Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Heating honey vs. honey/water mix
Heating honey vs. honey/water mix
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-20 11:28 am   Permalink

In the Grog Log, the recipe for Don's Own Planter's calls for a heated mixture of honey and water. The great thing about that mixture is once it is liquified it STAYS that way -- even if you refrigerate it, so its ready to go for the second (third, fourth, etc) round.

Other recipes call for heated honey, which thickens soon after being removed from heat.

Why not just use the honey & water mixture? Maybe use a little more of that to even out the taste?

Is there a marked difference between the two that anyone can tell?

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 1:26 pm   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7077&forum=1

I had the same thought and ran it by Kern at the Mai Kai. I have been using my honey syrup ever since.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 8:13 pm   Permalink

So, Swanky... Did you ever get any advice on proportions and the like? What recipe have you settled on?

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 9:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link, Swanky. It didn't turn up in a search, believe it or not.

I made the mix last night, 1 part honey/1 part water and it worked fine. Got a nice batch in the fridge ready for the next round...

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 10:41 pm   Permalink

What I have be using is 1/3 to 1/4 extra. Like the recipe I made last night called for 3/4 ounce honey, so I used 1 ounce honey syrup.

You don't have to store it in the fridge. I keep mine out on the bottom shelf and it's been fine for a few months now.

2 lbs. honey
2 cups water.

It is much thinner than sugar syrup. Pours easier. I am not up for doing a taste test just yet. Maybe one day I'll try it the old way and see how the honey syrup compares to the honey in a recipe. But, it's too much work.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation