[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Weird mug identification
Weird mug identification
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-06 1:17 pm   Permalink

Here's a pair of weird ones I saw on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3905867471&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Image here: http://www.auctionpix.co.uk/users/vyb502964.jpg

Anybody know anything about these? They kind of remind me of Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show.

[ This Message was edited by: Iolani on 2004-04-06 13:18 ]

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 1:45 pm   Permalink

I believe they are supposed to represent First Nations totems, rather than tikis. They come in s & p shakers as well, and are very easy to find in the Canadian antique shops and flea markets.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 2:31 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, I see those all the time. There is a matching teapot, cups, the whole shebang. I can't spit without hitting one!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 3:24 pm   Permalink

haha, I can really picture that one tikifish.
*spitooooey*

Here in Victoria we have SO many souvenir shops full of totem pole carvings and stuff made out of an equivalent to hapa wood. So close...yet so far. I wish I could trade it for poly pop stuff!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 4:56 pm   Permalink

It's a shame they don't each sport a gold tooth.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CowboyMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-06 5:30 pm   Permalink

I have one of these guys (makes sense since I'm in Canada) and I've seen a couple variations with handles and things. He looks good with my other mugs.

But here's the odd thing: I've seen this same mug painted all one colour on eBay as homemade mugs. Perhaps the mold has been working doubletime.

View Profile of CowboyMike Send a personal message to CowboyMike  Email CowboyMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-07 12:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all for the info. I guess I'm not surprised to learn that they are supposed to be NW North American masks - don't quite do that carving and painting tradition justice, though they do make me chuckle a bit. A teapot might be cool.

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 08:19 am   Permalink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1238&item=3715683052&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It's yours for 6.95, thanks to the magic of Ebay!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:16 pm   Permalink

more on e-bay! creamer, sugar bowl and cup.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13755&item=3907125410&rd=1

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation