[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving The smell of carved wood
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The smell of carved wood
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 08:53 am   Permalink

Kctiki, you have taken the first step to becoming an aprenyice woodcarver: slicing off any finger tip. Welcome to the world of wood carving. Now get a log and a knife or 2 and remove anything that does not look like a tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:57 pm   Permalink

Yes, our workshop always smells totally like redwood. It's funny some times of the year you can smell the wood more than other times. We've always got a small stack of redwood sitting there for our signs. I usually get it in 8 foot lengths and then slice it up as soon as we get it home so it is ready for the next batch of signs. I spend a lot of time in there - so I'm used to it now.

When we're busy I spend whole days at the scroll saw cutting out lettering and little tiki heads and stuff. It's fun, you just kind of zone out and the time just flies. I love our workshop!

The only bad things is after we paint the signs we have to seal them with a spray sealer, we do it outside, but then we bring the signs in to dry and it smells awfull!! But the smell is gone by the next morning.

Oh if anyone's interested, I use an RBI company scroll saw and you can see one on the web at:
http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/s/static/scroll_saw_one/scroll_saw_one.htm
No I have no connection with them at all! I ran across one of thier saws being demonstrated in 2001 at the L.A. County Fair and thought it was a really cool thing, well I ordered one just for fun - a month later it was 9/11 and a month after that I got laid off from my job at Disney after 21 years! Well, we kind of got into the sign business by accident, you know one thing evolved into another...

Anyway I've been using that saw since then for our business and I just love it. It can cut really teeny little detailed things and also big sign outlines. And it's very sturdy. Boy I should be in a commercial for them, I think it's that good.

Heavens to mergatroid, sorry about all the rambling....

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 12:36 am   Permalink

I just finished carving a Tiki in Meyer Lemon Wood. The tree it came from was in our yard and died from something lethal, probably a boring insect. Anyway the wood was a little hard to carve, but the color of the wood was a pale yellow. It still smelled of lemons, until I rubbed it with oil stain.
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation