[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving 1st tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
1st tiki
schase1399
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-12 5:52 pm   Permalink

Well after waiting for the palm trunks too dry, here it is my first ever tiki. Hope ya'll like it. The tourching was by far the most fun. No one in my apartment complex called the fire department. I don't know weather that is a good thing or not. Let me know what you think.

Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: schase1399 on 2004-03-12 17:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: schase1399 on 2004-03-12 17:57 ]

View Profile of schase1399 Send a personal message to schase1399  Email schase1399     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-12 9:06 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Keep it up. I too like playing with the torch

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 06:09 am   Permalink

Nothing like starting small. Nice job.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 09:16 am   Permalink

Very well done for the first try.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
schase1399
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-14 07:13 am   Permalink

yeah small just wouldn't do it for me. This one measures around 6'8". I was wondering is there anyway to effectivly seal palm wood. I'd like to put this inside I'm decorating a spare bedroom in my new house with a tiki theme. Any suggestions? I was also thinking of just bringing in a 12x12 cements stepping stone and a large bowl and sitting it in that, what do you think???

View Profile of schase1399 Send a personal message to schase1399  Email schase1399     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
schase1399
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-14 07:15 am   Permalink

Oh yeah that's my dog Kona, named after the city on the big island of hawaii. I am going to try to make a small dog tiki next.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 3:30 pm   Permalink

You can sand, seal and varnish Palm wood just as any other. The piece will drain a lot of water so the Bowl or Stone are a good idea. Don't just stand it on the carpet or wood floor.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
motiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-14 6:39 pm   Permalink

Great job. That's some big tiki.

View Profile of motiki Send a personal message to motiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 4:31 pm   Permalink

Nice job!
why mess around with the small stuff when you can go BIG!
I dig the stylized hands and legs - that looks really cool.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
schase1399
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-16 12:39 pm   Permalink

I appreciate the love, and I'm always looking for encouragement. Thanks alot. I'll try the stain and see what happens but I've been told that it will just soak it up like a sponge.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-14 15:30, Benzart wrote:
You can sand, seal and varnish Palm wood just as any other. The piece will drain a lot of water so the Bowl or Stone are a good idea. Don't just stand it on the carpet or wood floor.

Ben

I've seen a lot of carving tips here (I read the monster thread all the way through) but not a great deal about finishing (except for torching the wood). Maybe because you guys take basic wood working skills for granted. I've been playing with carving but have been frustrated with the finishing. Hell, I don't know the difference between stain and varnish or lacquer and shellac. My results with stain have been disappointing, got kind of splotchy results. Do you ever use buffing compound to get a smooth finish? Any basic tips for woodworking know-nothings?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 12:52 am   Permalink

Kono,
My Kahuna of stain says to use a sanding sealer on your wood before you stain. The sealer consists of 9 parts alcohol and 1 part clear shellac. Apply with a brush or rag and let dry. When you apply either water-based or oil-based stain the finish should come out even over the surface of the wood. On Tikis, any areas with exposed end grain surfaces will stain darker. Adding a second application of sealer to these areas might help prevent this effect.
P.S. Don't drink the sanding sealer!
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 06:52 am   Permalink

Tikiboy was Right on, on All accounts Except DO Drink the sealer,,or is it Seal the drinker,,or the drinker is sealed .....I guess I drank the sealer (well it Said mostly alcohol!)
Truly the sealer stops the stain from soaking down into the wood and since you are staining Sealer instead of wood, it comes out nice and eved.(in a perfect world.)For the final finish, if you are going to apply one, use marine varnish for outdoors and Straight Shellack, varnish, Lacquer, or any other clear finish. There are several and Deft makes a good one.. Don't forget to sand with min 220 grit between coats letting it dry according to Instructions. (Instructions you ask?? That fine print that is Unreadable on the back of the can, you know the place)
No teacher like experience but I Hope this helps.

tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 10:38 pm   Permalink

Don't forget the oils for finishing like Danish oil or Tongue oil(spelling?)I always enjoy rubbing my projects with that even though it dries more like a lacquer. Wax is another natural finish. Wax your board and pray for waves.
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 7:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the info. Sorry to be a dumb ass but what's the difference between shellac, varnish and lacquer as it relates to tiki carvings? Would it be the "glossiness" of the finish? With shellac being the thickest and glossiest and varnish the least? Do any TC carvers use shellac? What if I want a very old looking carving and don't want to torch it? Just stain?

Anyone ever use a buffing compound on wood carvings? Or does lacquer or varnish give that nice smooth finish?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just a woodcarving ignorant mofo. I've done some googling but haven't found anything worthwhile. If you've got a good link on these basics I'd be gland to check it out.

Thanks

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation