FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Thatch drop ceiling in the Hapa Haole Hideaway
Thatch drop ceiling in the Hapa Haole Hideaway
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 5:22 pm   Permalink

This has been a plan for a while and I went through a few ideas. I can't do it a certain way because I am renting. I finally came up with an easy, undestructive plan. With the gracious help of Brad the Beachcomber, who donated the thatch, I have nearly finished.

Here is the panel laid out in the living room. I used jute twine to tie it to 1/4 split 3 inch bamboo all around. Mainly top and bottom. A canter piece will be added too.

Here I have hung the first panel. I drilled into the stucco and ceiling, then ran 18 gauge anodized wire up through the hole. I then had to get in the attic and find the wire sticking up under the insulation. I put a screw in a stud and wrapped the wire around the screw. I then ran the wire through the 4 corners of the panel.

I added the extra cross pieces because the thatch sagged a lot. The are not tied in, just placed.

Here you see a second panel. I used the same wires from the first 2 panels to hang the second and third panels. So there are 4 wires in the center, each supporting the corner of 2 panels.

Another corner

Now I used the bottom wires and put a corner cross member.

This piece is also hung by the center wire that supports the 2 panels.

Here is a finished corner. I used scrap pieces, so it'a little rough. Just dropped the fish from his previous hook.

Here is a second finished corner with the float dropped through.

Here are the 2 finished corners.

I am out of scrap for the last 2 corners, but will try to make something work.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:44 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaloa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-07 5:38 pm   Permalink

Nice idea and job - thanks - gives me a couple ideas myself for the upcoming bar.

View Profile of Kanaloa Send a personal message to Kanaloa  Email Kanaloa Goto the website of Kanaloa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 8:19 pm   Permalink

Looks killer Swank!
Nice job.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-07 10:08 pm   Permalink

Very cool Swanky......is that burlap on the ceiling?

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 12:12 am   Permalink

Yeah, I covered the ceiling in burlap first. I failed to mention that. I did that a few weeks ago. That way, anything you see up there is not white. And it hides the center of the ceiling.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 08:41 am   Permalink

Looking SWANK Swanky! What time is happy hour?

Kanaka

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 09:39 am   Permalink

That ceiling looks great! Very ingenious way of doing it too - and the end result is awesome! too cool, too cool.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 10:20 am   Permalink

This stuff is very light and so the wires hold it fine. And when I move out, I have 12 small holes to deal with, and they may not even show.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 1:37 pm   Permalink

COOOL! Nice job! It must be so much fun working on a project like that! Totally rewarding.
Why do I have a sudden urge to create some New Guinea masks?

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-08 4:05 pm   Permalink

WOW! I can't believe you did that in a rental, it looks totally kik ass! gives me some great ideas on covering yucky white popcorn ceilings.

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 11:59 pm   Permalink

Nice job, my brah...I've been away too long!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 11:14 am   Permalink

That's your good ol' Jawja green bamboo up there.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation