FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Son of Headhunter
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Son of Headhunter
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 08:04 am   Permalink

Okay so you guys inspired me to buy a hammer and chisel, haul a log out of the woods, give it a go. Who would have thought it would be so meditative. I can't wait to start a new one.

Its funny how the log kind of helps dictate the shape. Anyway, that's my excuse for this twisted little guy. I hollowed his mouth out so my wife can use it as a bird feeder (I hope that's not sacriligious), and hollowed a space on top to put a flower pot. I'm thinking a spider plant to give it a kind of Sideshow Bob doo. It still needs a few coats of poleurathane, but I couldn't wait to post.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-06-28 20:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki 2005-12-23 12:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki 2006-09-22 19:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki 2006-12-04 15:22 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 08:40 am   Permalink

Cool tiki, nicefishy!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 09:35 am   Permalink

Woah NiceFishy.
An Excellent first carving. I wish my first one was that good. The best is yet to come.
Nothing sacriligious about quirky usefulnesses you put into your carvings, besides I would love a picture of a birds butt sticking out of his mouth.. Cool

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-08 11:50 am   Permalink

Hot diggidy-dog!

That's a REAL nice first carving! It's not fair that you artists can work with all mediums and make it look like cake!

I agree with Benz, show us a bird sticking out of it's mouth, that would be great!
Nice job and if the prints arn't being creative enough for you, pick up that chisel again and carve, carve, carve!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 2:17 pm   Permalink

Alright Fishy,
Thats nice. welcome to the world of chips and chisels,splinters and slices.
Are the teeth gold or just not stained? The birdfeeder and flower pots are good ideas.
You better watch the dog, he looks like he is givin' that tiki the eye.

Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-03-08 14:19 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 5:43 pm   Permalink

Nice Tiki, Nice Fishy. Nice Photos, Nice Job.
NICE NICE NICE. Who's drinkin' the Fosters Lager...you or the dog?? I want to try carving too. I just got myself a few logs yesterday by helping a friend cut up some storm damaged trees at his ex-wifes house. I guess it's his ex-house too. Anyway, I don't have the tools yet but I figured I better get the free wood when I could! I sure hope my first carving is respectable but I guess if I *%#@!&% it up I can always pretend it was really a creative firewood chopping class I was in. I won't waste a photo if it turns out stupid.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 8:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will definately post pics of a bird in its mouth once I get them. I plan to keep carving and trying out ideas I have. Who knows, I may turn out to be Long Island's only tiki carver.

Quote:
You better watch the dog, he looks like he is givin' that tiki the eye.

She's eyeing the Fosters more like. I used Golden Pecan stain for the teeth and Mahogany for the rest. The teeth did get a second coat tonight to darken them up a bit. I'm also considering staining the bark I left at the bottom.

8FT, Go for it. The best piece of advice I got from this site was to not be afraid to cut deep. I don't remember who posted it, but it made sense to me.

[ This Message was edited by: nice fishy on 2004-03-08 20:49 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-08 10:32 pm   Permalink

You know I've been thinking about the whole bird feeder idea and I have to say that it may not be the most alluring place for the birds to look and if you put seed in there you are more likely to get squirrels eating it than birds. That is if you have them there? Anyway, I think that a squirrel tail hanging out of the tikis mouth would make a damn funny photo! By the way, the plant in the top is a great idea. There are some great ornamental grasses that would make it look like a crazy hair-do.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BARNETT
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-09 01:29 am   Permalink

Very nice! Anybody have suggestions on where to get budget friendly carving tools? You know...in case I tried it and completely stunk at it, I wouldn't be out a ton of cash. I would just like to carve some for our house, nothing serious. Thanks for any and all help.

Dan

View Profile of BARNETT Send a personal message to BARNETT  Email BARNETT Goto the website of BARNETT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-09 06:36 am   Permalink

Dan,
Scour the area for used tools, or buy a Few Good ones. This ? is asked by every carver and the end results are Always the same.
Buy Cheap and Get Crap. Carv Crap with Crap tools.
Buy Good tools and carve Good carvings.
The cheap tools will not hold an edge and will be Very difficult to sharpen and will not last very long. Your choice.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BARNETT
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-09 09:11 am   Permalink

I figured that would be the answer...the same sorta thing I would say about lettering and striping brushes. Any recomendations on where to get good carving tools? Carving is a whole new world to me....I'm not sure how I'll do with it, but I figure I should at leat try it once! I definitely have a lot of respect for you guys and gals that carve.
thanks.

Dan

P.S. sorry to hi-jack your thread, NiceFishy...you really did do a nice job with your first effort!

[ This Message was edited by: BARNETT on 2004-03-09 09:13 ]

View Profile of BARNETT Send a personal message to BARNETT  Email BARNETT Goto the website of BARNETT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-09 10:13 am   Permalink

No problem Barnett, I'll just hijack it back.

I went with 2 chisels (1 1/4" & 5/8" blades) and a dead blow hammer from Home Depot. Total cost about $45. There were time when I would have liked to have an even smaller blade though.

BARNETT
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-09 3:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-09 5:03 pm   Permalink

OK guys, Here is probably the Cheapest way to get some carving Goughes. Most stores have the "FlexCut" brand which cut VERY Well. They are Thin and VERY Sharp. You can get the Mallet size tools for a Lot of money, or the Palmsized tools for Less. For Even LESS you can get the "Unhandled" bits used in the recriprocating tools for about $12-$13 each. Go this rout if you are handy and resourseful enough to find or Make handles for them. They Sella Handle that has a quick change collett on it whish is 1 good way to go.
This place, "Treeline" offers a 10% discount with 5 flexcut tools which is like getting 1 for free
http://www.treelineusa.com/carving.html
Check it out and at least it gives you an Idea....Good luck

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 7:14 pm   Permalink

#2 started out as a tiki, but morphed into something quite different. What it is, I really can't say, but it has a cool vibe. It is smaller than the first, but a much harder wood, and still needs some varnish.

My 7' log was finally delivered today so I have some debarking to do.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation