FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 12:09 pm   Permalink

Hanford, bless his tiki-lovin' soul, made that banner for me. Thanks, Hanford!

I also want to thank Crazy Al for allowing me to use a picture of his bee-utiful tiki as a graphic on Critiki. That's not him on the banner, I didn't want to use his tiki where I didn't have room for the copyright statements, but you can see it in its flame-tongued glory on every page of Critiki now.

I've come back from my Highway 99 Tiki Road Trip with lots of new information and photos for Critiki, and some ideas for some improvements, so I'm going to be pretty busy with it over the next few days!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 3:15 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:39 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 3:27 pm   Permalink

Hey Critiki...

You missed a location in Huntington Beach. It's called the Aloha Grill. Good Tiki restaurant right on Main St with THE BEST chicken wings I've ever eaten in my life..."Hawaiian Drums" .. made with Char Siu and some other stuff...totally delicious, and a huge portion for cheap...supposed to be an appetizer, but I get it as a meal.

Look into this place.
http://www.alohagrill.com/

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 4:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the photos, TNTiki! I sent you an email about them--can you upload the original files? The ones you uploaded are a bit too small for me.

Tikiyaki -- I'm often torn about what to include in Critiki and what to leave out. My aim with Critiki is to catalog locations relevant to midcentury Polynesian Pop, but not necessarily every location that has a Polynesian feel.

It's a hard line to walk. In remote places like, say, Iowa, I'm more willing to enter a location that has a tiki, or just the potential to maybe have a tiki--even if the place turns out to be a dud, I can provide a service by getting that info in the database and warning people not to waste their time.

However, in a tiki-heavy area like Los Angeles & Orange County, I'm much more likely to draw a distinction between the two, and not include something that is Polynesian, but is not midcentury Polynesian Pop. I've been imperfect in my application of it, to be sure, but I just don't feel comfortable adding every single plate lunch restaurant, Hawaiiana shop, or surf shop in the area: the poly pop stuff would get overwhelmed.

I've similarly opted to not include every single bamboo & thatch 20s-30s jazz joint: while an important predecessor to Poly Pop and thus an interesting part of the history, there are just waaaaaaay too many of them and not enough information about every single one of them to make them interesting enough to track (but I have tried to include the biggies).

Perhaps someone should start a database of plate lunch restaurants to fit that need. But that's not my passion.

Next time I'm in the HB area, though, I'll pop in and check it out.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-14 9:57 pm   Permalink

Hey, are you going to allow us to add some text comments to the reviews? I think it help...

I-Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: I-Tiki on 2004-07-14 22:03 ]

View Profile of I-Tiki Send a personal message to I-Tiki  Email I-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 10:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 15:27, tikiyaki wrote:
Hey Critiki...

You missed a location in Huntington Beach. It's called the Aloha Grill. Good Tiki restaurant right on Main St with THE BEST chicken wings I've ever eaten in my life..."Hawaiian Drums" .. made with Char Siu and some other stuff...totally delicious, and a huge portion for cheap...supposed to be an appetizer, but I get it as a meal.

Look into this place.
http://www.alohagrill.com/

You could post it to the
Plate Lunch Review Thread in the Tiki Drinks & Food Forun.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 4:15 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:39 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 4:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-14 21:57, I-Tiki wrote:
Hey, are you going to allow us to add some text comments to the reviews? I think it help...

You already can! When I was designing Critiki, I realized that if I incorporated text comments/reviews from visitors, it would be too similar to what was already going on here at Tiki Central. That's why I have links from location pages on Critiki to discussion threads on Tiki Central--you can think of those links as a "Critiki Visitor Reviews & Discussion" link. If a location you want to review doesn't have a link, simply create a thread in Locating tiki and post your review. If you don't have all the information to create a new thread in Locating Tiki, don't sweat it--just send me a PM after you've created the thread, and I'll use my Magical Moderator Powers to fill in the info for you, and then I'll make sure there's a link from Critiki to that thread. It's perfect!

I'm also going to be working on getting some of the great threads on locations that are in Main Discussions moved into Locating Tiki; feel free to pester me about a particular one you'd really like to see moved, and I'll tackle it (do that by PMing me, I don't see the UMods).

TNTiki--thank you so much! Don't worry about it right away, though, go ahead and let yourself get settled (and your new dog, too!). Whenever you have a free moment will be fine. Beggars can't be choosers!

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-08 9:07 pm   Permalink

An exciting announcement... Critiki has been unlocked!

All of the address, phone numbers, maps & other detailed information is now freely available, all you have to do is register (which is free and painless).

Up until now, this information was available only if you could prove that you owned James Teitelbaum's Tiki Road Trip. As you know, James & I collected our data totally independently and separately, I decided to lock my data up as a courtesy to guide people to James' book. James' book has been available for some time now, and if you don't have it, for chrissakes, why not??!!?? Go buy it right now, you'll love it. However, the time has come for my work to be available freely as I'd originally intended, and I hope that it will be more easily and more readily used.

Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-08 11:42 pm   Permalink

Hey, Humu, I think this is a good move. When we were in Seattle over the holidays, I wanted to check Critiki for Seattle tiki places and I couldn't because I didn't have James' book with me. And we REALLY needed to get outta the house!
Thanks!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2005-01-09 12:50 am   Permalink

humuhumu ~ thank you for sharing your labor of love with everyone! Critiki is the last website that i use before heading out on a trip.. so Priceline, Hotwire and Orbitz saves me money on travel ~ and Critiki lets me know what places to visit!

ps: tikibot..why didnt you contact me? we would have loved to guide you around! next time, ok.. promise!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 01:08 am   Permalink

Hey, DB! Sorry, it didn't occur to me until we got up there. We didn't know when we might have time to visit with anyone as we were only there three days, but it turned out we wanted to get the hell outta the house as much as possible, if you know what I mean. Ah, family and the holidays!
Next time, we promise! We hope you can make it down to the Crawl or Oasis - I'll buy you one...or three!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 6:40 pm   Permalink

Hopefully this will reduce the risk of travel disasters, Tiki-bot! (You know you could have just called my cell & I woulda given you guys the whole run-down. )

Another exciting announcement: I've created an RSS feed providing the latest five updates to Critiki:

http://www.critiki.com/updates.xml

A lot of you probably aren't very familiar with RSS, but it's terribly handy. For instance, if you use MyYahoo!, you can add this to your customized news page by clicking Add Content, and then selecting the "Add RSS by URL" link to the right of the big gray "Find" button. There are all sorts of RSS readers out there.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 7:20 pm   Permalink

Mahalo, Humuhumu,

For your continuing effort in spreading the joy that is tiki (and sometimes disappointment at the incredible tiki palaces which have been offred up to the gods).

I kept forgetting to bring my copy of TRT to work; I was going to buy another copy. Now I don't have to.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-10 19:20, christiki295 wrote:
I kept forgetting to bring my copy of TRT to work; I was going to buy another copy. Now I don't have to.

Oh, but you oughta anyhow. It's an incredible deal for such a huge amount of information, and an incredible amount of effort went into that book, it deserves every bit of support you can give it. I try to keep multiple copies of all the books (BOT, Tiki Quest, TRT) around, so I have some at home (for daydreaming and reference) and some at work (for explaining myself). This book in particular just begs to have an additional copy purchased to keep at the ready in your glove box or travelling bag.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation