[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ Cachaca
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cachaca
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 2:48 pm   Permalink

Aloha, all! I was just wondering if anybody is as into Cachaca like I am...Cachaca being a sugarcane spirit I fell in love with in Brazil a couple of years back...tastes like a cross between white rum and white tequila...I basically use it to make the Brazilian national drink...the caipirinha...awesome drink...like the mojito, but no mint...muddle half a lime and three tsp. sugar in a rocks glass, top with ice, fill with cachaca, and shake well...I love this stuff, but they don't sell here in New England...I usually have to road trip to Manhattan or Chicago to buy a case...Some of the bartenders I speak to say they are extremely popular drinks, and what with the price of tequila going through the roof due to overcultivation of the Blue Agave plant, this spirit is becoming very popular...I knew it was going to eventually break big in this country when I went to one bar in Rio de Janeiro that had over 300 different brands in stock...I can't even think that there are that many brands of rum...Just thought I'd ask...good stuff great just for shooting with a lime or even sugared lime...Look for it... Grey

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-20 2:56 pm   Permalink

Wow, Chef... you drink some interesting stuff!

View Profile of TikiMel Send a personal message to TikiMel  Email TikiMel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 2:57 pm   Permalink

Jes' tryin' to keep up with you guys....

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 3:20 pm   Permalink

Say I want to claim the title as the first tiki central cachaca pusher!! Here's my post from 7/11 under the thread "Demerara Rum and Intoxica":

Posted: 2002-07-11 10:40

Everyone needs to go out and try some Cachaca (last c has a squiggle under it)... it's new to my market as far as I know... it's a native Brazilian liquor distilled straight from the fermented sugar syrup rather than converting to molasses first as you do in rum... it tastes like a "tequila rum." It's been around since the 1500's in Brazil I think, but only recently has its image improved to make it a worthy cocktail and sipping liquor for rich americans. It's pronounced ka-sha-sa

The main drink is a great alternative to a margarita. Tastes much more exotic and tropical: Mix a jigger or two of Cachaca with a couple jiggers of fresh lime juice and a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. shake with ice and pour... it's a Caipirinha (kai-per-een-ya i think)

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 3:24 pm   Permalink

Well, Sir,I digress to you...Not bad for a 'Bama Boy :lol: But I don't like brown sugar in it and have only seen limes, not juice in it...it looks kinda cool and rustic with all the lime pulp and rind in it...but give yourself a pat on the back for tootin' the horn on this one! Grey

snarkoutgirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-20 5:18 pm   Permalink

My husband got one of those drinks when we went to a Brazilian restaurant on a trip to New York City. Yummy!

Haven't tried finding the liquor out here in Texas, though.

Stefani

View Profile of snarkoutgirl Send a personal message to snarkoutgirl  Email snarkoutgirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 5:31 pm   Permalink

according to an argentinian friend, we are getting royally screwed on the price of this stuff here in the states: it's the cheapest liquor in south america, doled out in massive quantities. at popular venues in brazil, you get your first drink for 50 cents and refills for 25 cents... the same liquor sold for $1/bottle in brazil (cachaca 51) is $20/bottle in atlanta.

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 6:42 pm   Permalink

Well, yep, you are right about the markup in the States ....still, I figure that it tastes better that a lot of the rum I've had in the Carribean, especially the metallic tasting crap they serve in the Bahamas...and it's nice to have a couple of bottles stashed in the ol' Tiki bar for those that want something different...I tell ya, stocking the bar with those obscure liquors sure helps the feeling that you bar is so full...if for some reason my buds clean me out of the staples, they aren't gonna touch the 30 plus bottles of the other stuff on their own accord...you know, Slivovitz, Armagnac, B&B, Bison Grass vodka, that kind of stuff...and usually the cachaca gets pass over, but I'm thrilled to drink this until the tequila and rum come back into the scene...We'll just have to hope that more of it starts coming into the country and price wars start bringing the price down...Grey

TikiMel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-20 6:45 pm   Permalink

$1 in Brazil and $20 in the states????

Attention Centralites shopping in Brazil: Look for cachaca on the bottom shelf next to the 'Nighttrain'

View Profile of TikiMel Send a personal message to TikiMel  Email TikiMel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-20 6:46 pm   Permalink

I have a nasty suspicion that Night Train would cost $20 in Brazil, no?

TheTikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-20 6:51 pm   Permalink

Did some research and was able to find through my buddy at HiTimes Liquor in Costa Mesa, CA that they have 6 different brands of this elixir and they range in price from $12.00 to $16.00. It comes highly recommended. -TheTikiGuy

View Profile of TheTikiGuy Send a personal message to TheTikiGuy  Email TheTikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-20 9:06 pm   Permalink

The best place to drink a caipirinha...

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/issues/2002-05-16/citylife29.html/1/index.html

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Porgy McNasty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-21 04:55 am   Permalink

Hey Cachaša drinkers!

http://www.maria-brazil.org/batidas.htm
http://www.maria-brazil.org/caipirinha.htm
http://www.brazilcommunity.com/en/cuisine_caipirinha_sake.asp

Finally try this google search (with correct spellings):
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Cacha%C3%A7a+Caipiri%C3%B1ha+OR+Caipirinha&btnG=Google+Search

George

View Profile of Porgy McNasty Send a personal message to Porgy McNasty  Email Porgy McNasty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Caber-Net
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-21 08:55 am   Permalink

Hey Chef,
We got it here in CT. Been drinking caipirinha for about 5 years now. A navy boy told us about it and we did some research. With all things Latin so hot right now we've been getting alot of requests. A high end Brazillian cafe just opened not too far from my store. We carry three brands: Pitu, Pirapora and Pirassununga 51. I'll let you know next time I head up your way and I'll make a delivery. Of course I'll have to test to make sure nothing was harmed during the trip.
~Cab

View Profile of Caber-Net Send a personal message to Caber-Net  Email Caber-Net     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Porgy McNasty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-21 12:02 pm   Permalink

try looking for a Cachaša called "Nŕga Ful˘".

it is meant to be smooth, whereas the 51 & pitu are generally referred to as rotgut.

View Profile of Porgy McNasty Send a personal message to Porgy McNasty  Email Porgy McNasty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation