FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » "Worst Tiki Mug Ever!!!" -Comicbook Guy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
"Worst Tiki Mug Ever!!!" -Comicbook Guy
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-19 1:09 pm   Permalink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2130681645

Well it is a mug. There is a Tiki.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-19 1:20 pm   Permalink

I just saw this "mug" (and a lot of other mugs) in a 50s/modern store on San Pablo in Oakland. Anybody been there? Sorry, don't know the name of the place, but they are around about 30th Ave. There were probably about 15 different mugs there.

I'm no mug-ologist so I don't know a collectible from a disposable (but I'd guess the Sea World cup is the latter). Worth a look if you're in the area. Prices seemed kind of high, but again, I'm no expert.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Goddess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-19 2:23 pm   Permalink

Yucky-poo. Pretty awful! Don't think I'd even take one of those free!

View Profile of Tiki Goddess Send a personal message to Tiki Goddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-19 3:07 pm   Permalink

C'mon...it has a certain charm. I almost bought one of these at a swap meet. I guess the emphasis here is on "almost."

You can't really call yourself a completist though, unless you have one of these babies! Ha! Ha! Ha!

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-19 6:35 pm   Permalink

Well, call me a completest. That must be my excuse. I did get one of those as a gift AND I do have it on the shelf AND I think it's great!(Well, at least in the context of the whole room vibe). Semi-unapologetically-

-Weird Uncle Tiki

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-19 6:58 pm   Permalink

Living in San Diego, Sea World Memorabilia is of interest to me. They probably sold a million of those mugs. I've seen quite a few on Ebay. I need one. I'll only buy one if I find it at a garage sale or thrift store for under a dollar.
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiluvgirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-19 7:19 pm   Permalink

Hey..I kinda like that mug...I'd pick it up for a buck or less...Like you said it is a mug and there is a tiki!

View Profile of tikiluvgirl Send a personal message to tikiluvgirl  Email tikiluvgirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 01:21 am   Permalink

I have one. I found it at a thrift store for 50 cents. And if I found another one for 50 cents...I'd buy it.

Erich Troudt

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pambot

Posted: 2002-08-20 10:42 am   Permalink

I have two of those! Maybe I'll throw one on ebay....

--pamela (tiki newbie)

View Profile of pambot Send a personal message to pambot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 5:02 pm   Permalink

Ok, that is definitely a low-rent Tiki mug. However, my vote for UGLIEST mug in existence (commercially made)....

Kon-Tiki Ports Sheraton.

Mine is from Boston, others wree from Hawaii. Made by Daga, earlier ones like mine by Crane Associates. It is without a doubt, hands down, no argument, all-time gruesome. It's a cross between a rancid clam and some medical school visual aid.

I have to sneak up on mine. I swear, but cannot prove it empirically, that the mugs around this beast actually move away from it. The distance is barely perceptible, but they're trying to escape. Listen close, you can hear their screams.

It's looking at me now. I'd better stop.

midnite

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snarkoutgirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-20 5:20 pm   Permalink

Can you post a picture of this monstrosity? Or will it break the camera?

View Profile of snarkoutgirl Send a personal message to snarkoutgirl  Email snarkoutgirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 8:43 pm   Permalink

Ok, but I warned you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2128602350

The Horror...
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 9:09 pm   Permalink

I think it looks like one of those super-close ups of a praying mantis about to devour its mate. <<shudder>> scary... I have to keep mine isolated from my other mugs, with a "PRIMO Hawaiian Beer" warrior mug on either side to guard it, just in case it tries to escape and decapitate the others...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 9:31 pm   Permalink

That is spooky. Kinda got that predator look to it. or something from a Clive Barker movie

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2002-08-20 21:32 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-21 08:59 am   Permalink

Back in the old Yahoo days I posted about that Sheraton mug. I'd just picked one up for 5O cents and thought it had to be the ugliest Tiki mug out there. I directed folks to an online picture of the mug that was at a vintage shop's website. The next day I got an e-mail from the shop. I thought they were going to tsk-tsk me but instead they thanked me as someone from Tiki Central read my post and bought the mug. I still think the mug has a face only a drunk mother could love.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation