FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Discotheque Exotique ( Lets see yer exotica vinyl! )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Discotheque Exotique ( Lets see yer exotica vinyl! )
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-30 10:55 pm   Permalink

here are a few new records i scored this last week...one of them is a signed martin denny disc...to me a real find but i suppose to many in this loco world...it's meaningless...all the better for me!

i recently was lucky enough to win a gene rains record online and MAN was i happy to hear it...there is another, LOTUS LAND - on it's way to me that i won since hearing the first one and if anyone is interested in owning a copy of it that is a legitimate excuse for me to go BACK to the record store and rifle the exotica section once more...i left so many behind...i know that a copy is there as i flipped past it when i found this bunch...now i need to know how many records mr gene rains has published...

when i get my RCA/USB converter this week i'll make some mp3s for y'all...such great mellow tunes!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 01:29 am   Permalink

I just got Lotus Land myself, cool tunes.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-01 4:38 pm   Permalink

Koochie,
Hey great collections there. I just found the "evening at the Royal Tahitian" LP too. It isn't half bad. There isn't much about the Royal Tahitian on the record. Does anyone know where this is at?
Mark

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:31 am   Permalink

Some great-looking covers there! The Royal Tahitian cover is incredible! If the music is only half as good as the cover it'll still be amazing.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:38 am   Permalink

the royal tahitians record is fantastic...just like the cover suggests...as soon as i can encode and share it i will do so!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 12:55 pm   Permalink

I have the Royal Tahitian LP digitized. I can post it if you like. The only thing I don't have is the software the removes the pops and clicks, so it is a "straight from vinyl" transfer. Still sounds good.

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 2:39 pm   Permalink

actually the vocal half of that record leaves me flat...it sounds like frat kid doing karaoke for his brothers...but the instrumental side is AAAAAAALL good! i really don't see how the 2 are on the same record...

i'd love to have that LP digitized but what i would REALLY like is my damn audio conversion device...i love how a company can process an order but not not deliver a product because it's not in the warehouse...total BS!

kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 12:25 pm   Permalink

call me crazy but the latest thing i can't stop playing on my turntable is an girl maori college choir...the voice is an unparallelled instrument indeed...choirs are like glee clubs...they have the capacity to SUCK! but this is a great sound...when i can encode i'll post a track or two for you guys to hear...it's really unique! i can't understand a word but that only makes it more mysterious and lovable!

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 08:50 am   Permalink

Hey Kooch, nice covers...
Is the Royal Tahitian the hotel in Tahiti ?? Or just a bar with the same name ??

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 05:11 am   Permalink

Hey folks, I'm back on line (had to buy an external modem) and just in time, it seems!

My my, oh fellow Book of Tiki scholars, 'tis the Royal Tahitian on Riverside Drive in Ontario off course, just look at the sign on page 251 of the book.
A most excellent find, I love finding low budget house band records from the gift shops of extinct Tiki temples!
The R.T. used to have a basement club, and the MC there (whose name escapes me) was an actor who got known playing bit parts as a native in Hollywood movies..must have his name somewhere in my files at home...
Can't read the names on the cover, what do they say?

And Miles, regarding the Augie Goupil record with Thurston Knudson:
T.H. was a totally wacky bongo player who used to have speaking engagements on "primitve" rythms in the atomic age, I will quote from his brochure in my next book:

Mr. Knudson offers a short course of six master lessons in "COMPULSIVE RYTHM", surveying the whole field, to impart the dynamic "feeling" of rythm as a source of inspiration in music or dance composition. In his demonstration lecture Mr. Knudson plays movement-compelling rythms upon his set of six hand-drums, illustrating those "wave-patterns" which are in common use around the world... CRAZY, MAN!

Miss Martha B. Deane, Director of the women's gymnasium of the Department of physical education for women, University of California wrote this in her thank you letter:
Dear Mr. Knudson,
Thank you very much for the excellent report which you left for me....several people who were present at the final demonstration have spoken to me with enthusiasm of the work. It is without question the most interesting theory I have come across, and we are delighted you could present it to our students...

Wonder what "waves" Martha and her enthusiastic PE students felt...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-17 7:34 pm   Permalink

This isn't all of my exotica vinyl, just some recent scores ALL for less than 50 cents (canadian no less!)
I didn't know if I should put it in the thrift store thread in collecting tiki, but I figured since it was all vinyl it should go here woo oo!

[ This Message was edited by: Velvet Ruby on 2004-07-17 19:36 ]

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-17 19:34, Velvet Ruby wrote:
This isn't all of my exotica vinyl

Nor is it all exotica

...but maybe, to the younger set, vinyl is so uncommon that it is "exotic"?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:40 pm   Permalink

um no.

I've been collecting vinyl for about 7 years, and yes I'm aware the only "exotica" album is the les baxter one.
Other people in the thread were sharing non exotica album covers, so I assumed it was ok that I did too.
I said at the beginning of the post that I had thought about putting them in another thread, but hadn't as they all were records and I thought they would fit in here. Sorry! I'll try and be more accurate next time.

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 1:00 pm   Permalink

pitifully small as I have been a university student for the last 5 years and can't afford to pay more than $5 an album..
I didn't include the plethora of run of the mill "Hawaiian" albums I have for accuracy's sake

beatgirlart.com

mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 4:32 pm   Permalink

"An Evening At The Royal Tahitian"
Ok, so here it is finally, a memento for those of you who are avid collectors of long gone Tiki watering holes! This is the Royal Tahitian LP we've been talking about recently. The LP appears to be produced by the RT itself. Featuring a very slow version of "Quiet Village"

CHECK IT OUT - but hurry, this will only be up for a short time!
http://www.gearconcepts.com/rt

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation