FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Van Halen touring with Sammy Hagar? U gotta be kidding!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Van Halen touring with Sammy Hagar? U gotta be kidding!
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 10:33 pm   Permalink

Yeah it's true. Just doing a little friendly web surfing and stumbled upon this crazy information somehow. Back on the road this summer. For more info go to http://www.van-halen.com

Now, I know that some of you may be 'Van-Hagar' fans, but when Dave left the group I stopped following those guys, period. And I was a HUGE Van Halen fan back in the day. I got to see them twice with Dave; once in '81 and again in '84, and in the twenty or so years since then I have seen alot of live music and those two shows were some of the most powerful and loudest live rock experiences I have ever been a part of. I was too young to see Led Zeppelin in their heyday. Bonham died right before the '79 tour which I probably would've seen had he not. Van Halen was therefore, definitely, my Led Zeppelin (if that makes any sense). In fact I just caught a vintage Van Halen video on VH1 Classic yesterday which was a live clip from the '81 'Fair Warning' tour and I harkened back to those teenage wasteland days of yore...when guitar heros still roamed the earth, and Dave did those crazy spread eagle jumps off the drum riser effortlessly. Ah, I can smell the mixture of weed and stale Budweiser right now.

In a long line of guitarists dating back to the 60s, Eddie Van Halen is perhaps the last living guitar mega-legend, but that can...maybe...be debated.

Anyway it's a shame..because Dave's solo material has pretty much blown, and Van-Hagar is to music what Yoo-Hoo is to chocolate milk.

I saw Dave a summer or two ago on the 'Sam & Dave' tour and it was amazing. Back to back Van Halen tunes, the hits and the good 'deep cuts'. Awesome. Totally brought it all back to me from the 80s shows and how amazing those were. The night we saw 'Sam & Dave' Dave came one first...thank god. Then we high-tailed it outta there. No Sammy required here.

"I Can't Drive 55"...yeah, whatever dude.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-03-28 22:44 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-29 3:43 pm   Permalink

The thing Eddie never understood, or admitted, is that David was as much of Van Halen as he was, guitar legend or no.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-29 4:50 pm   Permalink

Preach it brother! They never regained that energy they had with Dave. They were a 'dirtier' band then. I'm not talkin' lyrical content either. They just had more of a dirty rock edge. Sammy Hagar is too much of a polished metal-rock guy.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiBud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-29 7:47 pm   Permalink

I'm with ya on the "Dave" thing. I just never got into "Van Hagar". If only Eddie could put his ego aside, just think of the coin they would have made on a world tour.

View Profile of TikiBud Send a personal message to TikiBud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:00 am   Permalink

I always thought it would be cool to have two sets, a Sammy set and a Dave set- they could alternate headlining each night. Then, yes, the thing would be the highest grossing tour in years.

Anyone catch Diamond Dave at the poker table on the Sopranos Sunday? Eek! Not sure I want to see him on stage anymore.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:36 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-03-29 19:47, TikiBud wrote:
If only Eddie could put his ego aside, just think of the coin they would have made on a world tour.

Its not only Eddie, but Alex.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-29 19:47, TikiBud wrote:
If only Eddie could put his ego aside, just think of the coin they would have made on a world tour.

I think they BOTH have an ego. Dave's ego is just as big as Eddie's!

But I digress. Dare I say, I like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar just as I like it with David Lee Roth? I do - Although in my opinion, they are two different bands. Their music evolved over time just as music in general evolves over a period of time. They were fortunate to find success with different vocalists - an accomplishment that many bands find challenging.

The Van Halen I hate? --- The one with Gary Sheron (sp?). Now THEY sucked.

Makes me wonder though, about the new tour they announced. With no new album or new music, they look like they're doing it just for the $$$$$.

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-30 11:57 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:42 am   Permalink

Oh and another thing ---

Realizing that these guys have played for almost 3 decades is beginning to age me. I vividly remember the day I heard 'Running with the Devil' for the first time on my buddies LP player. I was something like 9 years old.

There's not one guy in VH that's under 50. Sammy himself was born in 1947 -- that makes him almost 60!!!!

And these guys are young compared to the The Rolling Stones -- who must be something like 400 years old in combined age.

YIKES!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-30 14:23 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 12:11 pm   Permalink

Not to split hairs here, but of the original VH, Alex Van Halen is a coupla years over 50. Dave, Eddie, and Michael will all be turning the big 5-0 next year. Jeez....life is short.

I got my first Van Halen LP in '79 which was Van Halen II. According to my calculator here that would make all the dudes in the band just in their middle 20s. Doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. Glad I saw them when I did. They were younger then, than I am now! Frig! Funny thing is I still feel now like I did then.

On another VH note: Somewhere a few years ago somebody I was talking to suggested that Eddie do his own album, just like Jeff Beck, Satriani, Malmsteen and all those other guitarist have. I think that if Eddie did embark on a solo project it could be pretty interesting, then again it could REALLY suck.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-03-30 12:16 ]

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 12:11, donhonyc wrote:
Not to split hairs here, but of the original VH, Alex Van Halen is a coupla years over 50. Dave, Eddie, and Michael will all be turning the big 5-0 next year.

You're right about Eddie, he will be 50 next year but Michael will be 50 in 3 months (this is according to
the link you provided above).

But really, my point was about how fast time flys.

Today's Boy-band is tomorrow's has-been yearning for a reunion, a second chance at their career or God forbid, a regular gig in Vegas.

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-30 14:32 ]

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-03-30 3:23 pm   Permalink

Diamond Dave DID have a regular gig in Vegas for a while there.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:03 pm   Permalink

Dave is entering Keith Richards territory on looks. He looked real bad on the Soporanos, the rock road has definitley worn on him.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiBud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 12:11, donhonyc wrote:
I got my first Van Halen LP in '79 which was Van Halen II. According to my calculator here that would make all the dudes in the band just in their middle 20s. Doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. Glad I saw them when I did. They were younger then, than I am now! Frig! Funny thing is I still feel now like I did then.

It seems like only yesterday I was buying a baseball style Van Halen concert shirt out at the Hollywood Sportatorium. Jeez, I am getting old.

View Profile of TikiBud Send a personal message to TikiBud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 7:09 pm   Permalink

Yo Tikibud!

Which Sportatorium shows were you at? I saw both my VH shows there!

TikiBud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 7:45 pm   Permalink

1984 is the only year I saw them at the Sportitorium. I also saw them at the Palm Beach Auditorium(?) in '79 or '80.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation