[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Cachaca
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Cachaca
gonegoannas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-15 2:02 pm   Permalink

I prefer Leblon. It was very hard to find until the last year of so and now it is everywhere. It has hints of citrus in the flavor and very smooth. I prefer it over 51 and Pitu.

View Profile of gonegoannas Send a personal message to gonegoannas  Email gonegoannas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 06:48 am   Permalink

For the easily-available, high-quality Cachaças, I like Beleza Pura. Strong tastes, good tastes, smooth enough, and still very much a cachaça. Leblon, Sagatiba, Boca Loca and Cabana are all over-distilled in my opinion and closer to vodka than cachaça. Pitu and 51 are not what I'd consider to be high-quality.

My favorite though, is Fazenda Mae De Ouro. Fantastic tastes, quite smooth, and a lot of complexity. Alas, it's not very easy to find since it has limited distribution in the States.

I've only managed to find 1 aged cachaça, Rochinha 5-year-old. It's very good, but the aging has smoothed out a lot of the tastes that make a cachaça a cachaça. A caipirinha with this stuff is almost a waste of time since the tastes don't come through enough, and it's not quite sippable.

That though, is my limited knowledge of cachaças, which isn't much. There are hundreds available in the US - I was in one store that had probably 120-150 different types - and well over 30,000 brands are made by more than 30,000 distilleries in Brazil.

More info than you might ever want to know about cachaça:
http://www.deltatranslator.com/cachaca.htm

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-17 3:57 pm   Permalink

If you can't get your hands on any cachaca,but have access to a Rhum Agricole(like La Mauny or Saint James),try it with that.Both are made by distilling the sugar cane juice where as rum is made with the by-product of sugar,molasses.
I like to make my Mai Tai's with a gold rum and either a gold or white agricole every now and then just to mix things up a bit.It adds an extra zing to the drink.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Woodtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-26 11:34 am   Permalink

Saw this in Bevmo today and it looked interesting. After reading some about Cachaca, sounds like I should try it. Does anyone know more about this type? They had a gold and a white. I love the gold bottle, made me want to buy it just because it would look cool on the shelf with the mugs and such! Anyone try this and like it?

View Profile of Woodtiki Send a personal message to Woodtiki  Email Woodtiki Goto the website of Woodtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 3:18 pm   Permalink

I find cachaca to be a hangover inducing beverage, but you gotta try some caiparinha's...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 2:47 pm   Permalink

I have both cachacas shown in the photo. Last week I took advantage of apricots on our tree and mint spreading like wildfire in our backyard. I was inspired by an article in the latest Imbibe Magazine on smashes. So this is what I whipped up. I handed it to my girlfriend to taste and she wouldn't give it back.

Apricot Smash
1 1/2 oz cachaca
1 apricot
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz rock candy syrup
1/4 oz apricot brandy
6 mint leaves
1 dash of peach bitters.

Muddle the mint leaves with lime juice and apricot. Add rest of ingredients, shake with ice, and strain into rocks glass with ice.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 3:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-27 14:47, arriano wrote:
I have both cachacas shown in the photo. Last week I took advantage of apricots on our tree and mint spreading like wildfire in our backyard. I was inspired by an article in the latest Imbibe Magazine on smashes. So this is what I whipped up. I handed it to my girlfriend to taste and she wouldn't give it back.

Apricot Smash
1 1/2 oz cachaca
1 apricot
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz rock candy syrup
1/4 oz apricot brandy
6 mint leaves
1 dash of peach bitters.

Muddle the mint leaves with lime juice and apricot. Add rest of ingredients, shake with ice, and strain into rocks glass with ice.

Arriano, I will be trying this recipe in the very near future. Looks delicious.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Woodtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-28 5:06 pm   Permalink

Yes, great recipe Arriano! I just made an apricot syrup, but wasn't so great when I mixed it with drinks. Maybe I'll try this instead. Will have to pick up a bottle of the Cachaca. Thanks for the recipe!

View Profile of Woodtiki Send a personal message to Woodtiki  Email Woodtiki Goto the website of Woodtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-17 9:17 pm   Permalink

Cachaça (pronounced Ka-Sha-Sa)

Me Like

Ypióca Gold
and
Germana Amber

Would like to mix with fresh sugarcane juice lime and ice.

Also would like to try more Rhum Agricole.

View Profile of TikiSpeer Send a personal message to TikiSpeer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation