FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Beer Review Thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Beer Review Thread
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 11:40 am   Permalink

Since Trader Woody brought it up...

I thought i would start with Guinness, the pride of Ireland. My favorite goto beer, good cold but better in room temp. Also a great red ale from Ireland is Smithwick's which Guinness has bought & is now destributing in U.S. markets.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-03-30 11:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-03-30 11:49 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vwtikigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 12:32 pm   Permalink

I love fat tire and Kiltlifter when I venture out to beer.

View Profile of vwtikigirl Send a personal message to vwtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-30 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 12:32, vwtikigirl wrote:
I love ... Kiltlifter when I venture out to beer.

Does it have an affect on you?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vwtikigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 1:11 pm   Permalink

theJab - we haven't lifted our kilts so far, if that's what your implying, but we do call it truth serum. Everytime we sit in a group and drink a pitcher or two we find out way too much information from everyone! The stuff will really know you on your ass.

View Profile of vwtikigirl Send a personal message to vwtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 1:43 pm   Permalink

Guiness is a good choice, but only on draft and poured properly.

My favorite bottled beer is Newcastle Brown Ale.....goes down easy and get's you flying quick!

Matt

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:02 pm   Permalink

Newcastle is my beer of choice at Viva las Vegas. And Guiness in the special widget bottles - I know it's better on tap, but there aren't many beers to choose from at the event.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:07 pm   Permalink

Guinness, at room temp.

or

Watneys' Cream Stout (currently without US dist.)

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:13 pm   Permalink

heinekin?

#!@* that $#!%, pabst blue ribbon!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 14:13, Johnny Dollar wrote:
heinekin?

#!@* that $#!%, pabst blue ribbon!

Words from the immortal Frank Booth.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:27 pm   Permalink

Best by far is a Belgian beer named Duvel (devil)!!

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 14:27, Jax Tiki wrote:

Jax, if you like Duvel (1 of my favorite beers & a favorite of beer experts everywhere), try Stone's Arrogant Bastard or Unibroue's Maudite. Both're very reminiscent of the Belgian Golden Ale style.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 3:05 pm   Permalink

As a decorated veteran of Oktoberfest:Munchen, I'm enjoined to shout PAULANER from the alpen heights.

Doesn't translate well without the music, maidens and mugs... and then crammed into a little, tiny, puny Amerikan bottle... but still my favorite.

Molson (not Ice) when I'm thirsty.

Seattle has great unfiltered microbrews while Tampa has rancid swill sloshing out of Busch Gardens. Hooray for us.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 4:17 pm   Permalink

I've just tried out a beer I've not had before called 'Early Bird' by Shepherd Neame, Britain's oldest brewer (1698). It's a Spring Ale, only available for a few months and packs a fair whallop for such a pale ale.

There's an incredible hoppiness to it eveident as soon as the the beer is poured. It took me straight back to my dad's attepts at home brewing. There is more depth to it than expected, and isn't too dried by the hops. There's the expected freshness to it, but perhaps it might go down better as a summer brew once the weather starts to get hot and the hops refresh the palate.

I'd give it 6 out of 10.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 6:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 14:45, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-03-30 14:27, Jax Tiki wrote:

Jax, if you like Duvel (1 of my favorite beers & a favorite of beer experts everywhere), try Stone's Arrogant Bastard or Unibroue's Maudite. Both're very reminiscent of the Belgian Golden Ale style.

Mr./Ms. Moderator:

Why was my comment stricken from this thread? I don't understand...I was discussing my favorite Belgian beer named Duvel...and whammo... stricken from public records.

Really is one of the great beers of the world.

Freddie...thanks for the heads-up on the other brews...I'll definitely give them a try!

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-03-31 7:04 pm   Permalink

Jax- not sure what you mean- I certainly didn’t do anything. Your post looks the same to me. I’m not sure what was cut.

I'll take a minute to talk about some of my favorite UK brews. First, the good people at Fuller's make some beautiful beer. 1845 is readily available here in the US and is a delicious bottle conditioned ale. They also have a superb Vintage Ale which gets an annual release. Always buy two of those and let one age a while. I've had 1999 and 2000, and 2001 is calling out to me from the cellar (well, under the bed). Of course, they all taste better when their served from well kept casks in their native land. For martiki's idea of heaven, visit The Dove in Chiswick, just down the river from the brewery, grab a pint of perfectly kept London Pride or ESB and sit on the deck along the Thames.

Also the two breweries of Masham in the north make beautiful beers, even if they seem to be at some kind of war. Theakston’s Old Peculiar is an amazingly complex brew. And right across town, Black Sheep Brewery makes the wonderful Riggwelter. Both now available in the US! Touring both the breweries one day made for a wonderful afternoon.

Another great brewery both for product and a visit is Samuel Smith’s in Tadcaster. Plus, drinking their beer anywhere near their brewery is not only delicious, but extremely affordable.

I enjoy the Shepherd Neame beers as well- we can get some here. So many wonderful regional beers that I wish I could remember as well- just wandering around with a CAMRA guide through the country, you stumble upon so much character and variety.

I am getting so thirsty. Yesterday I had to get an Anchor at lunch just from thinking about it too much.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation