FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving What the hell to do with a really low ceiling (and a fireplace)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What the hell to do with a really low ceiling (and a fireplace)
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 11:35 am   Permalink

Woody, I would do some Maori swirls on the wood and do a tiki mug shelf on top of the mantel. Swirls can be painted or carved out with a router. I would then have a storage cart on wheels slip into there and roll out when you need it. Somethin like a buffet or a secondary bar.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 4:02 pm   Permalink

On this US telly show they build a giant tiki head over the fireplace..

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monsterhouse/houses/tropical/tropical.html

you could do it with chicken wire and plaster, you could even build some side shelves and hide any bad carpentry with plaster and paint.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-09 1:59 pm   Permalink

"and I do not mean a cheezey one like on Monster House"

Classic! I hated that thing! I loved the concept, just their execution was a little weak I think.

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-04-09 14:02 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-10 12:57 am   Permalink

Have a drink or two and visualize Trader Woody... it will come to you... there's a lot of potential to your space! At least you have a house to work with!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-11 4:06 pm   Permalink

Lake Surfer,

That is both amazing and hilarious! When the pictures came up, I must have been like a cartoon character rubbing both eyes with his fists in disbelief!! It looks better than it ever could in real life!

Some very fine ideas in there, but one thing that's a definite is that prints of the photos you did will be framed and mounted in the Lono Lounge.

Cheers!
Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-11 7:35 pm   Permalink

If your ceiling is low, why not paint it midnight blue (almost black) and put glow in the dark dots on the ceiling to look like stars? In dim light it would make the ceiling look sky high!

I'm to short to be able to read ceiling postcards. I hope my advice does not come too late. Because as we all know, it's all about me.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-11 11:21 pm   Permalink

Makes it worth making the images! Would be scary-realistic if I spent some real time on them... Now you have to support Bosko, Tiki Farm and Seamus since I "placed" their work in your room...

Here's a look with the lights dimmed...

Good luck with your project... savor and enjoy every minute!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-04-11 23:53 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:51 pm   Permalink

Super-cool lighting effects! I'm already finding that I go downstairs expecting to see it looking like your photos and suddenly being hit with the sad reality!

The fireplace will definitely go the Tiki with flaming torches route, though the 'volcanic' rock will probably have to be local Lancashire quarry stone.....

Tikifish, the far room's ceiling could well be painted in the style you mentioned - it's a great idea! (Plus, it'll take me years just to get enough postcards for the main room). We're all short-arses in the TW household too, so there's never going to be anything too high up!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation