FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Mugs!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Tiki Mugs!
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-07 3:52 pm   Permalink

Okay Tikiphiles, how about a single forum to discuss all things Tiki mug? Regale all with tales of the great search for Tiki drink vessels...entertain us about a stupendous find or bargain was had, saving a lost mug from oblivion, liberating another memento to the safe environs of your collection.

Ask questions, provide answers, critique the newer mugs or just comment on favorite mugs and Tiki collectibles.

Incraese your mana and help spread the Tiki mojo.

[Edited by Hanford Lemoore to add to the title]
[ This Message was edited by: midnite_tiki on 2002-12-05 11:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-16 23:28 ]

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-07 4:00 pm   Permalink

Ok, what a great idea for a topic! Hee hee!!

I will get the ball rolling with an initial vote for best mug ever: Tiki Bob.

And here's a glimpse of what some items can attract. This has to be the highest ever bid, save a "Elvis Blue Hawaii" Tiki Bob?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1088492916&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1017977772&indexURL=0&rd=1

I am hoping Mike allows me to make a pilgrimage down South and pay homage to the "Mystery Bowl"!

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2002-04-07 4:42 pm   Permalink

How about it guys? Do we want a forum for this? Will it make Tiki Central easier to read? Or harder?

If we get enough people who say "yeah!" we can add a Mug forum no problem!

Please note that a FORUM is higher than a TOPIC (it is actually a collection of topics), and would seperate all tiki mug topics out from the "Tiki Central Message Board" forum.

Post your opinion here!

~Hanford

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-07 16:45 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-07 5:51 pm   Permalink

Whoops, I had no idea my use of "forum" had logistical ramifications. I was hoping to have one general topic for "mugs or collectibles". So, I vote for one central repository for mug/collectible talk...whether that is a forum or topic, I am not sure.

I say leave as topic. My interest is to see a more centralized discussion thread for this aspect of Tikidom.

Whatever leads to minimizing fragmentation and clutter.

TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 12:04 am   Permalink

Well, tikimug.com is sorta set up to be that.
Seems to be a shame not to do it over there. But I definately think someone has to do a guide to repro mugs, in light of the bad tendancy of people on ebay to sell repros with a minimum of info, resulting in high prices on cheap mugs.
TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 12:18 am   Permalink

A separate forum is a good idea, IMO.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 01:12 am   Permalink

A general "Hunting and Gathering" forum would be good. I like reading about Centralites Tiki finds, whether mugs or masks or miscellaneous. A section for show-and-tell might encourage posts which may seem frivolous floating alone in the general forum.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 10:40 am   Permalink

I gotta tell ya I love my mugs but, I am definitely in favor of a more general "Hunting and Gathering" expanding it beyond just the mug thang.

On a side note, does anyone know what that volcano looking thing is, that's sitting in front the kid in the eBay picture? And boy does she look happy drinking out that tiki bowl or what?

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 11:19 am   Permalink

The kid with Gypsy Rose Lee? I hope that's her kid! I think it is just a table lamp or two. A nice version of a Kahiki table lamp sold on ebay a few weeks ago for $200+.

midnite

Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 12:23 pm   Permalink

I dig on the "hunter, gatherer" topic. I think it would be a great idea.

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 12:54 pm   Permalink

I'm responding in the affirmative for a "hunting gathering" forum! It'd be especially nice to have a place to post (my) stupid mug questions and get some knowledgeable answers from you folks...There's nothing worse than paying too much for a cheap mug.

Maybe a trading sub-thread? That'd be cool!

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-08 3:19 pm   Permalink

How's this for a "hunting &ngathering" anecdote?

BTW, I like that idea...not soley mugs, but a catch-all discussion for collecting Tiki. Further, maybe we can start some real trading exchanges...to offset the HIGH prices of the little collectibles these days.

Ok, the anecdote. I just chatted with someone via email who purchased 3 different Steve Crane pieces at a small store. The headhunter and warrior god mugs, and bird of paradise bowl. Total price, $16.

Of course these type of things NEVER happen to me!

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-09 1:31 pm   Permalink

I think a seperate area for discussing tiki mug hunting including anything else tiki would be a great idea. Many people seem to hunting for vintage stuff, especially mugs, and this would consolidate messages and info for everyone to browse and respond to.
....and a BIG THANKS to Hanford for setting up this message board on his site- it looks great!!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-10 4:46 pm   Permalink

Tiki mug question, part 2?

I tried to post this, not sure if it worked earlier:

Hawaiian Inn "paddle sucker"..I have 2 little guys with a "knife?" in one hand and tongue sticking out. I have also seen a version with a fuller belly and sticking the "knife" in its mouth.

Which is what? paddle licker or sucker? What are those litle guys, birds? Does it matter?

Still a fave mug of mine...hee hee!

the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-10 7:56 pm   Permalink

I have to agree with TikiGardner that I think that was the purpose of the tikimug chat.

Now I have to say that the Kahiki bowl thing was a bit much. Tell Mike or Yoho- or whatever his name is, he is just plain off his rocker. Geeze-Louise man, what do you people do for a freakin livin'?!
(Obviously this guy does not have a wife who feels the need to critic,analyze and inspect every mug purchased...uh, not that mine does that...no...)
If I won the big 7 state lotto tonight, I would not have the kahunas to spend $800 on a Kahiki Bowl. Hope he insured it - hell for that kinda money, I'd just drive or fly up and get it myself.

Here's to Big Kahunas!

[ This Message was edited by: the75stingray on 2002-04-10 19:57 ]

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation