[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Sushi!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Sushi!
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 03:43 am   Permalink

Hi Guys,

I personally stay far far away from citysearch. Just look at their rankings for top Chinese restaurants in LA. About 7 out of 10 places are seriously gringo Chinese restraunts and the rest of them are just plain mainstream. C'mon what about all the Chinese restaurants in the *real* Chinatown, the San Gabriel Valley? I think most of the reviewers never go east of the 110 fwy.

Anyway, Humuhumu, if you're not busy, drive along Ventura Blvd in Studio city, there's probably 3 sushi restaurant on each block. This does include the previously mentioned Sushi Nozawa. I believe Nozawa san is the one with the reputation of the "sushi nazi" and have thrown people out for ordering untradtional stuff like California Rolls. I've been here a couple of times, just sit at the bar, and accept his omakazi (chef's choice), which is will probably include tuna sashimi with ponzu and some spring onions.

I haven't settled on my own personal favorite, but previously it was a place called Tsukasa on the third floor of the Mitzwa Plaza in J-Town. The master there, Kawasaki san was a very excellent and graceful host. Often I would ask him to simply prepare me something unique. Tsukasa has changed names last year, and I haven't stepped in to see if Kawasaki san is still the owner.

I've been told that Z Sushi in Alhambra on the corners of Atlantic, Garfield, and Huntington is a real gem, if you're ever in that neck of the woods. I haven't sampled it myself.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 4:59 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu,
Whenever you are in Beverly Hills, check this place out.
Expensive, but worth a visit.

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/11288761/?cslink=cs_boc_lw_2_4

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 1:55 pm   Permalink

for the geneology of chopsticks:

http://www.cultdeadcow.com/cDc_files/cDc-0383/cDc-0383.html

j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 3:38 pm   Permalink

Hey I ate at Matsuhisa! I was on a shoot in LA. Emeril was sitting at the next table, and Chevy Chase was eating there too.

I must have gone on an off night!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation