FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Beer Review Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Beer Review Thread
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 5:19 pm   Permalink

I really like Hoeaarden, a nice light wheat beer. Very refreshing. I've got three of their HUGE glasses at home, they're perfect for the big homebrew bottles.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-02 5:23 pm   Permalink

I think this has been said before here, but here goes again.

Canadian beer = skunky

And,
green bottle = usually skunky

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 5:27 pm   Permalink

ok, I'm sorry, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 6:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 17:19, Tikiwahine wrote:
I really like Hoeaarden, a nice light wheat beer. Very refreshing. I've got three of their HUGE glasses at home

Hoegaarden really is a classic beer that goes down incredibly well, particularly in hot weather. It seems pretty easy to serve it badly, though. Be aware of it looking amber/light brown as that means it's old and past it's peak. It really should look pretty much yellow/straw coloured when fresh.

Those pint mugs they do are pretty incredible as even the half-pint mugs look formidable. You probably don't get the little line etched into them near the top of the galss, showing the imperial pint measure, like we do in the UK. If you do, you'll realise how much extra beer they put in if they fill it to the brim.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 6:27 pm   Permalink

Ahhh, thanks for the tip Trader Woody! I know they have a few other varieties (speciale, forbidden fruit and Grand Cru) but I've never seen them. Now I know to make sure the colour is good before purchasing. I believe my glasses do have the imperial pint marking, I'm going to double check when I get home. They are HUGE!

My last name is Whitbread, and I am relative of Samuel Whitbread that started the company, but I've never tried one! Now that they're made by Interbrew, I wonder if it still tastes the same? Can you tell me if I'm missing anything? We can buy Whitbread yeast here, just found out about that. I might try something with it.

By the way, I WAS going to bring a bunch of my homebrew, like the extra banana hefeweizen with me on my next US road trip, but if people really hate canadian beer, then maybe I should just leave them at home Come on, free beer? Just try it? Just this once?

Great Minds Drink Alike

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 17:23, thejab wrote:

Canadian beer = skunky

And,

In total agreement here jab. No offense to our Canadian ohana, but I'm hard pressed to remember a Canadian beer that I really liked (not just tolerated, but LIKED). The "greeen bottle stigma" has gotten so bad...I even avoid green beer on Saint Patrick's Day (well, at least until I've had a few whiskeys)! Of course this might just be some kind of ingrained thinking that "Green" infers not yet ripe or ready for consumption. Hey jab, remember the days when we (I'm assuming you did this too) used to hit up the Mayfair on Robinson in Hillcrest for a 99 cent six-pack of generic beer that was a white can with the word "BEER" on it in blue letters? I often wonder how that would taste right now and think...WHERE'S THAT BEER BONG?

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 8:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Canadian beer = skunky

And,

No offence taken, to be sure. But I do find it interesting that many of my friends find U.S. beer undrinkable...often likened to water. I have had a few great U.S. beers (Sam Adams comes to mind).
I often find beers that people might classify as "skunky" to be more aromatic and therefore more appealing to me. One of my faves is Moosehead...it's Canadian and in a green bottle!

Perhaps it's the big names in Canadian Beer that have ruined it for you. I seldomly drink Molson's or Labatt's beer.

A general rule that works for me: If it's micro-brewed, it's better than the huge commercial breweries.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 12:05 am   Permalink

Slacks, in all fairness I apologize for putting down Canadian beer when all I have to go by is the popular brands I can buy at my local convenience store. By the same token I don't like most American beers either. When I go out beer shopping nowadays, I usually wind up buying German beer (Bittburger, Spaten), Mexican beer (Tecate, Negra Modello), microbrew (Stone, Anchor Steam) or the thick Irish stuff.

Wait a minute...I just went to my fridge to grab a beer & all I found was a can of Sapporo - JAP BEER!!! but the good news is the can says (if cans could talk) "Brewed and canned by Sapporo Brewing Co., Guelph Ontario, Canada.

Well, I guess I'm totally fulla shit, so completely disregard my previous comments.
MMMMMMMM - this is gooood beer!

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-04-03 02:54 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 08:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

Seattle has great unfiltered microbrews while Tampa has rancid swill sloshing out of Busch Gardens. Hooray for us.

I visited Busch Gardens 19 years ago and we had to drink the Michelob (sp?) Dark to even get close to the same taste as our Bud out here on the west coast. Was the water really THAT bad in Florida back then? Although, the alchy % was higher out there compared to here at the time. The people I was with at the time were originaly from Fl. and knew the hopitality house peolpe at Bucsh Gardens so we sat there all day comsuming then went on rides and the animal tram totally blasted.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-04-03 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 18:55, Shipwreckjoey wrote:Hey jab, remember the days when we (I'm assuming you did this too) used to hit up the Mayfair on Robinson in Hillcrest for a 99 cent six-pack of generic beer that was a white can with the word "BEER" on it in blue letters?

Oh yeah, I went through the cheap beer phase. Generic beer, large bottles of Malt Liquor, Shaefer, Old Milwaukee, Black Label. My favorite was Lucky in stubby bottles with puzzles on the inside of the cap! But I never could stand Meister Brau.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 5:24 pm   Permalink

<<<Was the water really THAT bad in Florida back then? >>>

It was a pleasant blend of sulpher and salt back int he day. Now it's chock full of Vitamin C - Chlorine!

<<<...so we sat there all day comsuming then went on rides and the animal tram totally blasted. >>>

It's the only way to deal with the taste.

BTW - a very drinkable beer with food is Moretti.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 9:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 17:23, thejab wrote:

Canadian beer = skunky

And,

Jab, there're plenty of good & even great Canadian beers, you just have to go beyond the standard choices. Try anything from Unibroue, look for Cock-o-the-Rock or Propeller ESB. If you have to drink the cheap-o brands, look for sealed 12 packs (no light, no light-struck/skunky beer). I miss the old brown stubbies...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 10:50 pm   Permalink

I'm currently enjoying a Stone IPA. It's deep straw to pale amber in color with a nice rocky head. It's an American IPA, so you have hops from the nose through the finish, grapefruit/citrus & piney flavors predominate. Malt flavors & alcohol try to ballance it out, giving their all & failing spectacularly!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-04-04 03:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-03 21:30, freddiefreelance wrote:Jab, there're plenty of good & even great Canadian beers, you just have to go beyond the standard choices.

Sorry if I offended any of my Canadian friends. It's just that one doesn't find a great selection of Canadian beers in the U.S., and that's a shame. I have tried a Unibroue and it was a good beer. I did not know it was Canadian.

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-03 22:50, freddiefreelance wrote:
I'm currently enjoying a Stone IPA.

freddie, you must live close enough to the Stone brewery to drive over & pour yourself a glass straight from the tap. They're in San Marcos, right? The Stone IPA is good, so's the Arrogant Bastard Ale. They have one brew they only put out at Xmas time(don't remember the name) that's so strong I think it causes amnesia.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation