[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki pub tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
pub tiki
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-22 11:05 pm   Permalink

greetings! anyone out there have any pics of the interior of the former 'Pub Tiki' of philadelphia..(postcard or personal). I've always been intrigued by their logo tiki with the 1 1/2 on his chest. i know that there were originally three pubs (only one being tiki), two in philly and one in pennsauken, new jersey. the two in philly are gone but 'The Pub' in new jersey is still around and is a great remenant of fifties restaurant culture with an odd medieval flare.
'The Pub' in NJ still advertises their original 1 1/2 relish bar a nice connection to their tiki. i have also heard that the 1 1/2 is the amount of shots they use in mix drinks that usually require 1.
anyhow.. i would love to see any pics of the inside of the original Pub Tiki!

View Profile of ekman spiral Send a personal message to ekman spiral      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 07:59 am   Permalink

Ekman welcome! I too am a Pub Tiki fan, not ever having been there or even seen where it was located, but bcause it was about an hours drive away from my home in northern Maryland, I kinda consider it a local tiki bar! I have never seen interior photos of the place but their fantastic logo alone is worthy of respect...I have a swizzle, matchbook and the beloved signature mug but no postcards! Sabu - can you help us out here?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-24 07:44 am   Permalink

thanks for the reply johntiki.. i was able to find a few articles on 'the pub tiki' and now really need to see the inside... "the Pub Tiki, with its exotic dishes, waterfall, and glowing map of Polynesia..." sounds good!!
here are the links to the articles.. check them out:

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/sasalum/newsltr/winter98/richman.html

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/061898/food.shtml

View Profile of ekman spiral Send a personal message to ekman spiral      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 09:10 am   Permalink

That original "Pub" sounds like a great place!
No int/ext. shots of the "pub tiki" in my archive either, I am very curious too. I have a menu cover with an nice ornamental border, the logo Tiki used as "I" in the word "TIKI", and a full color photo of a Polynesian family at a Luau.

The only clue I had for the cryptic "1 1/2" was on the matchbook:
"Park Free 1 1/2 Hours"

I thought they must have been on some expensive real estate to put that on a mug! The shot theory makes more sense.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-24 07:44, ekman spiral wrote:
"the Pub Tiki, with its exotic dishes, waterfall, and glowing map of Polynesia..." sounds good!!

I'm with you, now I've GOT to see the inside! It sounds like more than what I expected from the Pub Tiki - I only pictured a hole-in-the-wall not an exotic paradise!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 5:48 pm   Permalink

Ekman, where exactly is the Pub restaurant in NJ? Since Im a fan of the 50s I want to go there but cant recall where it is, even though I know Ive driven past it. Thanks!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-24 8:49 pm   Permalink

ok tikigoddess . . . its on route 130 in pennsauken right outside collingswood. if you take the benjamin franklin bridge.. once over the bridge stay to the left (the road splits) once through camden there will be an exit on the right for 130 (i believe its marked) at the end of the ramp there will be a light.. you should see 'The Pub' on your right. its literally about 5 minutes, if that, once over the bridge.
next to the pub is a huge K-mart sized thrift store called village thrift.. check that out when your in the area.. i've never actually found anything besides some clothes, but the potential is there for some good tiki finds.
a side note about 'The Pub'.. if you go around dinner time do yourself a favor and order a main dish.. they are very odd about that...it must date back to their 'Pub Tiki' days as i have a small postcard size menu that states:
"If no order main dish, getting free, one clean glass schuylkill punch and one dirty look"
can you believe that!!

anyhow ... ENJOY!!

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-27 9:21 pm   Permalink

Here's a pic of the Pub Tiki mug I have...anyone else have any variations?

TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 6:44 pm   Permalink

E. Spiral, thanks so much for the directions! Today my husband and I went to the flea market in NJ (no tiki-related purchases made) and then headed over to the PUB for lunch but when we got there it was closed, it doesnt open til 2pm on Sundays. We did sneak inside to check out the decor, and its really neat-o!! Wowsville! Cant wait to eat there! We went in the Village Thrift too, it was a disgusting dump. We lasted about 10 seconds in there.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-28 8:26 pm   Permalink

johntiki... thats him!
tikigoddess... yes the village thrift is a 'disgusting dump'.. glad you at least got to see inside the pub.. i'm now learning that there were 5 pubs originally.. the best one of course being the pub tiki!

fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 5:53 pm   Permalink

I have a very odd set of pub tiki s&p's

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 7:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-31 17:53, fatuhiva wrote:
I have a very odd set of pub tiki s&p's

I'd be shocked if you didn't!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 9:08 pm   Permalink

fatuhiva.. what do they look like.. do they have the 1 1/2 tiki on them?

fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 6:18 pm   Permalink

i think they just say "pub tiki"

i will get a pic of them up..

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-05 11:24 pm   Permalink

to anyone following the pub tiki interior quest thread.. i have just written a letter to the owner of the PUB .. he is from the original family of owners so he may have something.. we'll see!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation