[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food missionarys downfall help needed
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
missionarys downfall help needed
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 10:55 pm   Permalink

I have been working on perfecting this drink after re-discovering it at the tiki-ti,and I need some help.How do you mix yours?

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-03-31 09:04 am   Permalink

TwoWheel,

What's the recipe your currently "perfecting"?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 10:26 am   Permalink

This is the recipe I published in TRT; TheJab gave me some help with it:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2oz honey
1/2 oz peach liquer
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
2 oz pineapple juice

pour over cracked ice, add fresh mint leaves.

Experiment with using a bit less PJ and a bit less honey.

...far from the strongest drink in the recipe book, but a sweet and tasty one for the wahines or the lightweights out there!
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-02 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-31 10:26, tikibars wrote:
This is the recipe I published in TRT; TheJab gave me some help with it:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2oz honey
1/2 oz peach liquer
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
2 oz pineapple juice

pour over cracked ice, add fresh mint leaves.

For those who are more interested in a missionary's downfall that makes one fall down, I modified the recipe as such to good results:

1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. honey (honey syrup mixes easier if you have any)
1/2 oz. peach liqueur (the stronger 30-35% abv stuff)
1 oz. overproof white rum
1 oz. pineapple juice

Shake and strain into a glass full of cracked ice, garnish with mint leaves.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 5:48 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried the Missionary's Downfall recipe from the Grog Log? If you follow it exactly it turns out terrible. I don't remember the recipe I came up with (I'll post it when I dig it out) but I muddled mint leaves in it. It was tasty.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 6:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-02 17:48, finkdaddy wrote:
Has anyone tried the Missionary's Downfall recipe from the Grog Log? If you follow it exactly it turns out terrible.

AMEN!

I hope you booze scholars can come up with an nice variation of the Grog Log recipe that we can all enjoy. I'm still picking half chewed mint flakes out of my teeth months after making a Grog Log MD.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-02 18:23, Kono wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-08-02 17:48, finkdaddy wrote:
Has anyone tried the Missionary's Downfall recipe from the Grog Log? If you follow it exactly it turns out terrible.

AMEN!

I hope you booze scholars can come up with an nice variation of the Grog Log recipe that we can all enjoy. I'm still picking half chewed mint flakes out of my teeth months after making a Grog Log MD.

I do have one. I will post it tommorow. I muddled some mint and added some pineapple juice and I think I added some other minor changes. I like the idea of adding some honey. I will have to test it out!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-01 09:50 am   Permalink

I had one yesterday at the TikiRoom in Stockholm where i live. It was really nice and fresh tasting made with Havana Club,pineapple and limejuices,mint and Peach Brandy. Made in mixer so the mint is transformed to those lovley little green dots.

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-03-01 09:52 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 08:39 am   Permalink

I like to make quadruple batches of the recipe I used above, seal it in a glass bottle (no ice, natch), and let it steep for a few days before drinking. The mint infusion really permeates the drink, and the other ingredients lock together brilliantly.

Oh, and BTW, Kono asked (um, several years ago) if anyone had a better recipe than Jeff Berry's... at the risk of being both obvious and redundant, I'd like to ask him to try the one that I posted a few posts above his comment. Berry's does have WAY too much lime in it, and subbing the honey for the sugar syrup that Berry calls for makes a world of difference.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Xray man

Posted: 2008-04-16 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-01 09:50, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:
I had one yesterday at the TikiRoom in Stockholm where i live. It was really nice and fresh tasting made with Havana Club,pineapple and limejuices,mint and Peach Brandy. Made in mixer so the mint is transformed to those lovley little green dots.

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-03-01 09:52 ]

I must say the ones at Tiki Ti is much better. I really would like their recipe. I think that the one at TikiRoom is the one from Grog Log.

View Profile of Xray man Send a personal message to Xray man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-16 6:04 pm   Permalink

Isn't it just a matter of blending time? When it says blend in the Grog Log it means blend for a looong time, I think. Or blend until slushy...

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 2:18 pm   Permalink

Have never had the chance to visit Tiki Ti...so i cannot compare..

But i didn`t need to pick any mint from between my teeths..i believe the one i had was blended for a long time because it was really nice.

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-04-17 14:21 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Xray man

Posted: 2008-05-07 09:10 am   Permalink

The Missionarys Downfall at Tiki ti is not blended at al. I think they use dark rhum and maby I tasted wanilla.

View Profile of Xray man Send a personal message to Xray man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 10:29 am   Permalink

Whoa, those recipes are completly different from what you get at the Tiki Ti. I do not know exactly what is in a Missionary's Downfall at the Tiki Ti, but I can tell you it is very similar to a mojito. It deviates in that they use lemons AND lime juice and dark rum. I think they also put curacao or triple sec.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-16 18:04, LeChuck wrote:
Isn't it just a matter of blending time? When it says blend in the Grog Log it means blend for a looong time, I think. Or blend until slushy...

Some more detailed tips...

First, microwave the honey for a few seconds to soften it up and make it more runny and liquid.

Blend the ingredients WITHOUT ice until the honey is sufficiently integrated and the mint leaves are chopped up really finely.

THEN, do a quick second blend with crushed ice.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation