FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Mr Smiley Visits Portland May 12-May16
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mr Smiley Visits Portland May 12-May16
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 12:15 am   Permalink

[OK, I hate it when topics get changed in midstream and I don't want to intrude on Mrs Miley's grand plans but here I go anyway...]

The Tiki Lodge in Spokane is NOT woth a look. Apparently Tiki Lodge was something of a chain. The listing in the Oregon section of "Tiki Road Trip" sums up Spokane's Tiki Lodge as well. I have a vintage post card from the Spokane Tiki Lodge and even when it was shiny new all there was of interest was it's "A" frame form. Ooooh. But they must have been impressed with themselves: A small ad for the Spokane Tiki Lodge I clipped from an old magazine has a Tiki in it.

Now back to Miley In Portland...If you don't know already: Maori_man's shop, Dr. Tongue's 3-D House of Collectible Toys (1408 E Burnside 503-233-8915), is definitely worth a look-see. Chock full of (Surprise!) collectible toys. Lots of "Oh, man, THOSE!" moments. He even sells a collection of the weird candy you thought was long gone...Like candy cigarettes and bubblegum cigars. Fair to real good prices, friendly staff, and the shops small enough to eaves drop on every passing converstaion which made my visit feel like I was an extra in "The Android's Dungeon: The Movie" as written produced and directed by Kevin Smith.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-29 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 00:15, woofmutt wrote:
[OK, I hate it when topics get changed in midstream and I don't want to intrude on Mrs Miley's grand plans but here I go anyway...]

The Tiki Lodge in Spokane is NOT woth a look. Apparently Tiki Lodge was something of a chain. The listing in the Oregon section of "Tiki Road Trip" sums up Spokane's Tiki Lodge as well.

My apologies for changing the topic. I didn't realize it was already in TRT as I was at work when I posted that and I don't keep a copy of the book at work. Now, back to a topic I love to talk about: Portland!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 9:34 pm   Permalink

Ah hell...I think I'm gonna cut my fingers off so I can't type no more. Wait, I already can't type.

Just in case it was taken wrong I wasn't implying that I was put off by anyone's topic change in this thread. I just didn't want the original poster to...Ahhh forget this. I've got some Old Forester that I have to put into some Coke and then put all that into me.

Oh, and see the Chinese Garden in Portland.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-04-30 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 21:34, woofmutt wrote: Just in case it was taken wrong I wasn't implying that I was put off by anyone's topic change in this thread.

No offense was taken. You made a good point to stay on topic. Let's drink to Portland!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Oaktown Tiki

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Let's drink to Portland!

Alrighty!
Here's to you 'Portland
through a shot glass with a buffalo squeeze.'

View Profile of Oaktown Tiki Send a personal message to Oaktown Tiki  Email Oaktown Tiki Goto the website of Oaktown Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:29 pm   Permalink

Woofmutt, I hope you stayed away from the cutlery after the bourbon and cokes. I agree that no one was offended. Well, there was that Mrs. Miley remark...

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:07 pm   Permalink

"Let's drink to Portland!"

Thanks, jab, I needed a reason to drink tonight!

Viva La Portland!

(Holy Hell! I shift you not- As I was about to press "Submit" for this post the song "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn and Jack White came on the radio! Too freaky for me. I'm going back to TV.)

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-05-06 3:23 pm   Permalink

Looks like we will be meeting up at The Alibi for drinks Friday Night May 14 at 6pm.
Now, what about a couple home bars, should that be Saturday night --or one after the Alibi if there is one in that general section of Portland? Mr. Smiley wants to know..
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-05-07 10:49 am   Permalink

Looks like we will be meeting up at The Alibi for drinks Friday Night May 14 at 6pm.
Now, what about a couple home bars, should that be Saturday night --or one after the Alibi if there is one in that general section of Portland? Mr. Smiley wants to know.
Any other suggestions for must see places?? Bars, stores(esp vintage clothing), restaurants, etc??

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 10:49, mrsmiley wrote:

Now, what about a couple home bars, should that be Saturday night --or one after the Alibi if there is one in that general section of Portland? Mr. Smiley wants to know.
Any other suggestions for must see places?? Bars, stores(esp vintage clothing), restaurants, etc??

Damn! I'm driving up from San Francisco Friday and Saturday! Sorry I'll miss the happy hour...

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-05-07 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 10:49, mrsmiley wrote: Any other suggestions for must see places?? Bars, stores(esp vintage clothing), restaurants, etc??

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=8700&forum=6
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7513&forum=6
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=1185&forum=1
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=4879&forum=6

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-05-10 7:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 10:49, mrsmiley wrote:

OK-what's up for Saturday night--anything??

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-05-11 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 21:34, woofmutt wrote:
see the Chinese Garden in Portland.

wooffie--is this the one?? ;
"Chinese Gardens
(503) 252-2002 410 SE 162nd Ave
Portland, OR"

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-05-12 2:39 pm   Permalink

I will be leaving for the airport in a few minutes and should not have a chance to check email this weekend. My # is 510-BIG-HUNK if you want to try to get ahold of me to meet up somewhere or talk to me at the Alibi at 6pm Friday the 14th---Bruce Smiley

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-05-27 17:04 ]

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:20 pm   Permalink

Had a nice dinner at Jake's Seafood and walked around the neighborhood. Lots of bars nearby-but when I'd peek in, all I saw was a bunch of muscular guys in tank tops hanging out with not a woman in sight!!! What does this mean??? They were all very friendly to Mr Smiley (and to each other)-so I will have to guess that Portland is a very friendly town! I did feel put off by their bodies, as Mr Smiley has a six-pack stomach (albeit a LO-CARB one) and couldn't compare to their washboard stomachs. So I didn't hang out in each of those places for more than three or four drinks each.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-05-13 13:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-05-13 13:24 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation