FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki AM Radio (not _talk_, therefore not politics...)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
AM Radio (not _talk_, therefore not politics...)
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-26 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-26 18:01, Swanky wrote:It's a dying time. Listen while you can!

So true. I used to listen to an online feed of a Lubbock, TX AM station that played lots of old rock and country (and plenty of Buddy Holly). They had to stop the free feed because of FCC costs. Now they charge $10 a month for online listening.

http://www.kdav.com/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-26 6:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-26 18:14, Atomic Cocktail wrote:One problem with both stations is the high amount of what I like to call "Screeching Female Singers" they seem to frequently play.

I know what you mean. Diane Kraal makes my skin krawl!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-27 1:04 pm   Permalink

Denver's version can be found at AM 1430 - KEZW. Every evening at 7 they host "When Radio Was", an hour long show that rebroadcasts the radio serials (The Shadow, etc.) and lots of comedies.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2004-03-27 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:
there's one station that has a really fun "lunch w/ sinatra" show during the week.

The fabulous 570 here in LA does something similiar, at 5pm they play 5 sinatra songs.

In the morning (at 9am) they let the listeners e-mail a song list to the station that they play.

I should also add that they do play a fair amount of Dianna Kraal (is it "Costello" now?) and...Rod Stewert. Seems like they play him every 30 minutes.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 12:12 am   Permalink

here's a website you guys can check out www.radio-locator.com

In the Dallas area I listen to a great oldies station: KAAM 770am. WAY better than the 100 song rotation-station KLUV. Shoot, I can tell time by their songs. "OH KOKOMO IS ON! It must be 3:24."
KRVF 106.9FM is out of Kernes TX. I can pick them up, and right now they pretty much play non-stop oldies. Just a 5 min commecial break here and there. But it sounds like it's being piped from the internet.. it has that watery sound.

Other than that I listen to classic rock or KNON, they have a great TX Blues show and Lone Star Dead (Grateful Dead that is)

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 10:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-26 12:46, thejab wrote:
I generally hate typical oldies radio because they play the same 100 songs over and over ("Good Vibrations", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", "Stand By Me", etc.).

But, in San Diego in the late 80s and early 90s there was an amazing oldies station on AM. I can't remember the call letters or frequency, but they played anything from the fifties and early 60s if it was in the top 40. I heard so much 50s group vocal and R&B that I had never heard. It was the next best thing to the Huggie Boy show I remember hearing on AM at night in the early 80s (is Huggie Boy still on the air?). I sure wish we had a station like that here now.

Ws it Mighty 690?

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dave240

Posted: 2013-02-16 6:51 pm   Permalink

Here in San Antonio we have a station called KAHL call 1310. This station plays mostly standards and easy listening, something that KLUP used to play. Unlike KLUP this station plays few commercials. Ah yes those were the days. It's a shame KLUP is all talk.Music on am radio is not dead! KONO is on AM too! KKYX is still on am too!

View Profile of dave240 Send a personal message to dave240  Email dave240     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation