Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Vanishing America - Augusta GA
Vanishing America - Augusta GA
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-18 1:44 pm   Permalink

While in Augusta, I was amazed at the downtown area. Like a time capsule. HERE is the addition to the Swank Pad for Augusta.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-18 1:56 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's very cool. There are some streets in Detroit like this, but they too sill soon be mowed down for more Costco's and Old Navy's. Damn!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-18 2:33 pm   Permalink

Wow, that reminds me of old downtown Torrance (and countless other cities) when I was growing up. Now Wal-Mart has put most of them out of business.

It's always sad to see the old movie palaces close. Fortunately, we have a few theaters here in the Bay Area that have been restored and are still in use, like the Grand Lake, the Castro, and my favorite, the Paramount:

There will be a docent-led tour of the Paramount during SF Crawl weekend. Does anyone want to go?

--cindy

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-18 2:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-18 14:33, cynfulcynner wrote:
There will be a docent-led tour of the Paramount during SF Crawl weekend.

I highly recommend the tour. It's only $1 and it's a 2 hour tour throughout the entire theatre including backstage, and an amazing Wurlitzer organ mini-concert and light show.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-18 2:51 pm   Permalink

Visitors to the SF Crawl may also want to see the Exhibit on Art Deco (1910-1939) at the Legion of Honor museum in San Francisco. The exhibit originated in London and is only showing in San Francisco and Boston.

http://www.thinker.org/legion/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?exhibitionkey=320

The Paramount theatre is the one of the 2 best Art Deco theatres in the country, along with Radio City Music Hall. I wish I could see the Pantages in Hollywood, but I can't stomach seeing the Lion King just to get a look at the theatre.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-18 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-18 14:51, thejab wrote:
I wish I could see the Pantages in Hollywood, but I can't stomach seeing the Lion King just to get a look at the theatre.

Maybe one of these might be more palatable?

For the 2004-2005 season, the Pantages will be hosting "Mama Mia" (based on the songs of Abba), "Miss Saigon", "Movin' Out" (based on the songs of Billy Joel), "Peter Pan" (starring Cathy Rigby), "Les Miserables", "Oklahoma!", "Evita" and "The King and I" starring Stephanie Powers.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-18 4:48 pm   Permalink

Wow! I thought the Lion King was there forever (at least it seemed like it everytime I visited L.A.)

Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-19 06:30 am   Permalink

I went to a bar in Port Huron, MI about a year ago at Christmas. I felt like I had walked into Nick's (or was it Martini's?) from "It's A Wonderful Life" the place was classic.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-20 10:27 pm   Permalink

-That shot of "the Marine Club"- I expected to see Bob Mitchum come staggering out throwing punches at any second.
Excellent blitzkrieg photo coverage Swanky!

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-20 10:49 pm   Permalink

Bet the strip clubs would disappear faster if they also grandfathered the strippers and didn't allow them to hire new ones...

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-20 11:28 pm   Permalink

I vote for a mass excursion to the Marine room after the Hale Tiki opening.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 1:31 pm   Permalink

Amen JT! They kept saying "you don't want to go there. The bottom of the barrel." I LOVE the bottom of the barrel strip clubs!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-22 7:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-21 13:31, Swanky wrote:
Amen JT! They kept saying "you don't want to go there. The bottom of the barrel." I LOVE the bottom of the barrel strip clubs!

You should check out the Hiphugger in Sunnyvale (South of San Francisco) if you're ever out here. The sign still says "go-go dancers"!

In Portland they have a strip club in a teapot-shaped building! I can't remember where it was or it's name.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation