[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Altoids, Ginger, and other Ginger / Candy items
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Altoids, Ginger, and other Ginger / Candy items
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-11 06:40 am   Permalink

always up for trying a new flavor/flavour of altoids, i tried the ginger-flavored/flavoured altoids last nite.

i highly recommend them for fans of ginger (the root that is)

j$

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-03-18 07:18 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-03-11 09:36 am   Permalink

The ginger altoids are good (and hot). You're right though, you have to be a ginger fan. I also like to eat the candied ginger, and real ginger ale.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:25 pm   Permalink

Even though they make altoids in England, you can only buy the usual extra-strong mint ones over here, which drives me nuts! I'm addicted to the cinnamon ones and even the wintergreen ones go down well. The fact that such exotic altoid treats as ginger exist in the US fills me with envy.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-12 12:25, Trader Woody wrote:
Even though they make altoids in England, you can only buy the usual extra-strong mint ones over here, which drives me nuts! I'm addicted to the cinnamon ones and even the wintergreen ones go down well. The fact that such exotic altoid treats as ginger exist in the US fills me with envy.

Trader Woody

true, true, but you have the advantage of walking a block or two for some of the best beer in the world...

cheers, j$

p.s. why don't you lobby altoids uk? i'm sure you could be _persuasive_...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-03-12 12:28, Johnny Dollar wrotep.s. why don't you lobby altoids uk? i'm sure you could be _persuasive_...

I actually tried to do that a couple of years back, but I couldn't find the swine! Not even through the magic of Google could I find their address. The best I could do was some website selling American candy to Brits. Perhaps it's time for another attempt....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:46 pm   Permalink

have you seen the cool altoids tins with the devil pinup girl woody? they actually released only a small amount before erasing her horns and re-releasing.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-12 12:28, Johnny Dollar wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-03-12 12:25, Trader Woody wrote:

Trader Woody

true, true, but you have the advantage of walking a block or two for some of the best beer in the world...

cheers, j$

p.s. why don't you lobby altoids uk? i'm sure you could be _persuasive_...

Woody, you moved to Belgium?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 1:00 pm   Permalink

Rev Dr FF,

I think JD was talking draft beer *cough* and if so he'd be right. Bottled beers.....Belgium is indeed the place *starts salivating at the thought of an old Belgian bar*. Those monks sure knew what to do with all that extra time on their hands....

Trader Woody

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-11 06:40, Johnny Dollar wrote:
always up for trying a new flavor/flavour of altoids, i tried the ginger-flavored/flavoured altoids last nite.

i highly recommend them for fans of ginger (the root that is)

j$

I'll have to try those. I like ginger (the root that is), especially the old ginger ale that used to make you cough so bad that it would go up into your sinuses.
Have you ever had Sen-Sens? Tiny black squares with a huge anise-licorice-perfumey taste, and they are in a little foil envelope. I can't get them where I live, but I think you can get them online. They've been around since the 20's or 30's I believe.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 8:01 pm   Permalink

This kind of post brings out the Edith Bunker in me, "I remember when I was just a little girl...", (as Archie pantomimes sharpening a straight razor & cutting his own throat).

I remember way back when...a dusty & disreputible hole-in-the-wall store selling sudry items in downtown KC. As I passed by the store's grimy front window one day I noticed Sen-Sen on display. I had always heard that the Mafiosos like to eat Sen-Sen. So naturally, I just had to see what it was all about.

It comes in little gold, red & blue foil wrappers. Little bitty square black chips of super concentrated licorice. I tasted just one tiny chip. It is vile, like taking a great big, giant bite of soap.

Speaking of big bites, my dad took a huge bite of raw ginger root & chewed & swallowed it when he was drunk one time. It damn near killed him.

Also, there is a fancy candy bar called Chocolate XOXOXO. They have a version that is dark chocolate with big chunks of candied ginger. It doesn't sound like a good combination but it really is delicous.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 9:30 pm   Permalink

That sounds SOOO good!

Here's a link for more info:
http://www.chocolove.com/bar_65_ginger.html

*drool*

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 11:03 pm   Permalink

And their site is done by www.wddg.com! The Altoids Hot site was the best, but it's gone now. Just a few pictures of the "Hot" gilr to remind us on www.Altoids.com

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 10:15 am   Permalink

Senor Bong mentioned ginger beverages.

Anybody know of any that are superior to the Reed's family of ginger brews?

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Frenchy Polynesia
Deleted

Posted: 2004-03-16 1:40 pm   Permalink

A personal favorite of mine is an obscure bar-mixer ginger beer, I think it's called "Cock N' Bull" (SUCH a promising name). I really love the flavor - I think a lot of regular ginger beers have a cloying sugary finish to them (which is why I don't care for them) - this brand was just soda with concentrated ginger and a little sugar - mix that with lime, and MMMMMM... a very crisp taste. I haven't seen this brand around in liquor stores for a while - if anybody does - PLEASE let me know, I'd love to get a stash and some limes for summertime.

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-03-16 4:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-16 10:15, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Senor Bong mentioned ginger beverages.

Anybody know of any that are superior to the Reed's family of ginger brews?

Reed's ginger brew is the real deal alright. It's sold around here at Trader Joes.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation