FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Dollar Tree Tiks!!!!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Dollar Tree Tiks!!!!!!
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 11:08 am   Permalink

Wow, Just got the tip off on this, and I figured I'd share it with everyone, At the "Dollar Tree" chain of dollar stores they have small (4 to 5 in) tikis, they are similar to Coco joes, or other "Lava/Hapawood"figurines, but these are resin of some sort, We have been told that there are ten different ones, we found 8 different ones, gotta find the other two,
They are cool, cheap (just a buck ya cheap bastards!! LOL) and well detailed, if ya dont have a dollar tree in your neck o the woods let me know and I'll go pick some up for ya...!
For a buck how can you go wrong

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 4:29 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks for the heads up. I've never been to Dollar Tree before but damn, they had some interesting stuff! And everything's just a buck!

These tikis are pretty cool in a kitschy way. They actually measure 6-7" high and it looked like they were flying off the shelf as 80% of their designated shelf area was empty. I managed to find seven different styles. They're definately more whimsical than traditional, especially the ones that have two tikis per statue, but well designed.

I also bought several bundles of bamboo at a dollar per bundle and a wicker wastebasket. Yup, a dollar. They had some other tropical items as well: fake palm fronds, fake live bamboo, ceramic conch shells, real sea shells etc.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 6:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tip; much as with the TJ Maxx stuff, I enjoyed the hunt as much as the prize. I only found eight of these though. How reliable is your information that there are ten?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-22 6:20 pm   Permalink

I also stopped at a nearby Dollar Tree store - I think these tikis are pretty cool, especially for a buck. I may go back and try to buy more - it would be neat to be able to hand a free tiki to the kids of some of my friends when they visit.

The clerk here (in Northern VA) also said these things were selling like crazy, and they have only been on the shelves for less than a week.

My Dollar Tree also had some pretty realistic looking resin palm trees. These stand about 6 inches tall, have translucent water, and some of the coconuts are brown, and some of them are green. They had about 6-7 different varieties of these palm trees - also for $1 each. I think these will look great as a background edge behind or besides some of my other tiki stuff.

I also got some real bamboo placemats, and some kitchen/bar towels with palm trees on them - again, only $1 each.

Oh, I stopped at a thrift and found a video of the 1979 Linda Blair film 'Roller Boogie - damn thrift charged me $3 for it.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-22 18:18, tikijackalope wrote:
Thanks for the tip; much as with the TJ Maxx stuff, I enjoyed the hunt as much as the prize. I only found eight of these though. How reliable is your information that there are ten?

I hit another Dollar Tree today (I've got like eight of 'em in a seven mile radius) and picked up one more style for a total of eight. Four single tikis, a double with a small tiki on top of a large, a double with a small one in front of a large, a double with two side by side and a triple with 3 side by side. I feel geeky.

What's cool about Dollar Tree is it's cheaper than a thrift store and the junk is new and doesn't smell funky.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 7:08 pm   Permalink

I've got the seven shown in Kono's photo along with the group of three on one base. Be careful with these things; I noticed in a couple of broken ones that the resin is pretty thin. One of the stores had a nice display of tikis, plates, toothpick holders, place mats, silverware and those palm trees.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 8:22 pm   Permalink

Seems that my informant was wrong, He actually told me that he picked up eght of them, they do seem to be going like hotcakes... Nice cool cheap stuff!

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 9:59 pm   Permalink

I just snagged some this evening. There weren't many left. Pretty good quality for a buck! The photo isn't great, but neither is my digital camera!

Anybody remember "Trilogy of Terror" with Karen Black? These little guys kinda remind me of that movie. Was that a tiki?

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 10:12 pm   Permalink

Where are these Dollar Tree stores? Any in S. Cal?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 11:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the $1 tiki tip. Go to www.dollartree.com and then go to their location page. Type in your zip code and they give you store locations in a 50 mile radius. I found tons of stores by me too! I am off tomorrow for the $1 tiki hunt.

tj

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 02:30 am   Permalink

Kono said
Quote:
I feel geeky.

Worry not. Geeky is when you sort all of the tikis in a Dollar Tree into their types and then choose one of each based on appearance and how straight they stand while the clerk and the other customers look at you funny. Odd thing was, I wasn't even self-concious.

SilverLine, your photo is perfect and very useful as a checklist; I have the same ones. You asked:
Quote:
Anybody remember "Trilogy of Terror" with Karen Black? These little guys kinda remind me of that movie. Was that a tiki?

I think its supposed to be a Zuni doll, but thanks for reminding me of that movie before I go to bed in a house full of action figures, store window automations and tikis with bared teeth that I'd swear are multiplying...and I think I hear KCtiki's owl people outside.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-03-23 02:49 ]

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 07:27 am   Permalink

Wow! This was an even better score than the T.J. Maxx Suffering Bastard's! These tikis work wonderfully filling in the blank spots on my mug shelf! I hadn't felt that giddy about buying something in years and I actually contemplated camping out in the parking lot until they opened! I even pulled out the phone book and lined up another store to hit if my local Dollar Tree was sold-out but I didn't have to play that card! Thanks for the tip Rustbeltcat!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 09:30 am   Permalink

Coming soon: Own your own Zuni fetish doll (WHY?)
http://www.majesticstudiosinc.com/zuni.html

Are sea monkeys tiki-compatible? http://www.majesticstudiosinc.com/news3.html

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 09:37 am   Permalink

I made the short 3 mile trip to Dollar Tree. Cool tikis, but I didn't buy any. I saw one on the shelf that someone broke, and being the curious one I inspected it to see what they were made of. They are hollow inside (unlike Coco Joe's) and they are made of a grey plastic sprayed with brown(ish) paint.

Also...
previous Zuni Doll/Trilogy of Terror chatter.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 11:16 am   Permalink

I like those Dollar Tree tikis. They look especially nice in the Land of No Tiki's (N. Texas). They are selling really fast. My local Dollar Tree doesn't have many left and who knows if they'll ever get them in again. It seems to be a pretty hot item. I wanted to be sure I had a few on hand.

[ This Message was edited by: Juno on 2004-03-23 11:17 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation