FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 10:31 pm   Permalink

This is fabulous, Humu! When do you find the time to do all this?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-15 11:36 pm   Permalink

WOW! Humu, you've certainly outdone yourself this time. Congrats for a job well done. I will check in often.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 07:18 am   Permalink

Humuhumu,
You're killin' me. Here I am at work w/o my copy of TRT. How do you expect me to goof off properly? Catch ya after the whistles blows.

-JTD

p.s. Great site. Can't wait to get "inside".

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 07:31 am   Permalink

Way to go Humahumahumahuma. This is a Proud new baby notjust for you but for the whole Tiki world. Thanks for the time and effort.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-03-16 08:12 am   Permalink

Look at how you rock!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 08:37 am   Permalink

Excellent - Excellent work, Humuhumu. I haven't gone legit yet with registration, but with what I've seen after nosing around there, I can't begin to guess how much time and research it required to put Critiki together. Great job!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 12:35 pm   Permalink

Brilliant!!!!

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-16 7:37 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much for your kind messages, it means so much to me. Thank you also to the kind people who have offered their information and photographs, I'll get back to you individually this evening.

I couldn't begin to count the hours of work that went into Critiki, including some vacation time. Definitely more than a few "lost weekends" but not of the alcohol induced variety. There have been some nights where I've been working on it so late that I had to stop myself from coding anymore, because I would get so sleepy I would start making really stupid coding mistakes. I have Googled 'til dawn at times, and oh my lord am I getting good at GIMP (GIMP is the Linux-y version of Photoshop. UNIX ROX!). Lots of long, long hours, and it was so much fun to work on. It's dangerous every time I do a spurt of work on it, everything else in my life ceases for a few days. I love it. And now you know why I take that infernal camera everywhere I go!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-19 12:44 am   Permalink

This is splendid achievement, Humu! Now we know where to direct those who ask, "Upcoming trip to _____. Is there any tiki there?" Thank you for this excellent contribution.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-03-20 09:49 am   Permalink

Wow! Very nice Humuhumu.......

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-20 11:31 am   Permalink

Wow, beautiful. A digital treasure map with search function! Thank Humuhumu.

View Profile of Mogambo Send a personal message to Mogambo  Email Mogambo Goto the website of Mogambo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 8:46 pm   Permalink

Hey, guess what??!! You can critiki on Critiki now! About damned time!

I finally sat down and picked up my stale code and got it hashed out. So far, the launch of Critiki has been extremely bug-free -- too bug-free, if you ask me. I'm sure this latest change will bring some termites out of the woodwork, so be sure to email me if you have trouble.

Here's how critiki-ing a location works. Each location has one or more categories you can critiki. To critiki a location, you must be logged in. There will be a link on the right hand side of the page when you're looking at a location. This link takes you to a page with all the possible critiki categories for that particular location, descriptive text for each category, and the ability to rate from 1 to 10, 1 being BAD, 10 being GOOD.

Please take a moment to read the categories carefully to understand what they are supposed to represent. It's all terribly subjective, of course, so to a certain extent you can bring your own meaning into it, but try to stay in keeping with the spirit of the category. For instance, "Mood" is not about the people inhabiting a space, it's more about the space itself, while "Vibe" is more about the people there.

Only critiki locations you have actually been to. The exception is locations that have been closed -- for these locations, I have created a special category, "Former Glory," and you can base your opinions on pictures you've seen, stories your parents told you, hell, even if you just think their mug is cool.

Critiki will remember ratings when you return, so you can update them if your opinions change in the future.

If your only experience at a location has been during a tiki event, try to take this into consideration when you're doing your ratings. For instance, TC events will often have a great band or DJ playing, so you don't really know if the music is always that good. You have the option of leaving categories blank if you don't have an opinion.

A note about Home Bars: I only have a handful in there, because I didn't want to add those bars without the owners' permission. The only ones I have are ones that were added to the Locating Tiki section on TC; I figured those people wouldn't mind. If your bar is in there, and you want it out, say the word, and it's out, pronto. But if your home bar isn't in there and you want it in, let me know! I'll only put in the information you want me to put in, the only requirement is a name for the bar, and the city it's in. Anything more is up to you. Home Bars are also unique in that you can choose which critiki categories you're comfortable with being associated with your location.

Thank you very, very much to all the kind people who have been sending me photo submissions, information about locations I don't have, updates for locations I do, and just good stuff overall. I've got a bit of a backlog, especially of photos, but I'll get to all of it eventually, I keep chipping away at it. Mahalos, big mahalos.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 9:38 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu mentioned
Quote:
In the database, but not shown on the website, I'm storing latitude & longitude.

Cool! I love using my GPS...closest thing to a tricorder I've got (pushes bandaged glasses up on nose).

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 06:11 am   Permalink

Awesome idea and execution! Already added to my "favorites" button.

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 09:09 am   Permalink

Humuhumu, it's possible Critiki could help some struggling businesses stay in the black. Your generous donation of time & talent is really inspirational!

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation