FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Crap We Wade Through...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Crap We Wade Through...
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 1:07 pm   Permalink

Will someone please explain all of the owl/mushroom themed crap at thrift stores? It's not like one company said, "hey, owls & mushrooms are cool, lets do that" it seems that EVERY giftware company in the 70's was releasing stuff with that theme. What's the deal?

and on this topic, what has everyone else seen way too much of?

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 1:21 pm   Permalink

I've been noticing a lot of Bigmouth Billy Bass (annoying singing fish) in the thrifts lately. These items had very little lag time between retail and thrift -- maybe they should have been released direct to thrift stores to save everyone involved a lot of trouble.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:
and on this topic, what has everyone else seen way too much of?

I actually saw a nicely Witco-ish three-owl plaque that I liked yesterday except that the eyes were concentric ovals of grungy orange felt.
As to other crap we wade through, around here its actually getting better now that the evil reign of beany babies, action figures and hot wheels seems to have subsided leaving more room for things *not* made last week.
I do see too many pseudo American Indian sculpture and prints...you know, WASP-featured women with slightly darker skin dressed provocatively in skins while a wolf howls nearby, that sort of thing...and fake "old" iron figural stuff...probably made recently and speed-rusted.
In general I can't complain as I am seeing more mid century mod stuff and with it, occasional tiki. All in all, I'm having a hell of a good time.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 07:00 am   Permalink

Strangely, the owl and mushroom topic has been debated here before! Check out this link...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6986&forum=5&start=0

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 11:04 am   Permalink

Like...the Owls and Mushrooms are a signal to others in a conspiricy, man...like that Married with Children episode in which the wives sent the men out with mismatched socks as a signal to other wives. Owls and mushrooms...owls...nocturnal attackers...mushroom...atomic cloud...Oh sh*t!

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 12:34 pm   Permalink

This is a great topic and it happens so often to me when I'm looking for cool records. It becomes a little bit of a chore when you constantly file through tons of records at thrift shops, etc. only to find the among others, the same Mitch Miller, Johnny Mathis, and Barbara Streisand LPs. I guess these guys sold tons of records that ultimately NO ONE cares about anymore. Talk about disposable culture. I was just in a Goodwill store in some ass backwards town in Connecticut a few weeks ago that had shelves stacked with records. I thought fer sure I would be scoring, but there was nada one cool record in there. Just the same old thing; Kenny Loggins, Huey Lewis, and oh yeah.....MItch Miller!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-03-14 12:37 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 1:23 pm   Permalink

Happy. Pigs.
The happy pig has been an icon for 50 years. My daughter usually keeps a running count of them as we go through a day.
I have a friend who started an owl collection. He has a 2-owl end table lamp that is larger than any real owl ever was. It's just way over the top.
It's like a cheesy Twin Peaks thing with me. I see that ceramic owl and think "The owls are not what they seem."
With records, I seem the same "Victory at Sea" everywhere and some Firestone Christmas record with no picture, just a ribbon and wreath on it E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-13 13:07, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Will someone please explain all of the owl/mushroom themed crap at thrift stores?

If I collected ceramic owls instead of all the other kitschy crap I accumulate, my life would be a whole lot easier.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 7:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-14 18:13, cynfulcynner wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-03-13 13:07, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Will someone please explain all of the owl/mushroom themed crap at thrift stores?

If I collected ceramic owls instead of all the other kitschy crap I accumulate, my life would be a whole lot easier.

Somewhere out there, owl and mushroom collectors are wondering, on OwlCentral, "I wonder where all of those awful, ugly, rude, Hawaiian Tiki God mugs we used to see everywhere have gone to? Thank god we don't have to wade through THOSE anymore!".

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 8:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-14 19:13, tikibars wrote:
OwlCentral

The hardest I've laughed all month

thanks, I needed that

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 05:57 am   Permalink

I read a lost somewhere of the top 10 records forund at thrift stores. Though it varies by region (a lot more Anne Murray here I suspect) there is a lot of the same names I recognize popping up! Mitch Miller, Huey Lewis, 101 strings, the Jane Fonda Workout, Culture Club, and countless oom-pah bands for some reason. And of course, WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 06:49 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, how could I forget the endless supply of Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass LPs I see in all the thrift stores. So forgettable I forget to mention it here. Figures!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-15 05:57, tikifish wrote:
I read a list somewhere of the top 10 records found at thrift stores.

here's my list. I see these so often I don't even see them anymore.

Pat Benetar - Crimes of Passion
ABBA - Voulez Vous, Arrival
Loverboy - Get Lucky
Dr. Zhivago Soundtrack
Billy Joel - An Innocent Man, The Stranger, Glass Houses
Leo Sayer - Endless Flight
Supertramp - Breakfast in America, Even in the Quietest Moments

also: the complete oeuvre of Nana Mouskouri and those Funk & Wagnall classical records that were a grocery store premium.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 12:10 pm   Permalink

shawn cassidy self-titled lp!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-15 05:57, tikifish wrote:
I read a lost somewhere of the top 10 records forund at thrift stores.

Stuff I usually find:

- Melachino Strings (Music for Dining, Music for Reading, Music for Relaxation, etc.)
- JFK tribute records (recordings of his speeches, usually)
- First Family (comedy record)
- Welcome to the LBJ Ranch! (another comedy record)
- Freebie Christmas records from tire shops (Goodyear or Firestone, I can't remember)
- Time-Life classical records
- Mickey Mouse Disco
- More than anything else: ANDY WILLIAMS

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation