FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Discotheque Exotique ( Lets see yer exotica vinyl! )
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Discotheque Exotique ( Lets see yer exotica vinyl! )
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 10:25 pm   Permalink

So given the discussion of Gene Rains, and some fine images of vinyl lp covers in Tiki Finds. I was thinking for the edification of the collector of Exotica Vinyl that those of you with the ability to scan lp covers, or take and post digital photos should have a thread to exhibit these fine sonic gateways to times past.

And it would help the begining collector to know what to keep his eyes open for.

I just had a major find, but am scanner/camera-less at the moment.

But I am happy I found the Gene Rains "Far across the sea" lp for $3.00

I think both traditional and "exotica" ala Denny should be represented. With no trash talking between the fans of the two genres. Heck surf could even worm its way into this.

So whos up first? Elucidate mate!
TG

Ok, heres some in the Gardener Collection.
I'll add track listings and descriptions as I have time. The images aren't the greatest, as the digital camera I borrowed from work is only 2 megapixels...

Lee Adeo "Paradise Regained"
Which has a cool heavy cardboard cover with a pineapple shaped cutout revealing a glimpse of the inner sleeve.

The inner sleeve...

"A Bunch of Bongos"
Not Polynesian, but actually a pretty good "bongo" record. Better recorder than most of this genre.

Back cover.

Good ole Less!

Back cover.

Whats wrong with this label???

Mills Brothers Great Hawaiian Hits.
Ok, notice the tiki that has traveled from the Forbidden Island? Apparently he wasn't forbidden to leave...

The working mans Les Paul.

I need a better camera to do this one justice.

Back cover.

Your band. But I want to know why in the hell the last song on the album is 76 TROMBONES!?!

A recent acquisition.

Detail from back cover.

Unfortunately they feature the accordian in nearly every song!

Nowhere as good as Mr Denny's, but still pretty cool.

THAT album...

More bachelor pad as I remember. But it does have Miserlou and Caravan on it.

My personal fave.

Back cover.

A close up of what appears to be a Track listing card inserted into the shrink wrap. I'm not removing the wrap to find out!

Traditional style, well recorded.

Close up of cover detail.

Not tropical, not space age, but a some mellow jazz inspired by the show that had some great footage of the war in the Pacific. Actually plays well with Mr Denny and that style of Exotica. And what a cool cover. I don't think the jet pictured was in service for more than a few years.

Rear cover.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-04-09 00:41 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 12:47 pm   Permalink

Scott, do you mean like THIS:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7878&forum=1&76

This is actually the (very recent) thread that inspired the Gene Rains post...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-04 6:14 pm   Permalink

Indeed, I lost track of that one.

But It would be cool to do a front cover and back cover shot with track listings.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 6:34 pm   Permalink

this is a great collector's guide idea for a book ...made just to shed light on exotic sounds...it'd sell...and it'd boost prices too...

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 12:10 am   Permalink

My fav.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 12:45 am   Permalink

Hey Swanky,
Whats the track listing? And maybe a quick blurb on style, recording quality etc?

I've never seen that one.
TG

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 01:01 am   Permalink

It's Hapa Haole music, with vocals!

It's an EP with many standards like "Hawaiian Hospitality", "The Hukilau Song", "Mai Poina", "Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai", "Yellow Ginger Lei", "Blue Lei"

That's what I recall off the top of my head.

It's got a great female vocal by a gal who I can find nothing on. Well, actually, it lists her by a single name and there are too many people out there with that name to know who she is!

I chose a couple off this record for the music on the Hukilau site.

There are (well, in my experience) too few records with vocals, and of those, many are not that great. It's as though after Alfred Apaka, everyone gave up. Haunani sounds like a man. Other men sound like women. It's just really rare to find a record with all the songs sung and all great. This is it. There are a few others I have found, but very few.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 1:23 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

I LOVE those guys, ever since I heard your recordings on the Hukilau site. Very cool record cover too.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-09 12:44 am   Permalink

Bump, i got a crappy camera to add some images...

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-09 08:45 am   Permalink

I mostly collect for the covers. I probably haven't even listened to half of these!

[ This Message was edited by: tikifish on 2004-04-09 08:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikifish on 2004-04-09 08:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikifish on 2004-04-09 08:52 ]

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-09 08:54 am   Permalink

Then theres THIS one I WISH I could listen to - Les Baxter with Theremin to boot!But they are 78 RPM so I cannot listen to the exotic pleasures within the folds of this mysterious cover...

[ This Message was edited by: tikifish on 2004-04-09 08:55 ]

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-09 08:56 am   Permalink

And this one is just plain funny. LIMBO PARTY!!!

Mganga
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-09 09:26 am   Permalink

Music Out of the Moon was paired with Music For Peace of Mind and released on 12" LP also. I'm not a huge fan of those releases, but they are interesting for the time period.

FYI: I believe those two sets were the first uses of a color photograph on a music release.

View Profile of Mganga Send a personal message to Mganga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sillisculpt

Posted: 2004-04-09 09:38 am   Permalink

damn, i need to advance myself with tech matters. i certainly could fill entire data bases with some of my records cover images. but it is nice to see a few that i don't have or have never seen.

[ This Message was edited by: sillisculpt on 2004-04-09 09:40 ]

View Profile of sillisculpt Send a personal message to sillisculpt  Email sillisculpt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Barteld
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-30 4:53 pm   Permalink

wow, this post is amazing! I like the albumcovers very much, i don't have any to show you, but people who do are most welcome to do so.!

Bye

View Profile of Barteld Send a personal message to Barteld      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation