FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki kona kai philadelphia originals!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
kona kai philadelphia originals!!
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-23 9:42 pm   Permalink

i have recently stumbled across the original tiki statues from the kona kai philadelphia!! well it was actually a couple months ago and the woman running the counter didn't seem too happy about me inquiring about them!? but she assured me they were from 'the old tiki bar out on the mainline' the location of the original marriott kona kai! she mumbled the price range which i thought at the time was a little high for my wallet.. but perhaps i should go look again.. they were really obscured so i doubt anyone is going to 'impulse' buy them, let alone find them!!
any big time spenders/collectors out there want the location?

View Profile of ekman spiral Send a personal message to ekman spiral      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 10:37 pm   Permalink

I am very interested. I had heard about the existence of these years ago. That dealer must have been sitting on them a long time, probably because they want outrageous money for them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 10:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha Ekman!

What is the price range for them?

Can you get pictures?

Do let us know.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 01:03 am   Permalink

YES, photos and more detailed descriptions please. We wouldn't be interested in buying them but we do want to know if they are similar to the one we bought last year from the old Kansas City location. (do a search on our first post to read about that). Someone on TC really must pursue this and get them safely into a proper collection!! C'mon folks...This sounds like a rescue mission! Are there any other Kona Kai items there besides the carvings??

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lars
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-24 01:14 am   Permalink

WOW!! Must be nice.

View Profile of Lars Send a personal message to Lars  Goto the website of Lars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 04:05 am   Permalink

Hmm...I do have really tall ceilings in this old house. Please tell us more.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 07:11 am   Permalink

I am guessing that they are hardwood, not palm. I have the blueprints for some, from Armet and Davis, designed by Irving Weisenberg (BOT p.245, compare to entrance Tikis on page 140). I am not sure if OA carved them, or who did.

Since that Kona Kai was the flagship of the chain, they must be pretty nice. I am guessing the prices in the range of over grand each?

Then again, if you look at the Tiki post on page 141 of the BOT, the design might not always be that great, that one looks kind of too square to me.

I wonder what happened to the glass paintings behind the bar...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-24 07:35 am   Permalink

hello all.. i thought that may have generated some interest! i will be heading that way this friday and will check them out again.. hopefully get some shots and ask a few more questions and generally make sure they're still around!! let's keep our fingers crossed..
from what i remember they looked very well done, very dark and ranged in height.
are there any particulars i should question?

View Profile of ekman spiral Send a personal message to ekman spiral      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 08:06 am   Permalink

Yeah, you should question their high price!
Since they have been sitting on them for years, recommend them to make the Tikis "priced to sell", (i.e. affordable to us).
Damn thing is, they probably have my book...

Any shots would be appreciated. Hmmmm...If they had other things like lamps from the place they have probably sold them by now...

ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-24 08:49 am   Permalink

.. yes unfortunately i didn't see any other items but i'll have to inquire a little further...

btw. bigbrotiki i thoroughly enjoyed your book.. i thought of you instantly when i saw them lurking out at me.. (having had a great section on the kona kai in your book)

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 11:06 am   Permalink

Ekman,
Don't talk price, just ask. Don't make like you really want them and try to take the pics without a flash and so no one knows you are doing it.
If someone wants to buy, you might tip these folks off and make it harder.
When I went in on my Guanko, it had been there for years at $800-900 bucks. I went in and found the owner and acted like I knew nothing. Said "$600" he said yes, I paid, and then told him what it was.
Try not to get their attention or you may drive up the price for someone who really wants to buy.
DO NOT EVER MENTION BOT!!!! It's still a weak market really and we need to keep it that way for us lovers, and not make it a "collectors" world. Yes, we are collectors, but not capital C collectors. Most everyone on this board still has a hard time paying $20 for a mug...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 1:07 pm   Permalink

i'm very interested (depending upon the price).

my plan would be to use these in a public setting in new jersey.

i live relatively near philly (i'm in monmouth county, nj) & could maybe help you lugging these babies around or sneaking photos, etc.

feel free to pm or email me.

thanks for the tip,
tiki chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 1:45 pm   Permalink

Count me in as VERY interested. I'll be traveling in that area soon and would love to bring one home!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-24 9:00 pm   Permalink

ok good tips..
keep in mind the woman sort of scoffed at me when i inquired about their asking price like she had sized me up or something... "in the thousands" i believe she replied..
i did read that these particular kona kai tikis were filled with solid gold.... i think she may be on to us!

stay tuned for friday...

ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-26 7:12 pm   Permalink

ok... so i should maybe move this thread to the one i've already started about the 'Pub Tiki'. i am trying to find any interior shots that may exsist from this increasingly amazing deceased restaurant.
i have returned from the antique shop and have inquired about the 5 massive tikis. the owner is now telling me that most are from the 'Pub Tiki' (that used to be on 1718 walnut street and not the kona kai that was out towards the mainline area..sorry for the confusion but i was told erronously from another staffer there), one is from australia? and another from a restaurant? entitled 'Langer's' (or something that sounds like that) that closed "over forty years ago" in Malvern, PA.
so who knows what to think.. but i guess thats part of the thrill trying to put all these pieces together!
i will include a link below to some pics i snapped.. they are not taken at the best angle as they were perched really high, probably one of the reasons that he's had them for so long without sale.... the other reason being that he wants .. $5500 for the larger to $2500 for the smaller ones!!!!!!
they are authentic though.. you just feel it eminating from these amazingly detailed figures.. check out the one on the left!

http://www.netwt.org/tiki.html

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation