[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Gene Rains-exotica musician- info wanted
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Gene Rains-exotica musician- info wanted
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 09:49 am   Permalink

I have 3 Gene Rains LPs and I love them! can anyone shed light on this guy? I mean, you can't get much from the liner notes. Heck, there isn't even a copyright year on any of the LPs. I did see where a guy named Paul Conrad was his piano player. Is this the same Paul Conrad who did the "Exotic Paradise" LP? (the one with the tucan on the cover)

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-31 09:49, mriddle wrote:
Is this the same Paul Conrad who did the "Exotic Paradise" LP? (the one with the tucan on the cover)

Is this the same Paul Conrad who was the political cartoonist for the Los Angeles Times? He's an accomplished pianist.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 2:37 pm   Permalink

The first Rains LP "Lotus Land" lists Paul Conrad as the Piano player. I can't say for sure, but I doubt its the same guy.

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 11:30 am   Permalink

How about the release years. The LPs don't have a year on them at all. Does anyone know when they were released? Is GR still alive?

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-01 5:02 pm   Permalink

I found a pristine copy of Gene Rains' "Lotus Land" this weekend! Ahh, what a great album!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-07 4:34 pm   Permalink

Johntiki,
Yes, I must say that Lotus Land and Rains in the Tropics are 2 of my top favorite exotica LPs!

kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-07 10:06 pm   Permalink

so can someone help me total Gene R's publications and don't tell me that there are only 3 please because the man is an amazing talent...i have lotus land (decca) another disc on vocalion..."call of the tropics"...and there is another disc on decca i think it's called "far across the sea"...this last one i don't have...but i will when it shows up on ebay again...

is THAT it? man i hate filling out a newly discovered artist's discography...

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-07 10:39 pm   Permalink

This site lists only 4 LPs.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-07 11:59 pm   Permalink

interesting to me that there are NO publications of mr gene rains on CD today...how lame is that...guys like us that play records like these for the right people make the repressings of yesterday's magic happen today in a new format...thanky swanky from the bottom of my ears...i'll be on the look out for the other 2 known LPs on decca...and as soon as i can encode them i'll share them...

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-07 22:39, Swanky wrote:
This site lists only 4 LPs.

I found a 5th LP listed on that site:
Axel Stordahl
& Gene Rains: The Magic Islands Revisited; Decca DL-79096

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 09:20 am   Permalink

The Stordahl & Rains LP is a new one to me. I guess I've got a new title to search for now. As far as I have been able to find, there are NO Gene Rains albums on CD. But here are the titles

"Lotus Land" (I think is first recording)
"Far Across The Sea"
"Rains in the Tropics"
"Call of the Tropics" (greatest hits of songs on the first 3 LPs)
"Magic Islands Revisited" (w/ Alex Stordahl)

as far as I know, that's it!

kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:34 am   Permalink

if only we had a cover image for the 5th newly uncovered LP we'd be able to uncover an existing copy faster i am sure...so many LPs to flip through and so VERY LITTLE time with which to flip...(sigh)

glad to hear that there is another LP by this man!!!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:46 am   Permalink

I have that Axel Stordahl LP, lemme see if there is a Gene Rains credit...

YEp, there it is! I never noticed, and this is one of my favorite records! It's on the Hukilau site and on my latest CD heavily! I'll be...

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2004-06-08 10:47 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:51 pm   Permalink

Would Martin Denny know anything about this guy? I'm sure what with them in the same musical line of business that it might be a delicate issue to bring up, but it would be cool to fill in the blanks on this artist.

As I recall, Alfred Apaka is credited with "discovering" Gene Rains. Any of Apaka's session men still alive? Relatives?

You Hawaiian TCer's, you stand on the edge of what I stood on 4 years ago when the only info on the web about Tiki Gardens was a collection of postcard folder images at the Imaginary World website. My journey of compiling info went beyond my wildest dreams.

The Quest for Gene Rains just might prove to be as unexpectedly rewarding. I bet there are photos of Gene Rains in concert sitting in someones drawer somewhere.

Let the quest be taken up!
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikigardener on 2004-06-08 22:52 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 11:04 pm   Permalink

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~pckg21c/music/music07/mu_rains.html

Image of the cover for Rains in the Tropics.

Same cover, with track listing.
http://www.kpr.ku.edu/retro/gallery/exotica/rains.htm

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-06-08 23:14 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation