FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tiki Mugs!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Tiki Mugs!
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 2:45 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Re: "I think he told me he owns over 5,000 tiki mugs..."

Five...THOUSAND!?!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 11:19 am   Permalink

Tiki Post Office in San Franciso?

We were at our local, Lombard St, Post Office on Saturday. While in the typical lengthy line I spied something on top of the counters between each postal worker space. Took a second to register and recognize what they were, Hawaiian Village Good Luck Tiki mugs. The one with the face sort of "inside" the mug's front and Chinese characters.

Funny thing these. Why? Well not just because Hawaiian Village Tiki mugs at your local Post Office is a bit peculiar, but because they were previously mine. I bought several on Ebay once and the seller could not package things too well. I took the cracked and broken mugs to the PO and filed for insurance. Following a rather contentious "discussion" with the employee in charge of these claims we were given money for the claim. They kept the mugs.

So, a little Tiki in the Post Office. They got a deal too!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 11:51 am   Permalink

At the peak of the sugar-water business in 1950 there were over 11,000 independent soda pop brands in the U.S., so it stands to reason that there could have been 5000 Polynesian joints in the world. I'd love to have that many mugs, if just for a lovely retirement fund!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2003-04-01 12:40 pm   Permalink

The guy with the 5,000 mugs said he started collecting them seriously in the 1980s, when no one else cared about them. He also specializes in Trader Vic's drinkware and has multiples (sometimes up to 6 or 8 ) of each. He didn't have that Voodoo Grog Tumbler yet though!

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-04-01 12:43 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-01 12:40, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
The guy with the 5,000 mugs said he started collecting them seriously in the 1980s, when no one else cared about them.

Time to start collecting pottery owls then, eh?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2003-04-01 3:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Time to start collecting pottery owls then, eh?

Ah, Trader Woodsy, (corny American owl reference - don't ask), my friend, the window for owl collectibles is rapidly closing. Personally, I'm stockpiling Nagel prints and those little Serendipity books from the Eighties.

Sabu
(Owl Central)

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 3:21 pm   Permalink

Don't know if you guys already know this, but there's an OWL themed bar somewhere in Northern California (SF Area?). The SF Hoity Toity's told me about it.

No, I'm not joking - I'm serious.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-01 15:21, PolynesianPop wrote:
Don't know if you guys already know this, but there's an OWL themed bar somewhere in Northern California (SF Area?).

You are probably thinking of the Owl Tree, on the corner of Post and Taylor in San Francisco. It's across the street from Tiki Bob's!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 6:46 pm   Permalink

What gives?? Some guy drops almost $600 on Sabu's Voodoo Tumbler and another collector shells out almost $400 for BigBadTikiDaddy's, but an eBay newbie walks off with one of mine for only $150? Harumph!

(pouting) Fine! I think I'll just KEEP the rest of 'em...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-01 8:17 pm   Permalink

They said it couldn't be done, but it has! It's here, the much anticipated, ok...me and that guy over there were waiting, April Fool Tiki Exravaganza.

Otherwise known as the "Laurence Tureaud Tribute Sale".

"I pity the fool...that doesn't buy this stuff!"

Midnite's Tiki Fool Sale

I'm a fool, he's a fool, wouldn't want to be a...

midnite

midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-05 10:08 am   Permalink

Ayyyy!

Who is "articcoastguard", and why are you selling Shecky? Come on, selling Shecky?

Shecky, prostituted on Ebay

Coast Guard, it figures.

midnite

ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 02:19 am   Permalink

Just had a little eBay deja vu...one of these two auctions does not seem to contain an original description. Is it considered plagiarism even if it's only eBay? All that trouble to write a witty, informed description and not even a credit. Midnite, you might want to take a look...

Midnite's auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3221992525

Other auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3222786989&category=29460

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: ModMana on 2003-05-07 02:20 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 05:46 am   Permalink

I don't know about pottery owl's but I'll bet donuts to dollars that Nagel prints will make a big comeback in the collector market.
Saw one the other day and want 'hmm, you know, that actually looks kinda good'.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 11:22 am   Permalink

ModMana wrote:
Just had a little eBay deja vu...one of these two auctions does not seem to contain an original description. Is it considered plagiarism even if it's only eBay? All that trouble to write a witty, informed description and not even a credit. Midnite, you might want to take a look...

ModMana,
I appreciate you bringng this to my attention. At first I thought I would let it slide. Then I remembered I went to law school, and that I take a lot of time, and pride, in my listings. So, measures have been taken to correct this Ebay violation. That is not cool, use some of my info..but just copy/paste? What a tool.

Funny thing, last auction cycle I actually got "fan mail" about my listings. People do seem to enjoy them, alhtough I wish more would bid. Still, it's nice to know others find them entertaining. But steal my words, I go medieval on your ass.

Thanks again, midnite

Real 100% Authentic midnite Tiki Sale

suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-07 7:41 pm   Permalink

He didn't even bother to change the part listing the mug as "Ku"!

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation