FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Got Beer?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Got Beer?
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 10:01 am   Permalink

I love beer, mostly European (German, Belgian, Irish, & English) but like an occasional Japanese or Mexican Beer with the right foods. My favorites for this season are anything brew from Unibroue Brewery.

Jab- If you dont like hops, definitely stay away from Stone Brews

Martiki - if you like Delirium Tremens, have you tried their noel Delirium?

But the beer i like the most is the ones i brew myself!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-03-30 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 10:01, Tiki Bird wrote:
I love beer, mostly European (German, Belgian, Irish, & English) but like an occasional Japanese or Mexican Beer with the right foods. My favorites for this season are anything brew from Unibroue Brewery.

Martiki - if you like Delirium Tremens, have you tried their noel Delirium?

Only the Tremens and the Nocturnum. I'll watch for noel come xmas time. I'm usually a sucker for any kind of Winter brew, unless it's from america and over hopped. (Please see Marin Brewing Company's "Hoppy Holidaze" as an example of a big mistake from a normally decent brewing company.) In fact, I've got a few of the wonderful Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome in the fridge now (hello clearance sale!) Anchor's Xmas beer is usually interesting- different top secret recipe every year.

True also that I enjoy Negra Modelo with a burrito or Singha with Thai food. I would never drink Singha out of that context, however. Well, if there was nothing else to drink, it would still be a lot better than sobriety.

And I can't say enough great things about Unibroue. Those canucks are masters of the art. Maudite & La Fin du Monde are outstanding, but Unibroue 10 and 11 are incredible as well. Buy 'em if you see 'em folks.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:30 am   Permalink

The Lost Weekend Lounge in Alameda has quite a few Belgian beers available (including a Unibroue), and Czeckvar on tap. Plus you can hear yours truly play music on Monday nights! It's at 2320 1/2 Santa Clara (just off Park).

(a blatant self promotion)

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:32 am   Permalink

Anyone tried Alaskan Smoked Porter?
There were a few bottles in my local supermarket, but at the equivalant of $5.50 per bottle, it seems rather pricey & perhaps not worth the risk. Instead I bought a couple of spring brews from the UK - Shepherd Neame 'Early Bird' & Bateman's 'Spring Breeze'.

Perhaps we could have a thread of beer reviews as there seem to be enough people here with adventurous tastebuds to warrant such a thread.

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-03-30 11:33 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 11:32, Trader Woody wrote:Perhaps we could have a thread of beer reviews as there seem to be enough people here with adventurous tastebuds to warrant such a thread.

Isn't that what this thread is about?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-03-30 11:32, Trader Woody wrote:
Anyone tried Alaskan Smoked Porter?
There were a few bottles in my local supermarket, but at the equivalant of $5.50 per bottle, it seems rather pricey & perhaps not worth the risk. Instead I bought a couple of spring brews from the UK - Shepherd Neame 'Early Bird' & Bateman's 'Spring Breeze'.

Perhaps we could have a thread of beer reviews as there seem to be enough people here with adventurous tastebuds to warrant such a thread.

Trader Woody

Woody, Alaskan Smoked Porter is great, but you have to like Smoked beers. Have you tried any German rauchbiers, or have an afinity for some of the smokier of the single malts? It's 1 of the best smoked/smoke-flavored beers in the world, it's won 11 medals @ the Great American Beer Festival (mostly Gold), a Bronze & a Silver @ the Brewing Industry International Awards in Burton-on-Trent, and 2 sivers & a gold medal at the World Beer Cup.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 3:48 pm   Permalink

Dr FF,

Well, you can't argue with that medal haul. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon!

Jab - Well, this thread seems mainly to be people talking about their favourite beers rather than actually reviewing them. Perhaps I should have elaborated on what I meant by a review. An actual review of a beer would consist of doing a tasting, then jotting down thoughts, however negative or positive they may be. You can't really do a proper review of a beer you tasted 6 months ago beacuase of all the factors involved - how much had you drunk already - had you just been eating spicy food - were you already in high spirits because of the people you were with, etc, etc.

So, ideally the review should be accompanied by a photo of the bottle and be written as the beer is being drunk, or as soon as possible after. Possibly the best reviews would be of beers people hadn't tried before, so reviews would be a lot more objective.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 15:48, Trader Woody wrote:
Jab - Well, this thread seems mainly to be people talking about their favourite beers rather than actually reviewing them. Perhaps I should have elaborated on what I meant by a review. An actual review of a beer would consist of doing a tasting, then jotting down thoughts, however negative or positive they may be. You can't really do a proper review of a beer you tasted 6 months ago beacuase of all the factors involved - how much had you drunk already - had you just been eating spicy food - were you already in high spirits because of the people you were with, etc, etc.

So, ideally the review should be accompanied by a photo of the bottle and be written as the beer is being drunk, or as soon as possible after. Possibly the best reviews would be of beers people hadn't tried before, so reviews would be a lot more objective.

In that case .... nevermind!

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:26 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-03-30 16:06, thejab wrote:
Quote:

[i]In that case .... nevermind!

It's really that difficult?

Trader Woody

thejab

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:31 pm   Permalink

I mean I think it's a good idea, Trader Woody, to have a real review topic, now that I know what you meant.

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:37 pm   Permalink

Oh, I thought you were having a go at me!

Cheers
Trader Woody

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation