FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Beer Review Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Beer Review Thread
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 7:20 pm   Permalink

You guys are makin me thirsty too. Think Ill go have an Ice cold O'Duels, or maybe a Sharps instead.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-01 12:04 am   Permalink

Quote:
And Guiness in the special widget bottles

Couldn't agree more. Guinness at home and guinness out on the town. If no guinness is to be had (and that is a real bummer) then it's usually Bass Ale all the way.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 12:12 am   Permalink

Afflegem Noel blend is by far the smoothest and sneakest asskicker I've encountered.

And HoeGaarten is the best beer on a 95+ degree, 95+ humidity summer day, with a slice of lemon...

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 09:38 am   Permalink

I like the quality of Widmer Brothers beers and ales. Drop Top Amber Ale is my current fave.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 1:29 pm   Permalink

Martiki...disregard my comment on being stricken from the string. I was looking at the other Beer string running at the same time.

Thanks

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 4:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-31 19:04, martiki wrote:
Also the two breweries of Masham in the north make beautiful beers, even if they seem to be at some kind of war. Theakston’s Old Peculiar is an amazingly complex brew. And right across town, Black Sheep Brewery makes the wonderful Riggwelter. Both now available in the US! Touring both the breweries one day made for a wonderful afternoon.

Ah, my old boss was telling me about the 'war' between these two breweries just a few weeks ago. One of the members of the Theakston's brewing family got so pissed off with the way things were being run that he went off and opened up a rival. I hadn't realised they were both based in the same town! I've moved up to Lancashire, which isn't too far away from Masham, so I'll have to take the brewery trips sometime. Both Theakstons & Black Sheep feature strongly in pubs across the border in Yorkshire, and both brew fine beers.

Having a new area to explore has meant a completely new set of brewers supplying the ales. My nearest are based in Blackburn - Thwaites & Three Bees. Thwaites brews rather ordinary bitter, but their Lancaster Bomber (4.4%) is a fine, rich beer. On the other hand, I had a pint of '3B's Stokers Slake' yesterday, a very dark mild and it was so bad that I took it back, thing it might be off. The landlord tasted it and pronounced 'that was the way it should taste'. I couldn't finish it, so it really was one of the worst pints I've ever had. Luckily the pub next door did Tetley Bitter & John Smiths at the equivalant of $1.80 a pint. Both from large brewers, but are dependable session ales.

Anyway Martiki, your idea of exploring the UK using a CAMRA guide to lead you to new areas is a damn fine one!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 5:09 pm   Permalink

I'm finding that people are looking at me funny when I mention Canadian beers. I'll try to talk about things that are available in the US. There is so much crap available in grocery stores, and so many micro brewed beers that need to be discovered.

I love this thread, it gives those that rely on their every day beer an excuse to get out there and try something new!

There's a great US company called Winthrop Brewing Co.,
http://www.webspinnings.com/winthrop/ they make some nice beers.

Elizabeer Russian Imperial Stout brewed by Jackie Whittle from Anacortes Brewhouse in Washington state is a good one. She's a former brewer at Mad River in Blue Lake, Calif. She also makes a good Scottish Ale and Island Hopper IPA.

One thing to understand is that a hoppy flavour or aroma isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some people LOVE hoppy beers. I personally don't. My fiancé just made his first IPA and Oatmeal stouts from scratch, I didn't care for either of them since they are quite strong and hoppy, but that's what he likes.

I agree that CAMRA (The Campaign for Real Ale) is a fantastic place to find great beers. I belong to the Victoria chapter, they also organize the annual beer festival. One of the main reasons I joined was so that I could actually attend the festival, since tickets sell out more than a month before the event.

Thanks for posting your favorites and reviews, I think I'll try something new tonight myself!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-01 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-01 17:09, Tikiwahine wrote:
Elizabeer Russian Imperial Stout brewed by Jackie Whittle from Anacortes Brewhouse in Washington state is a good one. She's a former brewer at Mad River in Blue Lake, Calif.

I love Mad River Brewing Co.'s Steelhead Ale. It's my favorite American ale, along with Anchor Steam. I went to Humboldt State University in the 80s and met Bob Smith, the guy who started Mad River, at a party. He used to bring his homebrew to many of the parties in and around Arcata.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-01 17:25, thejab wrote:
I love Mad River Brewing Co.'s Steelhead Ale. It's my favorite American ale, along with Anchor Steam. I went to Humboldt State University in the 80s and met Bob Smith, the guy who started Mad River, at a party. He used to bring his homebrew to many of the parties in and around Arcata.

Very cool!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 10:36 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-04-01 17:09, Tikiwahine wrote:
I agree that CAMRA (The Campaign for Real Ale) is a fantastic place to find great beers. I belong to the Victoria chapter, they also organize the annual beer festival. One of the main reasons I joined was so that I could actually attend the festival, since tickets sell out more than a month before the event.

Tikiwahini, Real Ale's exist in the US, too, although there's no real CAMRA here. The Chicago Real Ale Festival is an incredible fest (although I heard that this year they couldn't hold it as a real festival, it was sort of a Real Ale pub crawl all around Northern Illinois due to problems with licenses).

If you have any plans to be down in Hoity-Toity Land in Mid June, the 7th Annual San Diego Real Ale Festival is the 11th & 12th @ the
Pizza Port, Carlsbad:

The 7th Annual San Diego REAL ALE FESTIVAL

WHEN: Fri & Sat, June 11th & 12th, 2004!. Starting at 4 pm on Fri and 11 am on Saturday until closing both days!
WHERE: Adjacent to Pizza Port Carlsbad located at 571 Carlsbad Village Dr just 1/2 mile West of I-5.
WHAT: The second largest collection of Real Ale on the west coast this year, featuring over 50 Firkins of cask conditioned ale served in the English tradition!
HOW MUCH: $20 to get in which includes a commemorative logo pint glass and 8 taster tickets. Only $1 for each additional 5 ounce taste once you’re inside the festival!

The great news this year is that we have twice as much beer coming for each style. This means that you can enjoy yourself without stressing out that a beer may be gone before you get here Friday...........Cheers!

Please bring a designated driver or cab it------you'll need one!

I went last year & needed a designated driver to find the car afterwards! Good beer, good size tasters, good food, beautiful weather, but they need better parking.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-02 10:53 am   Permalink

That festival sounds great, Freddie. Doubt I can make it, sadly. Last real ale fest I went to was a CAMRA one in Battersea eight years ago. too long!

We have a huge San Francisco International Beer Festival each year. It's a flat $30 ticket for all you can eat and drink. I met the brewmaster of Fuller's there about two years ago. Great wide and diverse selection of beer. Sadly, it's been totally overrun by jackasses who get staggeringly drunk and obnoxious, so it's no longer worth the trouble.

Much much more wonderful is the annual Barleywine Festival at the Toronado pub. This year, there were over 80 varieties. Packet to the rafters all week long, but packed with enthusiasts, so it's great.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 12:05 pm   Permalink

Barley wine, talk about stong beer! Tis the season for beer festivals, I'll be attending the Southern Ca. Home Brew fest in on 4/1/04 at Lake Skinner in Ca. Got to come up with a IPA recipe to brew this Saturday for the fest.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 2:38 pm   Permalink

Tiki Bird, there's a Barleywine Festival from the 19th to the 24th of April @ Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena. The feature is 6 years of Bigfoot Barleywine on tap!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 4:28 pm   Permalink

My favorite all-timedrinking beer is Straffe Hendrik. Unfortunately they don't ship much of it out of Belgium. So my go to beers are Fosters, Bass, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, & Heineken. But I will drink almost any beer if it's not Canadian. (Don't mean to offend.)

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 5:11 pm   Permalink

heck, my least favorite beers are Molson Canadian and Kokanee! I have to admit though, that's quite a blanket statement. I think the problem is that none of the good beers are exported. The same goes for the U.S., all we get up here is the American type of Budweiser.

But "I" know there's all sorts of great stuff lurking down there!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-04-02 17:16 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation