FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » I went to Bosko's Tiki paradise this weekend...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
I went to Bosko's Tiki paradise this weekend...
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 4:26 pm   Permalink

...and was AMAZED! The Tikis and masks he is carving for that new restaurant in San Diego are gorgeous! Finally an entrepeneur seems to have had the right idea:
Not only are there going to be LOTS of Tikis, but the are going to be BIG! After the frustrating missmanagement and ignorant treatment of his fine work at the Taboo Cove, Bosko much deserves to find a fitting showcase for his work. This looks like it's gonna be a good one, knock on Tiki wood.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 7:03 pm   Permalink

Great news Bigbro. Bosko works hard and it's nice to see his efforts pay off & be showcased in a venue for all to enjoy. I'm not sure if a date's been set yet for the grand opening, but I'm startin' my countdown NOW!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 9:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]O After the frustrating missmanagement and ignorant treatment of his fine work at the Taboo Cove, Bosko much deserves to find a fitting showcase for his work.

Sorry for my ignorance but, what happened at Taboo Cove?

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 12:55 am   Permalink

I checked out the location of this new San Diego restaurant a couple of weeks ago. You couldn't really see much inside the place yet as they had the windows blocked. I can tell you that it is in a fantastic location. Right in the heart of downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter at the corner of 5th and F Street (across from Croce's).

I've heard good things rumored about this place and BigBro's comments give me even more optimism. Of course, any project is going to be made better by Bosko's incredible work. Here are some photos of the building and of the advertising posters:

Wouldn't have been my first choice of names.

Nice building but no exterior work done yet.

Yes, it is called "Mister Tiki". I'm not crazy about the name but I'll try to reserve judgement until I see the whole concept come together. As you can see on the poster, this restaurant is owned by the
Cohn Group. Corporate, yes, but in my opinion they run some of the best restaurants in San Diego. I can only hope they have half the passion of other new tiki establishments like Hale Tiki.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: ModMana on 2004-03-16 00:59 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 02:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-15 21:09, Rattiki wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance but, what happened at Taboo Cove?

From what I understand, some of the customers stole everything that wasn't nailed down (and much that was)while the owners responded by playing very shite non-Tiki music.

More here:
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=487&forum=1

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 07:57 am   Permalink

Sven,
Shelley and I want to extend an open invitation to please stop by and see us on your next trip to North County. The Fabulous Lagoon Room is located VERY close to the 5 and 78. See you next time.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 08:50 am   Permalink

From the website...

"MISTER TIKI's Mai Tai Lounge will finally, open in Spring of 2004.

The restaurant design is a collaboration between the Cohns and noted San Diego Designer JLorene Gage. JLorene worked with us on the design for Kemo Sabe, Indigo Grill and Blue Point. All of our designs have incorporated the work of local artists and MISTER TIKI will be no exception.

As it turns out, San Diego is a hot bed of Tiki culture and Tiki artisans. MISTER TIKI will feature more than a dozen custom Tiki Gods and masks carved by San Diego County's own Bosko Hrnjak
http://www.tikibosko.com/about_bosko.htm.

I'm very excited about our All-Star management Team at MISTER TIKI. Jonathan Hale, our Executive Chef at Blue Point will also serve as Executive Chef at MISTER TIKI. Jon lived in Hawaii for 8 years and was Executive Chef at A Pacific Cafe in Maui. Our Chef de Cuisine will be Hawaii native, Jesse
Cruz. Jesse was most recently the opening Chef for Jean-Marie Josselin at 808 at the Aventine. He also worked with Jean-Marie at 808 in Vegas as well as Valentino's and Roy's. Our General Manager, Christopher Cooke, has worked with our Group for the past 3 years at various locations. Prior to joining the Cohn Restaurant Group, Chris was formerly a Manager with Wolfgang Puck and Scott's Seafood.

A sampling of MISTER TIKI's menu includes BBQ "Polehu" Ribs, "Ka-lua" Pork Potstickers, Trio of "Bao-Bao" Buns, Peking Duck Eggroll, Poke Platter, Hot n' Sour Duck Soup, Crab Crusted Mahi-Mahi, Shrimp Chow Mein and Pineapple Pork "Pago Pago". The TIKI BAR will offer a variety of signature tropical rum drinks (with tacky umbrellas, of course) as well as Mai Tais, Stingers,
Zombies and Navy Grogs served in retro Tiki glassware."

[ This Message was edited by: bamboo Bob on 2004-03-16 08:51 ]

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 08:54 am   Permalink

I've spent some time in the Gaslamp district, drinking and carrying on, and I can only hope that they are very aware of the music that they play there. Most of the bars/ clubs down there play nothing but the hip hop and dance music. The crowds down there are a kin to marti gras. Ugh.

It kinda concerns me about new tiki bars going up now. The younger generation out there doesn't want to sit around listening to Hawaiian music or exotica all night long. Let's face it, that stuff can put you to sleepe real quickly. This may be blasphemous (?) but maybe lounge music with a dance beat to it? I think the Tiki Tones did a record like this.

Personally, I can't stand dance or hip hop but it is the reality today in clubs/ bars. Even rockabilly or swing may be able to keep people going. Remember the bar owners are only trying to get people in the door and are watching their bottom line. Just a thought...

Looking forward to seeing what happens with this place.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-16 08:54, Luckydesigns wrote:
This may be blasphemous (?) but maybe lounge music with a dance beat to it?.

Hey Lucky, Ive been trying to do something like that.
This is the closest I myself have gotten. right click save target as.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 09:11 am   Permalink

Nice job, T$$! Got any more?

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 09:12 am   Permalink

I'm very excited about our All-Star Management Team at MISTER TIKI. Jonathan Hale, our Executive Chef at Blue Point will also serve as Executive Chef at MISTER TIKI.
------------------------------------
What a trip. The Exec Chefs last name is Hale. As in Hale Tiki. And, in Germany, they used the same tapa print we did in Augusta. Twilight Zone or what!?

Congrats Bosko! I'm sure it will be top line!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-16 08:54, Luckydesigns wrote:
This may be blasphemous (?) but maybe lounge music with a dance beat to it?

One of my favorite tracks of the past few years is a downtempo/electronic/exotica flavoured track called, "Ocean Beach" by Black Mighty Orchestra. I've mentioned it before, but you should check it out if you can find it. I guess if you look at current lounge music (downtempo electronica, basically) then the two styles together make sense. Perhaps this type of music would keep purists somewhat satisfied without driving away the unwashed masses.

Just my 2 Z's

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 10:21 am   Permalink

I like the name - Mister Tiki. Maybe he will become an enduring mascot. Already I sense that he is pleasant and accomodating, possibly even interested in the well-being of others. Sure, he may drink a lot, but he also wants to share the Tiki Goodness® far and wide.

Tiki Goodness® is a registered trademark of Martiki International, all rights reserved

...kind of.

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-03-16 10:37 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 11:27 am   Permalink

I don't want to be a grump, but the combination of this joint's location in a trendy neighborhood and the fact that it is being opened by a management company who already own a string of shi-shi restaurants make my gut feeling about this one no different from what I found at Bamboo Hut in Schaumburg, IL (see thread on locating Tiki).

To wit: trendy slick restaurant with expensive (probably very good) food, a few token Tikis and no clue about the music or making the drinks good.

I'm positive the Bosko's work will be outstanding, but I have a gut feeling it will be the only redeeming factor at this one.

Closed by 2007, at the latest.

Hope I'm wrong, but over almost ten years of watching neo-Tiki bars open, I have pretty good radar for these things.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-16 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:
"(with tacky umbrellas, of course)"

Since when are drink umbrellas tacky?

What's wrong with lounge and exotica music without a dance beat? It doesn't put me to sleep. At Trader Vic's, the Mai Kai, and others, soft, appropriate background music is perfect for setting a tropical mood and conducive for conversation without having to yell to hear each other.

I wish Bosko the best of luck and I'm hoping for the best, but I'm as skeptical as JT regarding the drinks and atmosphere, so I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation