FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Kill your television...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kill your television...
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 08:40 am   Permalink

TV is getting better and worse at the same time. For better....the guys who remodel homes for the families that can't afford it. The extreme makeovers, cosmetic surgeries and the home improvement. For worse, I won't even go there because it's not worthy of mention.
Fortunately our kids get hammered about doing there homework. My oldest is in the groove and ready to go to a university. The youngest just caught on this year and will be following the same path. They watch TV only after all there other more important activities are finished. Period. Tough love.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 06:15, tikifish wrote:
Getting rid of your TV for the betterment of your kids sounds like a good idea, but remember, they will be mercilessly teased by their classmates for not knowing what's cool or who's in or out or the latest music video or whatever. They will be seen as freaks, only one step away from the Amish.

A cousin of mine raised her daughters without TV (they kept one in the closet for emergency use). The older daughter was her high schools' valadictorian, studied for a year in Japan, and is now at Harvard. But I bet I could kick her butt at GoldenEye on N64 !

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-03 11:35 am   Permalink

DO NOT KILL YOUR TV!
this is unamerican! With our fearless leader shipping off jobs as fast as he can I see no reason to kill a profitable industry. for 12 years the TV biz was very good to me and many people make a fine living producing this junk for as long as they can stand it, (I've had my fill, but not everyone has. as for other peoples kids... anytime I hear "its for the children" I retract in horror, most times its a cover story to trample on my lifestyle. TV is how americans spread our depravity which will in time infect the entire world and bring the american way of life to everone and only then will we know a lasting world peace. If you are against TV you are advocating WAR and dischord, you are standing in the way of world peace and therefore will never be able to win any beauty pagents, miss america included! this talk of KILLING anything, even your TV shows your prediliction for warmongering, hang your head in shame.

TV is king,

View Profile of Bwana Tiki Send a personal message to Bwana Tiki  Email Bwana Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 11:50 am   Permalink

you're putting me on, right?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 2:43 pm   Permalink

Bart: "TV Sucks!"

Homer: "I know you're upset right now, boy, so I'll pretend I didn't hear that!"

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki

Posted: 2004-04-03 3:36 pm   Permalink

wrong

View Profile of Bwana Tiki Send a personal message to Bwana Tiki  Email Bwana Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-03 11:35, Bwana Tiki wrote:
If you are against TV you are advocating WAR and dischord, you are standing in the way of world peace and therefore will never be able to win any beauty pagents, miss america included! this talk of KILLING anything, even your TV shows your prediliction for warmongering, hang your head in shame.

TV is king,

The last UFO headed for Planet Loonyville just left. If you pack your bags soon enough, you may make the evening shuttle.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki

Posted: 2004-04-03 4:00 pm   Permalink

your quote decontextulizes my words and serves to point out how the forces of evil will stop at nothing to paint our one true god in a poor light. I'm not a looney, far from it I am a bastion of reason and rightmindedness. Love your TV as it loves you. we are almost there, our culture is on the brink of bringing world peace through sitcoms. soon everyone will know the sweet tast of gatoraid and be renewed. We will not rest until every man woman and child can order a Jack LaLane power juicer from the comfort of their own ranch style house. How can we expect people to be civilized unless they can watch "Cribs" for guidence? without the sacred blue flicker where will people turn for comfort and true fulfillment? how can we speak of killing that that gives our life meaning? where the hell did I leave my rum? uh... I gotta go, something is out of place.

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 5:30 pm   Permalink

Great moments in kill your TV history:

Film & Video catagory -
1. Wendy O. Williams (WOW) careens a bus through a wall of TV's in a Plasmatics video.
2. Robert Deniro as Travis Bickle in the film Taxi Driver slowly rocks his TV back & forth until he finally pushes it over on the floor and it explodes.
3. David Bowie as a desperate alien in The Man Who Fell To Earth winds up gazing at a bank of TV's all tuned to different channels and slowly going insane.

Song catagory -
1. TV Eye - the Stooges
2. TVOD - the Normal
3. I Wanna Kill My TV - the Xterminators

Theme record album catagory -
Phil Austin's Roller Maidens From Outer Space

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 5:40 pm   Permalink

Uh, Hanford.....lock this thread.

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-03 17:40, donhonyc wrote:

Hey Don, check out the U-Moderate topic at the Main Discussion Area.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki

Posted: 2004-04-03 6:00 pm   Permalink

Hold yer horses...
Quote:

On 2004-04-03 17:40, donhonyc wrote:

it is not my understanding that Hanford locks threads the moment someone has a different opinion from the person who starts the thread. the fact of the matter is that many of my friends make TV shows, and I think it is a bad idea to kill your TV. in fact it is a good idea to turn on your TV and keep people employed. stay tuned for another person earning enough money to uy a home, stay tuned for people earning money to send their kids to college, stay tuned for americans who still have good jobs, at least the ones that have not been sent to Canada! why would you want to turn people away from american made product? everyone knows where the off button is on their TV... and it is in the ON posistion for most of us. Kill social malcontent, kill pointless protest, kill snobism, kill your wheatgrass, but be kind to your TV Set! real people with real jobs is not something to through to the wayside, like it or spike it it is your culture. it is, even now, becoming the ONE CULTURE, for one world.

we will never stop,
NEVER,

Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-03 17:30, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Great moments in kill your TV history:

Song catagory -
1. TV Eye - the Stooges
2. TVOD - the Normal
3. I Wanna Kill My TV - the Xterminators

4. "Television, drug of the nation. Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation"
-Disposable Heroes of Hypocracy

-Z

(if I got the lyric wrong, too bad, I don't have time to Google it... Seinfeld is on)

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 11:36 am   Permalink

"TV Party"...BLACK FLAG

Not necessarily a literal anti-TV song, all depends on what angle you look at it from.

PS...according to Scott Asheton of The Stooges "TV" in "TV Eye" didn't stand for television it meant something "dirty" about the the ladies.....

For more ethereal TV listening check out Neil Young's song 'Motion Pictures' from the 'On the Beach' album.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-04-04 11:44 ]

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 11:36 pm   Permalink

Wow...speak of the devil.

More evidence on the detrimental effects of TV on kids. USA Today just released this report Sunday.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-04-05-tv-bottomstrip_x.htm

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-04-04 23:37 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation