...go South through Salt Creek Canyon...

...and on to "The Thing" East of Tucson

Btw, among the odd assortment of dubious artifacts at "The Thing" is this mask...not tiki, exactly, but as close as many masks I've seen in "tiki" restaurants.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-12 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-11 14:38, tikijackalope wrote:
thejab mentioned
Quote:
...continued on to Phoenix to spend the night, so we could save time the next day for Jerome and then the Grand Canyon.

I love both of those. I also love the vintage Alco streamlined locomotives that pull the train from Williams to the canyon.

I'm a big streamliner and old deisel locomotive nut and the Alco PA is my favorite engine from that era! It can also be seen pulling the Napa Wine Train.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-11 14:38, tikijackalope wrote:
Then stay at the Wigwam motel in Holbrook...

There used to be a whole chain of Wigwams, but the only ones left are Holbrook, Arizona and Cave City, Kentucky. I've stayed in the Cave City one several times: only 40 bucks, the wigwams are immaculately maintained, and the guy who owns it is as nice as can be.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:21 pm   Permalink

There's still a Wigwam Motel in San Berdoo (San Bernadino) on old Highway 66, but it's pretty run down and sleazy. Some time ago they had a sign saying "do it in a teepee"! They probably have hourly rates.

Mrsmiley and I toured the place once on the way to Palm Springs (no, we didn't stay there). The owner showed us a room and they had painted a hideous psychedelic mural on the round ceiling. The furniture was really ugly, quite unlike the one in Holbrook where they've maintained the old rustic furniture.

tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 04:40 am   Permalink

thejab stated:
Quote:
I'm a big streamliner and old deisel locomotive nut and the Alco PA is my favorite engine from that era!

Cool! I grew up photographing the twilight of the F-units on the MKT, KCS, GM&O, Rock Island and Santa Fe. Come to think of it, they were about concurrent with the rise and fall of tiki. Here's a Williams, AZ Alco for you:

And if you voyage to Omni Hut, be sure to take a side trip to the Tennessee Central Railway Museum in Nashville, a place that refreshingly trusts that you won't fall off something and sue them. Here's an E-8 I shot from the platform of a switcher.

Just for you, here are a couple shots of an Alco near the museum property. I'm afraid it has seen better days.

tikibars noted:
Quote:
I've stayed in the Cave City one several times: only 40 bucks, the wigwams are immaculately maintained, and the guy who owns it is as nice as can be.

Yes he is; we stayed there last year on a googie, tiki, trains and beads (the g/f's passion) vacation. As a matter of fact, the plastic jackalope bank that became the prop for E-postcards to our friends is from the Wigwam's giftshop.

As you can see, the Cave City location is more pastoral than Holbrook. I shot this while enjoying the night noises.

Btw, I recently ran across what I believe are the remains of yet another Wigwam Motel in Lawrence KS.

And back on topic to late night food, here is the afore-mentioned place in Williams, AZ.

Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 4:29 pm   Permalink

The trains are great. What a beautiful place that Wigwam is. The Holbrook owners would have a hard time making their locale look so inviting.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation