FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 3:35 pm   Permalink

That is really cool of the Library system to let you use those wonderful samples of Polynesian Pop from their collection. I really like the Samoan Village menu. I have never seen that before. Congrats!! Hopefully I can contribute to Critiki as well someday. I have lots of menus that would find a loving home on you website. Let me know if interested.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 3:54 pm   Permalink

Next step is to get links on Ooga-Mooga direct to Critiki pages, but right now it's 2:30 in the morning

Cheesy crust! How many Humus are there? I am tying to put together new eBay templates for Midnite Enterprises* and if I get the colors right after working on them for a week I buy myself something pretty. It's all you industrious hard workers that are ruining things for us in the "leisure class".

I need break after typing those sentences.

midnite...must lie down now.

ps Good work, nice resources, the lot.

*A subsiduary of Cpt.Midnite Global, L.L.P

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 8:31 pm   Permalink

F#%&in' Fan-tas-tic! Humu, you are a genius. Next are the holographic interiors of all the restaurants so one can walk into them, right?
When in the 90s I went down to the L.A. library to photograph their menus for the BOT, they only had a handful of Polynesian ones, this is quite an improvement!
So good to continually discover that there is more to discover in our chosen field of obsession.
I still have hope that one day there will be some funding for a Polynesian Pop Museum, to house great collections like Jeff's and Mimi's.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 12:23 am   Permalink

Excellent - taking urban archeology to a new level.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 12:23 am   Permalink

Now, to get the Tiki-Ti menu in the LAPL.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2006-01-26 00:25 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 1:20 pm   Permalink

Hanford stole my thunder, but I think you'll all enjoy this nonetheless -- I've been working on this for a while, and now I've finally got my system in place.

You can now upload your own images directly to Critiki!

They can be pictures that you took during a visit, or pictures of items in your personal collection. There are only a few simple restrictions: you have to have taken the picture yourself, it has to be at least 500 pixels wide or tall, and there can't be a gaggle of people in it. The images are held for review before addition to Critiki.

Every location now has a link to upload images right there. It's purty darned easy (hopefully)! If anything goes wonky on it, shoot me a PM, but the bit of testing I've done went hunky-dory.

http://www.critiki.com

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 4:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much to everyone who has added photos to Critiki since I added the new easier image upload! Over just the past couple days, 87 new pictures have been added to Critiki.

There are new pictures for
Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki, Young's Cafeteria in West Virginia, the Papua New Guinea Sculpture Garden in Palo Alto, The Alibi in Portland, Funhauser Decor in Vancouver, B.C., Jade Island on Staten Island, Tikis Woodcarvings in North Myrtle Beach, the Hawaiian Room in NYC, the Waikikian in Waikiki, Don the Beachcomber in Waikiki, Trader Vic's on Ward Ave in Honolulu, the Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Kahala in Barcelona, the Mai-Kai in Ft. Lauderdale, Otto's Shrunken Head in NYC, and Waikiki Wally's in NYC.

Special thanks to sneakyjack, Tiki Wahine, Hanford Lemoore, tikitommy, Pepe le Tiki and mrbalihai!

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 5:47 pm   Permalink

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 10:37 am   Permalink

Ha ha, I love it!

I also added quite a few photos I've taken recently; all told, in the last few days, 31 locations have had 186 new images added:

Bamboo Hut, San Francisco -- 6 new images
Bishop Museum, Honolulu -- 1 new image
Don the Beachcomber, Las Vegas -- 1 new image
Don the Beachcomber, Waikiki -- 2 new images
Eli Hedley's Home, San Pedro -- 7 new images
Funhauser Decor, Vancouver -- 5 new images
Hawaiian Room, New York -- 1 new image
Hilton Hawaiian Village, Waikiki -- 1 new image
Jade Island, Staten Island -- 16 new images
Kahala, Barcelona -- 1 new image
Kona Club, Oakland -- 3 new images
Mai Kai, Ft. Lauderdale -- 26 new images
Martini Monkey, San Jose -- 2 new images
Otto's Shrunken Head, New York -- 4 new images
Papua New Guinea Sculpture Garden, Palo Alto -- 6 new images
Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach -- 13 new images
Samoan Sea Apartments, San Pedro -- 4 new images
The Alibi, Portland -- 1 new image
The Conga Lounge, Oakland -- 4 new images
Tiki Cocktail Lounge, Modesto -- 1 new image
Tikis Woodcarvings, North Myrtle Beach -- 6 new images
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood -- 5 new images
Tonga Room, San Francisco -- 9 new images
Trad'r Sam, San Francisco -- 1 new image
Trader Vic's, Emeryville -- 15 new images
Trader Vic's, Honolulu -- 1 new image
Trader Vic's, Palo Alto -- 2 new images
Trader Vic's, San Francisco -- 13 new images
Waikiki Wally's, New York -- 14 new images
Waikikian Hotel, Waikiki -- 1 new image
Young's Cafeteria, Glen Dale -- 14 new images

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-25 20:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Next are the holographic interiors of all the restaurants so one can walk into them, right?

We're actually a lot closer to that than you might think.

Here's some new technology that Microsoft's research group is working on in conjunction with researchers at the University of Washington:

Microsoft turns photo albums into navigable 3D worlds

Now, ordinarily, I'm about as anti-Microsoft as they come, but this is just too damned cool. I've seen the presentation given at SIGGRAPH a few days ago, and it's beyond cool. Here's a video demonstration from Microsoft -- it doesn't demonstrate the concept as well as the SIGGRAPH presentation did, but it can give you an idea (hang on to the last quarter or so, that's where it gets good):

http://labs.live.com/photosynth/videodemo.html

My first thought (after "holy shit, that's cool!," that is) was that we can create 3D representations of tiki bars. Unfortunately, there are probably not enough photos of the older tiki bars to be able to do that, but it's not too late for the ones we still have. Can you imagine a 3D-walkthrough of the entire Mai-Kai? Beyond just being fun to spend time in, it would be a marvelous documentation of this beautiful place. The technology isn't quite there yet (right now, it needs nice, bright, high-contrast images to work with -- not low-light tiki bars), but it's very exciting.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 4:38 pm   Permalink

I just made a MASSIVE, MASSIVE improvement to Critiki Maps. The old one worked in Firefox, but just barely (it was painfully slow to load), and didn't work at all in Internet Explorer.

Now, not only does it work across different browsers, it's much quicker -- downright zippy!

If you tried Critiki Maps before and it didn't work for you, try it again -- it's much more likely to work for you now (though it still is restricted to
the browsers that work with Google Maps).

Check out this view of San Francisco:

San Francisco on Critiki Maps

You can drag the window to move around, and you can zoom in and out, and you can switch between Hybrid (that's the default) to Satellite and Map views. Color tiki icons are for places that are still in business, gray tiki icons are for the places that have closed. Clicking on a tiki pops up an info window that includes a link to its Critiki entry, and its current Critiki rating.

The further you zoom out, the longer it will take to load (because there are more locations). It will work, but it might be slower. It's more of a concern in places that have a high density of tiki spots (like So Cal).

Most locations in Critiki have a Critiki Maps link (nearly 90% of them); look for the links that says "See this location on Critiki Maps" under the address. If there isn't a link to Critiki Maps, then it's because I haven't been able to find accurate enough latitude & longitude information.

Give it a whirl, and let me know how it works for you!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 08:36 am   Permalink

Excellent! Great job Humuhumu. This is going to be a great tool when taking a road trip, especially with laptop in tow.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bincho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-04 8:18 pm   Permalink

Fantastic- what an awesome looking site and function.
Nice to see some newer spots on the Tiki train

View Profile of Bincho Send a personal message to Bincho      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 11:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-04 13:20, Humuhumu wrote:
Hanford stole my thunder,

When are you 2 getting married??

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 3:19 pm   Permalink

I just completed a new feature for Critiki: Nearest Locations!

Each location now has a list of the five nearest open locations (as the crow flies):

Nearest locations to the Bali Hai in Lynnfield, Mass.

It's a great way to browse through Critiki, and it should help a lot for those looking to make travel plans.

Another change: when you're logged into Critiki and looking at a location, if you've rated it before, it will show your critiki on the right side, just below the average critiki rating. Now you can see at a glance if you've already rated a location, and you can tell if it no longer reflects your current feelings about a location, without having to go into the critiki page.

I think these changes are a pretty big improvement, I hope you like them!

http://www.critiki.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation