[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » MAUI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
MAUI
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-18 3:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kuuipo and Rum Balls for your posts - the The Old Lahaina Luau is close (I'll be at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel) and Hanna Hou Cafe is most certainly on my list.

Home cooking and Hawaiian music? Sounds wonderful! Many, many thanks!

-Beatnikine

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 4:21 pm   Permalink

Have a blast! If you have time, you might also check on the status of the new rum company that's in the works. Here's the thread on that:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=9146&forum=10&7

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Balls on 2004-10-18 16:22 ]

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 5:08 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

Excellent comments! But where is the best place to watch the sunset?

I liked the Sheraton where one could imbibe Pina Coladas out of pineapples and watch the torch lighting and cliff diving ceremonies, but what would you recommend?
[/quote]

The Sheraton is also has the best reef to snorkel act, its listed as black rock on the diving maps I believe.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kuuipo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-18 6:22 pm   Permalink

The Ka'anaplai Beach Hotel is the most Hawai'ian hotel on Maui. In the lobby on some nights they give lectures on the humpback whales (native to the islands) and other cultural lectures. They also have lei making for the keikis and other arts & crafts on the weekends.
Also the Blue Plate cafe is on the front of the hotel, da local grinds - but on the terrace out by the pool area is the morning buffet - excellent food also. For just a few $$ more you can eat here - you get coupons (I think) for the Blue Plate cafe but you upgrade to the terrace. Enjoy the oversized chess set on the lawn - your kids will like this. The pool isn't the greatest, but grab a couple of chaises and move way out on the grass close to the sand area - You will love this hotel. They send you off with Koa Nut leis the morning you leave and if you return to Maui and stay there again they will add a white nut to show your return. Also there is a bar and stage show most nights out by the big Tiki. christiki295 and I stayed there a few years ago.

View Profile of kuuipo Send a personal message to kuuipo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kuuipo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-18 6:24 pm   Permalink

Oh yea - snorkling at Black Rock by the Sheraton - it is right next door and the beach hut is right by Black Rock - great place! A must do.

View Profile of kuuipo Send a personal message to kuuipo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-19 5:44 pm   Permalink

Kuuipo - many thanks; you not only relieved any of my worries about the hotel, you painted a picture that spells out utter beauty...Ka'anapali Beach Hotel... I'm not there, yet I already don't want to leave

BTW, I did not realize they gave lectures on the whales. Very cool!

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-18 06:33 am   Permalink

Hot tip for Maui from my experience -- snorkeling.
Drive past the Ritz-Carlton (NORTH end of the island, completely opposite from Hana) and you'll run into Honolua Bay which is the main go-to snorkeling bay. But, instead, immediately ahead of it you should snorkel Mokuleia Bay which is right next door and to the LEFT of Honolua Bay. It's much more vividly populated with colorful corals and colorful fish. And, seriously, in Honolua Bay, I found a car axle and differential, which could have been left over from WWII or something, lol... (It most likely has been removed by now...) What I did is START my snorkel adventure in Mokuleia Bay, swam along the right side, then when uncertain about currents around the point, got out and walked over the point and jumped into adjacent Honolua Bay. (I was snorkeling alone, so was unwilling to risk solo exposure to the open sea on the point, even though it's pretty well protected by reefs.) Then I explored the adjacent Honolua Bay and got out and walked up and along the road and then back to my car at Mokuleia Bay.

Honolua Bay is definitely picturesque, and lots of people take photos from the highway down into the bay. You may see pictures of it in magazines and wall calendars - it's that nice. So while you cannot get the same sort of view of Mokuleia Bay from any road, trust me, the snorkeling is what it's all about. Take your pics at Honolua, but enjoy the beauty underwater at Mokuleia Bay.

Here's the Google Earth link. You can zoom in and out of the area and see the two bays:

https://earth.google.com/web/@21.01338439,-156.64165992,-2.00772978a,632.23308542d,35y,-0h,0t,0r

Looks like the Chrome browser is required by Google now, so FYI if you don't have Chrome as an option on your device.

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2017-09-18 07:03 ]

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-18 09:44 am   Permalink

I am headed to Maui for a week on Friday and have been getting snorkeling tips this weekend so this is very timely info! And it's close to where we're going for Sunday brunch, too.
Thanks! I'll take any current Maui recommendations that anyone would like to offer!

Also, we're going to be spending a week on Ka'anapali Beach so if anyone knows where to buy orgeat, I will sing your praises forever. Seriously. We've gone the past two years and I have not been able to find any to save my life. Obviously it's got to be available SOMEWHERE on the island as it's in a ton of mai tais, but I have never been able to locate it in a shop.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-18 1:40 pm   Permalink

Hopechest, I don't know how picky you are but Bargreens restaurant supply in Wailuku supposedly has Trader Vics and Finest Call Orgeat and Costo has Torini Almond/Orgeat syrup. Both are up by the airport.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-19 12:57 pm   Permalink

If my past couple of trips are anything to go by, I apparently cannae afford to be picky!! I seriously hit up at least a dozen places with no luck.

I have no problem with buying a bottle of Trader Vic's orgeat, especially if my other choices are Finest Call and Torani. And we'll be killing several hours of time up in Kahului anyway (we're seeing a movie only a mile or two away from there) so we'll be right there anyway. Thanks SO much for the tip!!

Now to hope I can find some Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao - otherwise I'll try to get some Cointreau or Grand Marnier.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-05 2:55 pm   Permalink

Just back from a week in Maui. Good lord, do I love that place.

Cocktail Recap:

If you need ANYTHING to make cocktails whilst on the island, you need to make a stop at Tamura's Fine Wine & Liquors in Kahului (just a few blocks from Costco near the airport). Seriously. They had the best selection of everything and their prices were surprisingly more like mainland prices than Maui prices. I got a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao for $32, which is cheaper than all my locals! They had Trader Vic's orgeat which, while not the best, was the only bottle of orgeat that I saw the whole trip and definitely did the job. All in all, I went to at least 12-15 different grocery & liquor stores between the airport and West Maui areas and no one came close to their selection. Get your handles at Costco but get your bottles at Tamura's.

EVERYONE sells Trader Vic's, Old Lahaina, and Hana Bay dark & light rums for really cheap. Koloa is basically $30-40 everywhere you can find it, even Costco. Never did come across any bottles of Kohana, unfortunately.

For passion fruit syrup, coconut syrup, and loads of other local goodies stop by the Maui Aquarium gift shop. I wish we had done this on the way in versus on the way home cos I couldn't find passion fruit syrup anywhere else and the food section is just brilliant. They have Auntie Lilikoi's and Maui Upcountry's.

As usual, get your lemons and limes at Costco. It might take a bit of looking to find a really good bag but the alternative is 50 cents a lime and $1 a lemon (and up) everywhere else.

Milobee

Posted: 30 days ago; 2:40 pm   Permalink

Thank you HopeChest!

Your timing is amazing as we went a few years ago and are planning to go back next January. We found Tamura’s on our last trip, and was really impressed. However I couldn’t recall their name. As I recall they have Appleton 12 year, do you recall if they have Kirk & Sweeney, OFTD, and Goslings? Last time we went to Kauai I coordinated with the local bottle shop to get in some special bottles and it worked pretty well.

Good call on the Costco run as well.

View Profile of Milobee Send a personal message to Milobee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 09:36 am   Permalink

They definitely had Kirk & Sweeney, had no Plantation rums, and I am 99% sure that they had Gosling's. I had called them before our trip to see if they had a few things and they seemed pretty amenable to trying to hunt stuff down - it may behoove you to reach out to them a couple of weeks before your trip if there's something in particular that you really want whilst visiting. That should give them time to put your request in an order. Super nice folks.

Also: bring your own lime squeezer. Seriously. We went to 7 stores before we could find one (Safeway in Lahaina)!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation