FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki pub tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
pub tiki
newtotiki

Posted: 2005-03-19 8:06 pm   Permalink

I have an old mug or vase from Pub Tiki in Philadelphia. I have a pic of it, but it doesn't have the 1 1/2 on it. It is simply a face, with the back side reading Pub Tiki Philadelphia, PA. I'm about to place it on ebay to see what it brings. Had no idea there was such in interest in tiki! But in researching this mug I came across this site, and someone mentioned if anyone else had a mug of different variety...no idea how to submit the pic though on here.

View Profile of newtotiki Send a personal message to newtotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drushoy

Posted: 2005-09-24 6:14 pm   Permalink

my uncle and his two partners built all the pubs, the one in pennsauken and the rest in phila. my father was general manager until his death in 1971.

I have a full and rich memory and history of all the pubs and would be delighed to answer any questions that anyone may have.

i was a busboy from 1964 (summer job) at Pub Tiki until i started college in 1968.

the only picture i have of Pub Tiki are home movies when we closed tiki on a saturday afternoon in 1965 and had my younger brother's bar mitzvah party there.

View Profile of drushoy Send a personal message to drushoy  Email drushoy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-24 7:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha Drushov....got any memory of any mugs or matchbooks layin around that you wanna get rid of.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drushoy

Posted: 2005-09-24 7:25 pm   Permalink

sorry, i have no physical memorabilia except for the home movies. have many many memories, tho.

drushoy

View Profile of drushoy Send a personal message to drushoy  Email drushoy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikeNJ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-12 2:00 pm   Permalink

I recently found a set of salt-n-pepper shakers from the PUB TIKI, they are small and brown in the shape of a tiki and one says pub on it and the other says tiki on it, i discovered them at the Berlin Farmers Market.They are in fair condition and have no stoppers in the bottoms. A lady there had many gems from old South Jersey restaurants which are long gone. I was hoping she had stuff from the Hawaiian Cottage another former tiki restaurant here in south jersey but she did not...better luck next time! Hope to get a pic of them up soon!

View Profile of TikiMikeNJ Send a personal message to TikiMikeNJ  Email TikiMikeNJ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 3:37 pm   Permalink

TikiMike - I've got a couple Hawaiian Cottage mugs that I'd be more than happy to trade or sell if you're interested. My parents bought a big lot of mugs from the H.C. at a flea market in Berlin MD last fall and I offered them to anyone interested and got no response...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-18 10:52 am   Permalink

well... i am selling off my Pub Tiki memorabilia... including the original 1 1/2 mug, the cocktail menu, a matchbook cover and a 1 1/2 swizzle stick. anyone interested PM me....

View Profile of ekman spiral Send a personal message to ekman spiral      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-22 23:05, ekman spiral wrote:
greetings! anyone out there have any pics of the interior of the former 'Pub Tiki' of philadelphia..(postcard or personal). I've always been intrigued by their logo tiki with the 1 1/2 on his chest. i know that there were originally three pubs (only one being tiki), two in philly and one in pennsauken, new jersey. the two in philly are gone but 'The Pub' in new jersey is still around and is a great remenant of fifties restaurant culture with an odd medieval flare.
'The Pub' in NJ still advertises their original 1 1/2 relish bar a nice connection to their tiki. i have also heard that the 1 1/2 is the amount of shots they use in mix drinks that usually require 1.
anyhow.. i would love to see any pics of the inside of the original Pub Tiki!

I believe 1 1/2 referred to the free 1 1/2 hour free parking at Pub Tiki .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 6:25 pm   Permalink

I was kind of surprised to go through this thread and see that "drushoy" signed up on TC to let us know about the Restaurant, specifically the Pub Tiki, that he worked at for four years in the sixties and nobody asked him any questions! This was over 5 years ago! We gotta take advantage of these situations when they come up. These memories of these places are very quickly fading!

It would have been cool to get his description of the restaurant and maybe even hound him a bit to possibly get that home video he talked about possibly digitized so he could grab some still shots of the interior. It might have been the only time we could have seen inside this very elusive Tiki Bar.
Good thing we asked him if he had anything to sell!

I only bring this place up as I has seen this ashtray:

It's of the location in New Jersey and the non-tiki one but still thought it would be good to put here. Neat to see the 1 1/2 that they are so famous for on the ashtray as well and also the font of the "Pub" which was the same on their Tiki items. Really isn't too much on here as the previous photos are all gone. Maybe we should get some on here.

TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-07-15 20:48 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 6:32 pm   Permalink

I'll add a couple more mugs that I have seen from Pub Tiki:

The Moai from OMC:

The Fogcutter version with their logo Tiki and the 1 1/2 (For free parking) :

Here are some rare salt and peppers I saw a while ago and saved the image:

Mahalo!
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 8:56 pm   Permalink

Here's two matchbooks that I have:

These are pretty common and are seen regularly. These have the same cool glassware drawings as the ashtray posted previously. I really like their Logo Tiki. It's quite unique.

Here's the other:

This one is pretty much the same except it says "The 5 Pubs". Both these matchbooks clearly state the "PARK FREE 1 1/2 Hrs.".

Mahalo,
TabooDan

ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-17 1:33 pm   Permalink

pub tiki swizzle...skull top -bone bottom-pub tiki on back

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 7:44 pm   Permalink

Since this thread began I have been to The PUB many times, the decor is killer (Its sort of medieval) and the food is AWESOME!!!! Seriously excellent food. I asked the bartender about the 1 1/2 and he said The 1 1/2 refers to the fact that the drinks have 1 1/2 oz of liquor in them rather than just 1 oz. Doesnt refer to free parking at the current establishment. I didnt see any references to PUB TIKI inside, just old PUB menus which were pretty neat-o.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGoddess 2010-07-17 19:46 ]

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 10:12 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan and all,

Great pics on the swag from this classic Tiki mecca. I saw this unusual mug from Pub Tiki on ebay that had the signature Tiki on the handle, don't remember seeing this one before.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-23 07:10 am   Permalink

dusty
what a cool mug!! i've never seen this one before..

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation