[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Gene Rains-exotica musician- info wanted
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Gene Rains-exotica musician- info wanted
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 3:32 pm   Permalink

Just picked up the Stordahl/Rains LP! Can't wait to get it home and give it a listen!!!!!! Woo Hoo

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WheelerIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-24 1:56 pm   Permalink

Just a quick note on the "Magic Island Revisited" album. Gene only plays between the songs of Alex. Sound odd? I thought so too, but the liner notes explain that in order for the listener to "stay"..."in the Magic Islands uninterrupted", Gene's music would come in to serve as a "beautiful bridge" between Alex's interpretations. These bridges last only a few seconds.

For my taste, Alex is a bit stringy and syrupy on "M.I.R." and I much prefer Gene's own "Lotus Land". But if you find "M.I.R." for a buck or two somewhere it's worth picking up for the pages of pictures included with the liner notes.

View Profile of WheelerIsland Send a personal message to WheelerIsland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-27 6:12 pm   Permalink

i just won a gene rains record on ebay for $12!

"rains in the tropics" is anyone here guilty of selling this bad boy to me???

either way...BONUS!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 10:07 am   Permalink

Kooche,
Great find. I have that LP too. IT is one of my top favorite Exotica albums and a cool cover too. Enjoy!
Mark

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 09:16 am   Permalink

rains in the tropics is available once more ... i am just listening to my newly aquired copy and it is SO good...highly recommened!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4028163234&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-21 6:00 pm   Permalink

HOLY CRAP!!! Look at this auction $76.00 for "Far Across The Sea"?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4702030847&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And theres another copy up wit a starting bid of twenty five cents!

Tiki Gardener
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King of Jingaling

Posted: 2005-08-16 08:54 am   Permalink

The link to the tracklist for "Rains in the Tropics" is dead.

Could somebody supply the track list?

Thanks

View Profile of King of Jingaling Send a personal message to King of Jingaling  Goto the website of King of Jingaling     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-16 8:31 pm   Permalink

Gene Rains "Rains in the Tropics"

Side 1:
1. Bancock Cock Fight
2. Tiki
3. Song for Delilah
4. Mapuana
5. Soshu Night Serenade
6. Off Shore

Side 2:
7. Shadow of Love
8. Lonely Winter
9. I Will Always Love You (no, not the Whitney Houston one)
10. Flamingo
11. Shangri-la
12. Jasmine and Jade

and I must say, this is one of my top faviorite LPs!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Digitiki 2005-08-16 20:32 ]

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-19 08:29 am   Permalink

Mark (Digitiki), it is an understatement to say the archival information on Gene Rains is scarce. It looks like almost everything about him on the internet is from the same source, probably you (e.g., Wikipedia cites Tiki Central and the original contributor was a Yavaz, the name of your former Latin band, an unlikely coincidence).

I found a sprinkling of Gene Rains live performance articles (ads) in the 1960s from newspaper archives. The earliest...

The Chicago Tribune June 12, 1960

A review by Will Leonard of The Chicago Tribune dated June 19, 1960 observed that “The Polynesian Village has a relaxed, easy going show in the traditional style, with the Kent Ghirard dancers undulating, the Gene Rains quartet syncopating, and Kenny Black’s orchestra cooperating. The Ghirard girls, playing a return, operate with split bamboos, feathered gourds, imaginary canoes, black light, and nimble torsos. Danny Kaleikini sings the good old ‘Hawaiian War Chant,’ two grass skirted beef trust gals called the Tu-Tus do a heavy footed hula, and the melodies of the 50th state fill the air... Coming August 1: Arthur Lyman and his group...”

The Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago, where Gene Rains performed, is beautifully explored in this Tiki Central thread by Sabu and other TC contributors...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=34213&forum=2&start=0

The next seems an unlikely location for a Gene Rains performance...

The Southeast Missourian December 12, 1962

The Colony Club was located in East Cape Girardeau, Illinois, hardly my idea of a tiki Mecca. One article on Midwest illegal gambling (“Before there was Vegas there was the Midwest”) cited the Colony Club. It was one of about six or seven night clubs in the area that could afford to bring in big name performers because of the business in the back of the club. Apparently, the Purple Crackle was the most famous, opening its doors in 1939: “Legends like Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington and Woody Herman made the Crackle a preferred stop on the Memphis-St. Louis-Chicago circuit.” For more reading on this, there are some interesting stories here: http://midwestillegals.webs.com/illinoisstories.htm

The original Colony Club was destroyed by a fire in 1959, according to this blog post by Fred Lynch at http://www.semissourian.com/blogs/flynch/entry/36282/...

“G.D. Fronabarger shot this picture of the fire that destroyed the Colony Club between McClure and East Cape Girardeau, Ill. on June 8, 1959. The story was published in the Southeast Missourian that afternoon.

Fire Destroys Colony Club; Owner Jumps to Safety

Southern Illinois' most plush nightspot, the Colony Club, located 4 miles east of Cape Girardeau at the junction of Highways 146 and 3, was destroyed by fire thought to have originated in the kitchen about 6 a.m. today. The loss to the main buildings housing the dining room, and adjacent buildings was estimated to be over $150,000 by observers. Damaged was reported to be partly covered by insurance.”

The place was rebuilt and it was in the new Colony Club that Gene Rains performed.

The final item was from a Los Angeles Times review by Elmer Pasta dated November 14, 1969 that reads in part “Buddy Fo, in a kind of budding Don Ho follow-up, has brought into Hop Louis’s Latitude 20 in Torrance an able troupe of colorful musicians and dancers to further prove to Mainlanders that ‘the old can live with the new’... The revue contained an even sample of Hawaii past and present... Well-practiced backup group for the entire show consisted of Henry Allen, guitarist-arranger; Gene Rains, vibes-organ; Eddie Kam, bass; and Harry Chang, drums... The lush tropical setting of the Latitude 20 is perfect atmosphere for this kind of fine family entertainment...”

Tiki-Kate started a Tiki Central thread on Latitude 20 here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32581&forum=2

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 09:11 am   Permalink

Tom,
AMAZING!! Wow, that is some serious secret agent work there! At last we can see that Rains was popular enough to play on the main land. This has got to be a rare find!!!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation