FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Barrel Mugs - opinions?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Barrel Mugs - opinions?
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 5:08 pm   Permalink

Barrel Mugs seem to occupy a dark corner of Tiki, with little popular enthusiasm for their existence. I walked past a pair of them in an antiques shop a couple of days ago, thinking 'nearly Tiki', and looked for something more interesting. But, there's a recipe in the Grog Log that prescribes a barrel mug as the ideal receptacle.

Trader Vic's still does a rum barrel and Don the Beachcomber did something similar in the past, but is this an aspect of Tiki Culture that could easily slip away without anyone noticing?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 6:29 pm   Permalink

yes, seems like most people dont talk about the naval or nautical stuff much here. only the tiki, but to me a tiki bar is not, without all of the sea going junk all over the place. i've been looking for the kahiki barrel mugs for a while now with no luck.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 8:18 pm   Permalink

I'm always on the lookout for rum barrel mugs but never find them. Now, of course, you have to make sure it's a rum barrel and not a whiskey barrel which is definitely not tiki. The ones with the bar or restaurant name on them go for decent enough money on ebay (meaning I've yet to win one).

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 9:58 pm   Permalink

I love barrel mugs. But the ines I usually see scream "Velcomin to za BeeeeeeeeerHaus!"
TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 10:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 17:08, Trader Woody wrote:
Trader Vic's still does a rum barrel and Don the Beachcomber did something similar in the past, but is this an aspect of Tiki Culture that could easily slip away without anyone noticing?

Trader Woody,

The Mai-Kai still does the Rum Barrel as well. Tiki Farm produces the mugs and they are sold in the gift shop, when in stock.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 1:37 pm   Permalink

Dave, one of the owners of the Mai Kai says they go through about 300 barrel mugs a month. There are a lot of them out there...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-05 08:50 am   Permalink

i got three orchids barrels about a month ago. no handles. they're an odd pinkish orange glaze, not very attractive. they almost look like pumpkins. the price was right, tho ~ 3 of them for 10. i consider them like some of the coconut shells, they're fine to serve drinks to folks who don't really attach too much significance, and if it gets dropped i'm not bothered. ahoy! btw i've seen plenty of handled barrel mugs with markings often from england or u.s.a. i think there was a "tankard" fad at some point ~ i think they never really saw the inside of a polynesian establishment. my $.02 - j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-05 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

Trader Woody wrote:
...this an aspect of Tiki Culture that could easily slip away without anyone noticing?

TW~

I agree, and I too love the rum barrel mugs. I do find them quite often on ebay. I am trying to find one, yes, just one, Aku Aku barrel mug. I do find them on ebay, but there are others that are willing to spend more than me on them, so I do get outbid.

I like the barrels for their heftiness and for the fact that they have the ability to hold a few more ounces than your average sized tiki mug.

I also find it quite humorous, in my own mind, of how it looks like someone is drinking rum straight-from-the-barrel when they drink from the barrel mugs.

The nostalgia of the old Trader Vic's artwork showing topless wahines and drunken males on a sandy beach with toppled over rum barrels also make this a 'must have' part of my tiki collection along side of my coconut mugs.

Just my 2 coconuts (and rum barrels) worth.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-05 10:24 am   Permalink

did anyone else cringe regarding the fate of the rum barrels in 'pirates of the carribean?' (movie, not ride)

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-05 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-05 10:19, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
I like the barrels for their heftiness and for the fact that they have the ability to hold a few more ounces than your average sized tiki mug.

That's a very good point - there's certainly a place for them in a well-stocked Tiki bar. I've never come across any branded barrel mugs, but there seem to be quite a few 'generic' ones around, probably made in England. I'm not sure of the reason for the popularity here, or what era they were produced in, so perhaps I should investiage further on the Brit-Barrel phenomena.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-05 3:43 pm   Permalink

yes you guys are right, the mai kai still uses and sells their barrel mug for their rum barrel drink. i have been to the mai kai too many times to count, and in my opinion it is by far one of the best drinks on the menu.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-05 4:00 pm   Permalink

Both Wade and Sylvac made Barrel mugs in the UK , so the unbranded ones can be worth a bit.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 5:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-05 16:00, atomictonytiki wrote:
Both Wade and Sylvac made Barrel mugs in the UK

That's worrying - mention those manufacturers, and you're in the territory of old women with poodles and pictures of sad clowns on the wall.........

Trader Woody

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-06 11:29 pm   Permalink

Here's an interesting barrel mug to say the least:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BARREL-MADE-OF-TEAK-FROM-THE-HMS-TERRIBLE-LADYSMITH_W0QQitemZ320003021874QQihZ011QQcategoryZ101150QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its smaller size might make it more suitable for sipping rums.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 11:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-03 21:58, TikiGardener wrote:
I love barrel mugs. But the ines I usually see scream "Velcomin to za BeeeeeeeeerHaus!"
TG

wellll, ya just haven't been hangin around many harbors or shipyards enuff, then.

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-07-06 23:35 ]

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation