FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki, Tucson, AZ (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Kon Tiki, Tucson, AZ (bar)
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 10:03 am   Permalink

I'm a big fan of the Kon Tiki. My wife's family lives in Tucson and we visit the Kon Tiki every time we go. Its good to hear that they are reviving tiki mugs there. I spoke with the bouncer on my last visit and he said they were thinking about getting tiki mugs. It is a very cool place, a step back to the original encarnation of Tiki. There is also another small bar in Tucson that has a non-tiki but retro feel. I think its called the "bomb shelter" or something like that. It looks like it's been there since the early 60's. They even had an original JKF campaign sign where Kennedy's theeth lit up (I know, sounds weird). But someone recently stole it. What a shame that people steal artifacts from these rich pop culture "working museums"!

[ This Message was edited by: Digitiki on 2004-07-28 10:04 ]

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-28 11:19 am   Permalink

Ah, the Shelter. Another favorite of ours. As far as I know the light-up JFK is still there. Something JFK-related was stolen but on the marquee a few weeks later was a thank you to someone for returning it safely.
I'm not entirely positive but I think a previous owner (within the last 20 years) was responsible for most of the decor.

View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 6:37 pm   Permalink

Hey Tucson TC people, did ya see this: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=9361&forum=1&vpost=95393 ? Does anyone have a report on whether the new tiki bar, The Hut, is still on schedule to open August 1? I was told by a Tucson Beer & Burger writer that I ran into this past May at Kon Tiki that The Hut would have tikis by Bosko. I'm eager to see more info about it on it's own thread.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 08:39 am   Permalink

The mgr did say mugs were in process.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MustDangSally
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-05 1:17 pm   Permalink

I'll have to put up my Kontiki pictures from the mid/late 80's. I still have the old shirt. Maybe I'll wear it to Luana Lounge grand opening.

View Profile of MustDangSally Send a personal message to MustDangSally  Email MustDangSally     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mo Fo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-05 1:58 pm   Permalink

I talked to Louie the Mgr a few months ago, you can see my post in tiki events. At that time he was painting the sign with the bamboo effects. He told me of the changes that were going to be taken place. One of them was Tiki mugs. He showed me a example of a Libby mug. I told him to call Holden, in thoughts that they could work something out like the Purple Orchid. Well, I talked to him earlier this week to let him know that Devil Doll was going to be in town, and he told me that he took my advice. He called Holden at Tiki Farm and they will be releasing Mugs later this month. The first will have Kon Tiki in the glaze, and the one following that will be designed just for the Kon Tiki. I was also told that these will be posted on the Tiki Farm page, and I hope that people will be able to order them so we can show these guys in Tucson some support and that they need to keep the dream of Tiki alive. I was also told that they located the guy who put in most of the art work and they are trying to bring him back to give the art a tune up. So, stay tuned.......

View Profile of Tiki Mo Fo Send a personal message to Tiki Mo Fo  Email Tiki Mo Fo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 5:18 pm   Permalink

Good move, Tiki Mo Fo, sending Louie to Holden. He mentioned he was working with them back in April and now tells me the first mugs may be in the bar the third week of this month. I can't wait to get reports from those of you in Tucson. I'd hope for mug design someday based on one of the Guanko tikis but thats probably too much to hope.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 2:53 pm   Permalink

Mrs. Digitiki and I are heading to Tucson this 3-day weekend to see the in-laws!! Can't wait to stop by the Kon-Tiki!!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 5:19 pm   Permalink

Ok, so I went to the Kon Tiki this holiday weekend and had a wonderful time...as usual. This is the first time I tried their food and it was very good!! I asked about their new mugs and they told me that they were getting mugs but they hadn't come in yet. So, I picked up the t-shirt. I can't wait to get a Kon Tiki mug!!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-12 12:58 am   Permalink

We just shipped the Kon Tiki 125 customized cobalt X-Eyes. They look really nice. In January, they're getting their own custom mugs... it's mentioned somewhere in another thread I think.
Mahaloz,
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 10:43 am   Permalink

Its good to see the Kon Tiki restart the mug thing! Are their custom mugs going to be like the original Kon Tiki mugs from way back?

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 3:26 pm   Permalink

While visiting friends in Phoenix we decided to take a ride to Tuscon to check out Kon Tiki. I don't think I can add anything to what everyone else has said. We only had about 30 min. to give everything a good lookover. I took some pics but nothing that's not already been posted. I did get the mug everyones been watching for as well as a drink menu:

We were there on a Sunday about 30 min after they opened so the place was pretty quiet. Just had drinks, no food. Wish I could've spent more time there.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 11:06 pm   Permalink

I stopped into the Kon Tiki on May 20 and saw there'd been some painting going on. Louie, the manager, told me they did most of this earlier this year. Here are some of the more obvious examples. Compare the sign by the bar entrance, April, 2004...

...with May, 2005:

The sign out by Broadway, April, 2004:

Broadway sign, May, 2005:

Big tiki to the right of the door, April, 2004:

Same tiki, May, 2005:

A comparison with Humuhumu's pics taken in Feb, 2005 shows that repainting of the main sign had not been started, the Broadway sign was in progress and the tiki was finished.

I was impressed with Tucson hospitality when Tikitucson emailed me and asked if I'd like to meet them there. Here they are with the new (just out of the case when I arrived and not even available at the bar yet) mug and shot glass from Tiki Farms.

We were also joined by Cheeky Half.

Louie said the exclusive Kon Tiki bowls by Tiki Farm mentioned in this thread,
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10980&forum=7 , are "on the water" and should be available soon.

They also seem to be introducing new shirt designs with some frequency so if like that sort of thing, you might check every couple months. They've had three distinct waves of shirts, by my count, in the last year and a half.

Tiki Mo Fo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-16 3:59 pm   Permalink

I spoke with Louie a few times in the last few months. I helped with guiding him on a recent trip to CA to get ideas on expansion. So, as things move on with that I will post. I also sp with Louie about two weeks ago and he is looking at some big surpise this spring. Keep tuned.

View Profile of Tiki Mo Fo Send a personal message to Tiki Mo Fo  Email Tiki Mo Fo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 10:33 pm   Permalink

Did a roadtrip to Tucson, and visited the venerable Kon Tiki. I picked up a Kon Tiki mug during my visit. The mug is made by Tiki Farm (with the mug designer being 'Squid'?). 'Kon Tiki' is printed on the front, and 'Tuscon, AZ' on the back.

You get the mug when you order the Kamehameha for $11.00. The drink is nothing to write home about, but the mug is cool!

Front

Back

Bottom

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation